Adelaide and their early picks

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess would be more than what Adelaide are willing to pay.

While Tom Lynch is a decent player, he doesn’t fit our list profile going forward. So from our perspective, Lynch would be a make weight in any deal, and not the focal point.

In 2016 we traded our picks 2, 31, 51 & 60 for pick 3 and 16.

We didn’t need those later picks, because we also had picks 21 & 22. We did keep two later picks to match academy bids.

So any trade would probably require a top 5 and a late first rounder back, without giving up our second round pick.
Yeah, there is zero chance that would happen.

Tom Lynch is an AA quality player with 4+ years left. We would want a late first for him. He's not just a throw in.

It's fine that you got that deal one year from GWS, but those days seem over. There's no slot machine spitting out draft pick jackpots anymore.

Pick two is the equivalent of pick 11 and 13 - you could hope for something a bit better than that, but that's the ballpark.

There's just no way the Crows or anyone would give up three first round picks for one draft pick. There's every chance you're getting a Tom Boyd, a Watts or a Patton.

Tom Lynch is an AA quality player with 4+ years left. We would want a late first for him. He's not just a throw in.

It's fine that you got that deal one year from GWS, but those days seem over. There's no slot machine spitting out draft pick jackpots anymore.

Pick two is the equivalent of pick 11 and 13 - you could hope for something a bit better than that, but that's the ballpark.

There's just no way the Crows or anyone would give up three first round picks for one draft pick. There's every chance you're getting a Tom Boyd, a Watts or a Patton.

Think the best you could hope for is upgrading to 5 or 6 and if you're lucky nab Rankine. Would take a huge offer to get a top 2 pick in this draft.

I would offer our future first and Adelaide's second for North's pick as long as it is top 10. If we finish the season as poorly as we are currently traveling I'd imagine we would get a PP at 19. So possibly 4 picks in the top 25 or so.
PP, you're dreaming pal. Blues situation is substantially different to Brisbane when they got the pick. A team with 11 top ten picks and another 7 taken 11-20 on their list is not getting a PP. Wasn't your 2017 season ok? Isn't your 2018 season poor mainly because of injuries? Dream on!

PP, you're dreaming pal. Blues situation is substantially different to Brisbane when they got the pick. A team with 11 top ten picks and another 7 taken 11-20 on their list is not getting a PP. Wasn't your 2017 season ok? Isn't your 2018 season poor mainly because of injuries? Dream on!
I wouldn't be giving us one but if we continue the season as poorly as we are going than we will go down as one of the worst sides in recent memory so I think the AFL will.
Look at the quality of the player not where they are drafted. I'd happily trade plenty of those former top 20 picks for former rookies.

The problem the Crows face is that two of their 1st round picks won't have enough weight to grab a top 5 pick (Lukosious & Rankine)

The crows best option might be to trade up their later two x 1st round picks for a pick in the 8 range.

Last edited:

Not sure if you understood my comment in regards to Tom Lynch.

I wasn't criticising him, but he doesn't make a whole lot of sense for our list going forward. Not for what we would have to pay for him. He would be retiring just when our current kids are just hitting their peak and we would hope to start contending.

He would be very valuable for a team going for a premiership now. That's not us.

Why do the crows want to trade Lynch isn't he a point of difference to forwards like Walker, Jenkins, McGovern? I would trade one of the other 3?

Why do the crows want to trade Lynch isn't he a point of difference to forwards like Walker, Jenkins, McGovern? I would trade one of the other 3?

I doubt they would, this is about getting a higher draft pick and trading Lynch or Sloane would facilitate that.

Think the best you could hope for is upgrading to 5 or 6 and if you're lucky nab Rankine. Would take a huge offer to get a top 2 pick in this draft.
To be honest, I agree with that.

The problem the Crows face is that two of their 1st round picks won't have enough weight to grab a top 5 pick (Lukosious & Rankine)

The crows best option might be to trade up their later two x 1st round picks for a pick in the 8 range.
I don't think Rankine is going top 5 anymore.

Not sure if you understood my comment in regards to Tom Lynch.

I wasn't criticising him, but he doesn't make a whole lot of sense for our list going forward. Not for what we would have to pay for him. He would be retiring just when our current kids are just hitting their peak and we would hope to start contending.

He would be very valuable for a team going for a premiership now. That's not us.
Yeah, fair enough. I like the look of Lynch for a developing team like yours, but that's really just opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are looking to open up a space for Fogarty in that forward line. McGovern actually offers a lot as a mobile third tall, though he would play the role differently to Lynch.

Anything can happen but not sure if he drops that far. Don't think he's the consensus pick 2 as he was a few months back. Quite possible Hately leap frogs him into the top 3

Who knows? Unfortunately, as things currently stand the crows look as though they are placed outside the top four S.A. options.

Playing on from there, The crows could then look to trade out pick 1 for 2 top 10 picks and get Rankine and Hately...So they would have lost 4 1st round picks but got two elite players in a superdraft...???
There will be a lot pick exchange if Sloane , Lynch (GC), Gov (wC) and gaff move to other them .

I think we are looking to open up a space for Fogarty in that forward line. McGovern actually offers a lot as a mobile third tall, though he would play the role differently to Lynch.
Freo to sign Jeremy

Freo 2018 1st and 2019 1st to Adelaide
Adelaide 2018 picks 17,20 + Mitch McGov

Freo to sign Jeremy

Freo 2018 1st and 2019 1st to Adelaide
Adelaide 2018 picks 17,20 + Mitch McGov
No thanks.

Adelaide to sign Jeremy instead.

I wouldn't be giving us one but if we continue the season as poorly as we are going than we will go down as one of the worst sides in recent memory so I think the AFL will.
Look at the quality of the player not where they are drafted. I'd happily trade plenty of those former top 20 picks for former rookies.
Carlton are going so badly partially because you guys have traded out Good players in search of draft picks to bring in elite talent in the pointy end of the draft effectively planning your future and accepting that you will bottom out to go up. You cant trade out good players and get high picks then ask for or expect a PP when it was a planned bottoming out

Carlton are going so badly partially because you guys have traded out Good players in search of draft picks to bring in elite talent in the pointy end of the draft effectively planning your future and accepting that you will bottom out to go up. You cant trade out good players and get high picks then ask for or expect a PP when it was a planned bottoming out
This is actually exactly why I wouldn't be giving us one.

That's it. Dangerfield wasn't a great trade, but 9, 28 and Gore for Danger and 50 is still a much better deal than pick 12 (which happened to be 17 after academy players were matched - while pick 9 only fell 2 spots).

Adelaide would take pick 7-10 in a trade, which a club would likely happily give up for Sloane, in favour of getting pick 14-17 as compo, especially with academy selections again likely to push it back in terms of players already taken in the draft.

It's not about 'winning' the trade for Crows if Sloane leaves, it's just about maximising return. As long as the club who takes Sloane finishes below Adelaide, it makes sense for them to match and even just ask for the first rounder...

If a free agent deal went down Geelong would have kept their first rounder, Geelong are around Adelaide on the ladder, denying them their first and Adelaide taking it helps the big picture also. That was nice.

If Adelaide had let Danger walk, Milera might be on Geelong's list.

Starting to look very possible that the Crows miss finals this year.

If Sloane leaves as a AF, they will end up with some great picks.

10, 11, 17 and 20 as it stands.

I'd be very surprised if they don't at least put a couple together to push up the order even further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back