Adelaide Giants Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can plan it the weekend when Port play their HOME game in China

I’m sure the SMA could negotiate a break of contract to facilitate the Yankees playing at Adelaide Oval

i would be there in a flash to watch the Yankees play

Don't care for the sport or will have any interest in watching or hearing about them. Very keen on the financial benefit to the footy dept though. Have my doubts about these acquisitions so far regarding profitability, but certainly hope they work out for us. Plus good opportunity for ex-players to get an undeserved gig away from the footy dept.

If they need more money to hire the better staff we think the club needs, they have to make it somewhere, and SA is already a pretty tapped out partisan well when it comes to the AFL. The only alternatives I, an admittedly non-business minded person, can think of are off of us through increased membership prices, or through poker machines.

The era of the multi-industry conglomerate that could leverage its organisational capability across a range of fields and industries is dead, it died in the 1980’s because it didn’t work

This seems a complete waste of money. Worst case it will be a money pit.

ESports is the future. No arguments on that one. Australian Baseball isn’t even the past.

The era of the multi-industry conglomerate that could leverage its organisational capability across a range of fields and industries is dead, it died in the 1980’s because it didn’t work

Well what other ways are there to grow our income? The more sponsors idea has diminishing returns even before reaching the farcical "Adelaide Crows motor oil partner" level, because advertisers don't value SA eyeballs, and there's only so many sponsors you can cram onto a guernsey and still have them visible on a national broadcast.

Congrats to the club. As a huge baseball fan in Perth, seeing a big club step up and buy a franchise is a big step for the league. Would love one of the WA clubs to buy the Perth Heat.

I wouldn’t worry much about the footy side of it, won’t have any impact on it at all. Will open the Crows up to new markets and can only have a positive impact on membership & veiwership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m saying not every get rich scheme can be justified based on trite cliches like grow the pie

Particularly when the basis for the strategy is a discredited philosophy from the 1980’s

I'm asking what your alternative to this particular scheme would be - because the football department net spend lists over the last few years have shown that we are falling behind, and the Burton-Hass injury crisis could be construed as a symptom of this.

I'm asking what your alternative to this particular scheme would be - because the football department net spend lists over the last few years have shown that we are falling behind, and the Burton-Hass injury crisis could be construed as a symptom of this.

That’s irrelevant.

My alternatives have no bearing on the merits of any particular schemes. Literally mutually exclusive

diluting management attention is a sure fire way to drop the ball on core priorities

FWIW and it’s disingenous to suggest it matters in the first place, my first thing would be to get poker machines

It’s pathetic that we think it’s our job to legislate social policy

But as I said that has * all to do with anything

I thought the concept of multi sports clubs was quite popular in Europe.

Many have a Soccer team as the core business and then basketball, Futsal and Handball teams.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Many have a Soccer team as the core business and then basketball, Futsal and Handball teams.

It is, and that's the model Larry Kestelman has been pushing for the NBL, which is partly where the 36ers talks came from

Last edited:
ABL - yes (and you'd never get ABL to Adelaide Oval because of the cricket)

MLB starts around mid-late March. The SCG matches were held on 22 and 23 March 2014. That would cause a clash with the AFL (and AFLW if we host a GF).
Yes and the scg spent a lot of time and coin putting in dugouts

As much as my interest in baseball is negligible besides the Red Sox
I love this.
Try and monopolise the city
Avalanche
United
36ers
Lighting

The broader our reach the more kids I think we can sway to becoming crow fans through these LinKs

The AFL industry has a history of picking up antiquated corporate ideas. Leading Teams is a corporate leadership program from the 90's. Collective Minds is a throwback to the dark ages (or someone took Monty Python seriously, one or the other). It's what happens when you make footballers study during their down time, they pick up all these cute old fashioned notions that they can apply in their next careers as footy administrators.

The AFL industry has a history of picking up antiquated corporate ideas. Leading Teams is a corporate leadership program from the 90's. Collective Minds is a throwback to the dark ages (or someone took Monty Python seriously, one or the other). It's what happens when you make footballers study during their down time, they pick up all these cute old fashioned notions that they can apply in their next careers as footy administrators.
Leading Teams targeted football teams first and then tried to expand its appeal and revenue from a corporate market

The difference is, we have a tiny market for baseball in this state, let alone this country.

There's no opportunity to achieve economies of scale here and, unlike the eSports initiative, the Bite will require a significant ongoing investment to maintain. International brand recognition is worthless as, unlike FC Barcelona for example, we can't leverage off an existing global brand. Hell we struggle to get 5 minutes coverage in Victoria with our core brand.

I don't like this move. Establishing another umbrella company makes the footy club vulnerable too imo. If Legacy falls over, Nigel doesn't get his bonus, but if the Bite fall over, we stand to lose money which, ultimately, will come from the coffers of the core business. I've seen baseball come and go more than once in this country and I fail to see how this will be any different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back