Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
Well I never thought I would see this
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/tra...14-named-by-lonely-planet-20131028-2wbpm.html

I've been to Adelaide a fair bit over the years for work, holiday, footy, cricket and to catch up with friends, whilst I don't mind the city and actually rate it more highly than a couple of other capital cities (Brisbane, Darwin, Canberra) I wouldn't of thought it top 10 in the world. Adelaide in my experience is kind of quirky and you need to know where to go to find some of the best parts, but it can be really enjoyable.

I want other peoples opinion and if your are basing it on stereotypes you've heard please don't say anything

I don't think it is that surprising.

People seem to forget how awesome we have it in Australia and are often blinded by the peer pressure to crap on Adelaide.

Australian cities are consistently ranked highly in these lists (to visit and livability). There was one a little while ago that had Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane in the top 12 in the world, with Perth at around 17.

Foreigners aren't tainted by the Adelaide hate many in the eastern states have and see it for what it is, and many of them absolutely love it.

I like Adelaide. The Glenelg beach district is a pretty nice area and when I stayed with a mate there for a few weeks he took me to some pretty cool little bars in the CBD. The Hahndorf German Village just outside the city is a nice place to spend a day too.

But I'm pretty easily pleased and I like just about every city I've ever travelled to. I think Belfast is the only city I've been to in the world that I didn't like, and that was more due to a bad experience in a hire car with southern numberplates.

If people visit around when the Fringe, Womad, Clipsal etc is on at the same time the city is buzzing. It's a fantastic time of year to be here (unless you work in the CBD which is me lol) with so much to do and see. Apart from that there's isn't a whole lot on unless you're into the Barossa or outdoors stuff like Kangaroo Island etc.

Hobart was there last year. I think this list has some factors other than 'cool stuff to see' that it takes into account, like the AO opening perhaps.

I couldn't believe it. I no longer trust Lonely Planet :)

we did end up on a horrible beach in Macau once because we trusted LP's directions. It's just an opinion at the end of the day.

Whilst I don't dislike the LP (or any of the other big guides such as Rough Guides and Lets Go) they always have some odd suggestions, and you gotta read some of them with a grain of salt because they talk about just about every single corner of the world like it's on oasis paradise that no human being has ever touched.

One thing to consider with travel guides is that the sort of people lucky enough to score work writing for them are likely to be absolute travel obsessives who see every new place as a magical experience.*

You aren't going to get too many 'too cool for school' types who have a cynical view of everything and look for the worst in places.

*One of the reasons I love travelling btw. As you get older life takes on a 'been there, done that' vibe and travelling to new places remains one of the few things that brings that same feeling of discovery that everything had when you were a kid.

Pfft. Pale Ale isn't even the best of Coopers range.

You're not a Sparkling Ale fan are you? I've always maintained it's just a more expensive version of Emu Export. Scary how similar it tastes.

I'll give you the bud though CLUBMEDhurst, when I was at uni all the best weed came across the border from the Adelaide bikies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pfft. Pale Ale isn't even the best of Coopers range.

Mother's milk to me. I'd stopped drinkin' beer altogether following my return to Melbourne from many years livin' in Europe. Went to live in Marmelaide to study and the first pub I went into decided on a cold paley. My love of the amber was re-ignited

1) coopers sparkling is a great beer. Better than the vintage, better than the pale ale (though both are good beers). Not as good as the stout.

2) LP had Newcastle as a top destination in the world a few years ago. It's a pretty nice town, but, y'know - it's Newcastle.

1) coopers sparkling is a great beer. Better than the vintage, better than the pale ale (though both are good beers). Not as good as the stout.

2) LP had Newcastle as a top destination in the world a few years ago. It's a pretty nice town, but, y'know - it's Newcastle.

Agree on both points.

I'm not a fan of the Sparkling. Tastes like a more expensive version of Emu Export to me.

On the subject of SA beers, West End has to be one of the worst I've ever tasted... and we have some pretty bad ones here in WA.

Actually nearly all low-end Aussie beer is embarrassingly bad. The Europeans don't know how good they've got it if they consider Stella a wife bashing beer.

On the subject of SA beers, West End has to be one of the worst I've ever tasted... and we have some pretty bad ones here in WA.

Actually nearly all low-end Aussie beer is embarrassingly bad. The Europeans don't know how good they've got it if they consider Stella a wife bashing beer.

Hear what you're saying but I'd rather drink Swan/Emu/WestEnd/XXXX/Tooheys/Carlton/VB than Stella.

I like German beer and as far as I'm aware, the most popular cheap beer over there is Oettinger. Not a very nice pils, but get me a fresh Bitburger, Konig or Radeberger and look out. I won't even start on the great Bavarian hefes and lagers (about to go to bed).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back