Autopsy Adelaide 63 dftd Dogs 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I agree with that tbh.
It seems like a very popular (and to some degree obvious) opinion, but I genuinely thought our first quarter was one of our best for the year.

I know stats can be twisted to suit, but we had better disposal efficiency and less TOs than the Crows.
More I50's, just 2 less marks inside 50 and 2 less shots.

Imo our game style held up just fine.
But as the game progressed fatigue set in and our skills and intensity deteriorated. Then the risks in our game strategy were exposed.

Adelaide have developed the technique of effective short kicks out of congestion. They take less time to dispose of the ball but do it accurately over 10 metres or so, often deliberately with a side kick to a player in the open. The time from pick up (hand to foot) was super quick and accurate in telephone box congestion. Half bent over they can pick up and dispose almost in one action.

It would suggest many drills over the off season to perfect this (as well as handballs).

Our players under pressure take too long to go from hand to foot. As a result we are often forced to keep hand balling until we get someone free.

We might have quick hands but it looks to me as if we do not have quick feet.

Result is we over hand ball, or because of the constant pressure is being applied we kick in a hurry without looking, use up and under kicks, scrubbers or kicks with no advantage to our players further up the field.

Relying on quick handballs is a double edged sword when it comes to conditions like yesterdays. Some work is needed on improving our ability to be able to get the ball to foot more quickly and accurately if we are not to be forced down the ineffective paths we were yesterday.

But as the game progressed fatigue set in and our skills and intensity deteriorated. Then the risks in our game strategy were exposed.

I accept that (although, even still if Gowers kicks his goal in the last we're right back in it), but there's a degree of risk in anything we'd do.

How much happier would we have all been if we'd kicked long all game to 3s and 4s on 1??
We'd probably score even less (certainly have less shots) and would it have helped enough defensively to make a difference?
Not convinced.

Adelaide have developed the technique of effective short kicks out of congestion. They take less time to dispose of the ball but do it accurately over 10 metres or so, often deliberately with a side kick to a player in the open. The time from pick up (hand to foot) was super quick and accurate in telephone box congestion. Half bent over they can pick up and dispose almost in one action.

It would suggest many drills over the off season to perfect this (as well as handballs).

Our players under pressure take too long to go from hand to foot. As a result we are often forced to keep hand balling until we get someone free.

Result is we over hand ball, or because of the constant pressure is being applied we kick in a hurry without looking, use up and under kicks, scrubbers or kicks with no advantage to our players further up the field.

Relying on quick handballs is a double edged sword when it comes to conditions like yesterdays. Some work is needed on improving our ability to be able to get the ball to foot more quickly and accurately if we are not to be forced down the ineffective paths we were yesterday.
Interesting theory Metal. You might be onto something. We obviously don't have a Plan B.

I accept that (although, even still if Gowers kicks his goal in the last we're right back in it), but there's a degree of risk in anything we'd do.

How much happier would we have all been if we'd kicked long all game to 3s and 4s on 1??
We'd probably score even less (certainly have less shots) and would it have helped enough defensively to make a difference?
Not convinced.
Fair enough. Metal's theory probably explains the predicament we were in. Couple that with the lack of a Plan B and that explains what we saw last night.

This is a good observation, but it's also important to place it in context of game style. The crows love to build by foot. They set up offensively to provide kicking options; little leads and one on ones that they're confident of winning across the whole field. Instead, we emphasise running in waves and spreading to provide those handball options as it better suits the make up of our team at present. The result is that when we have a half-chance to kick the ball we're either going long to packs or handballing again to give someone a genuine opportunity to pinpoint a mid- or long-range kick. That broke down repeatedly last night, and will continue to in those conditions.

So while you're right, we do need to get the ball to boot more quickly - we also need to adjust so that in times where it's needed, we're actually offering the options to receive those kicks. It's something we have not yet excelled at under Beveridge, in any part of the ground. It appears in patches but then drops off again. It's tough to reconcile with the game style we've adopted. Both have their strengths and weaknesses of course, and I maintain this handball-heavy game better suits us at present, but there's no doubt we need to get better by foot - and there are a number of contributors to that.

In a twisted and bizarre way I am kind of relieved that we got smacked in this game. Now the expectations for 2018 can be lowered to where they should be.
Look ahead to next week but also look ahead to 2019.
I don't mind losing, what I hate is when players wave the white flag when they believe they can't win.
I personally know members that spend over a thousand bucks a year on memberships, flights etc. , they deserve better.

A Friday night loss ruins the weekend completely. A bad loss is a week-long killer :weary::disappointed:
I wouldn’t be too worried. We have a lot to be proud about with our young list. Our young leaders are in good form and our kids liken Lipinski and Williams are coming along nicely. Keep getting the games into the kids and bring in a top 6 pick in the draft. Things are looking up.

A couple of thoughts...

Hayden Crozier was always a forward as a junior, and played mainly forward in the west - why is he playing as a half back flanker when is clearly not up to it. On a night like last night, I would have put him at full forward.

Our handball club gameplan is suited to the fast track at Etihad and the MCG during September - it is not suited to a monsoonal night in Adelaide. It is very hard for dumb footballers to change their gameplan on a whim - they revert to what they know when under pressure. The smart players on both teams adapted to the conditions very quickly, and stood out amongst the dross. As soon as the monsoon rolled in our odds of winning went from 30/70 to 1/99.

People claiming no plan B need to think things through a bit. A bunch of supporters have a plan B but a premiership coach doesn't?

Think back to Flannagan's book, 'A Wink From The Universe', there's a part from Bev's notes that mentions something along the lines of - Franklin scenario 7, Lance pushes up to the contest...

So not only do we have a plan B, we have plans C, D and E and for individual scenarios in a game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By my count there was 12. About time the media and the rest of the world realised we are not the same playing group and 2016 was a few seasons ago.

Anyhow hang tight and keep dodging the stray bullets.

By my count there was 12. About time the media and the rest of the world realised we are not the same playing group and 2016 was a few seasons ago.

Anyhow hang tight and keep dodging the stray bullets.

Plus Suckling

Just heard on SEN that we had 13 premiership players playing last night, therefore our youth/inexperience argument is a cop out.
The odd thing about that though is we won the flag with a really inexperienced side. I think winning key games provides more experience than an average H&A game but they can’t just say you’re not inexperienced because you won the flag or is that why Carlton Brisbane etc are allowed to get away with that argument?

Just heard on SEN that we had 13 premiership players playing last night, therefore our youth/inexperience argument is a cop out.

Some of those guys won a flag in their first 10 or 20 games. They aren't experienced in any way, shape or form. They are now (or have been) teaching or mentoring kids with 2 or 3 games experience.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics....

People claiming no plan B need to think things through a bit. A bunch of supporters have a plan B but a premiership coach doesn't?

Think back to Flannagan's book, 'A Wink From The Universe', there's a part from Bev's notes that mentions something along the lines of - Franklin scenario 7, Lance pushes up to the contest...

So not only do we have a plan B, we have plans C, D and E and for individual scenarios in a game!

Get what your saying Hard Ball , but to the naked eye nothing much changed from 1st to last.
I've seen enough footy over 50 plus years to know we played dumb wet weather footy.
And what staggers me , Bev decides on one ruck plus Dunkley on the dry decks of Etihad and then brings in Roughy , who lets face it hasn't fired a shot in nearly 2 years , knowing the heavens were about to open.

At the end of the day the Crows were far too good for us , but Bev is certainly not infallible .

Stupidly, I gave us a small chance on Friday night, their outs, Easton back, the kids now with a few games under their belts. I would not have been disappointed if it was a close loss. However that game was painful to watch, all that work to get the ball into our fifty, overhandling it, and then watch it cleanly being kicked down to their forwards for a goal. It put me in such a bad mood, until I watched Essendon beat Geelong anyway.

I know stats only tell part of the story, but Douglas had 21 kicks and no handballs, nearly every Bulldog player that I could see had two or three frees against, their kicking against our over hand balling was a major difference, playing talls as others have said, we were out coached and our game plan was picked apart.

Is it to much to ask to see our team play good footy again, this year seems to be the worst year I can recall for quality footy, from most teams really.

FFS I'm sick of hearing this from the media. It's a rubbish comparison.

They'll drag this old chestnut out time and time again, yet totally overlook total games played and the average age of the team on the park. They do bugger all research, instead returning to the easy answers time and time again.

The problem with the media is that it flogs a dead horse and keeps flogging it until there's nothing left of it.

FFS I'm sick of hearing this from the media. It's a rubbish comparison.

They'll drag this old chestnut out time and time again, yet totally overlook total games played and the average age of the team on the park. They do bugger all research, instead returning to the easy answers time and time again.

The problem with the media is that it flogs a dead horse and keeps flogging it until there's nothing left of it.
Makes you realise what a remarkable feat it was to win a flag with that list in 2016.
Echoes of the 1993 "Baby Bombers" who then finished 4th, 6th, 14th and 8th in the next 4 years before making their way back to the top with that same core of stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back