Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah.. hopefully they are..

Because if they follow it and write it like that on their ballot form then their vote will be null and void..

Thus one nation lose out on the votes..
And so do the LNP candidates who are relying on their preferences. Again, win-win.

Nah.. hopefully they are..

Because if they follow it and write it like that on their ballot form then their vote will be null and void..

Thus one nation lose out on the votes..
So you'd like to see people's votes rejected on a technicality just because you don't agree with them? What a fan of democracy you are.

Antony Green would disagree with you BTW - rejecting ballots due to inconsequential preference numbering issues is the one thing he'd like to see changed.

So you'd like to see people's votes rejected on a technicality just because you don't agree with them? What a fan of democracy you are.

Antony Green would disagree with you BTW - rejecting ballots due to inconsequential preference numbering issues is the one thing he'd like to see changed.
I mean if we change it we change it.

But surely if it's wrong, it's just wrong as it is ?

Don't mistake mocking stupid people for actively trying to undermine people's ability vote.

I mean if we change it we change it.

But surely if it's wrong, it's just wrong as it is ?

Don't mistake mocking stupid people for actively trying to undermine people's ability vote.
Sure, mock the candidate for not picking up their mistake before posting. But people here were happy to have anyone who followed it declared informal even though the mistake would almost certainly not impact the result.

Sure, mock the candidate for not picking up their mistake before posting. But people here were happy to have anyone who followed it declared informal even though the mistake would almost certainly not impact the result.
Under the current rules that's what happens.

That's the laugh, a candidate has literally given instructions on how to give an informal vote.

I’m trying to understand how this does anything but drive up house prices even more.

You increase the money supply in the housing market, without increasing the amount of housing…..

They’re not this dumb surely? I’ve missed something…surely…
In this instance I don't think you have.

Well unless I have too, of course.

I think it's just a poorly thought out desperate policy

In this instance I don't think you have.

Well unless I have too, of course.

I think it's just a poorly thought out desperate policy
The other problem is that the hardest thing with Super is that initial grind until it gets to the point where it really begins to grow. You have to grind away for years to get it to 150k and that's about the point where it starts to really grow.

By allowing people to rip 50k out of their super will put them a long way behind the 8 ball and people could end up being potentially 200-300k+ worse off in retirement for doing it.

Last edited:

Similarish-ish for Monique Ryan....except that the issue is that some of her supporters apparently can't read the pretty clear instructions that she has provided. Not the candidate's fault, do her supporters "deserve" to have their votes counted if they can't follow basic instructions? Remember that Kooyong is a prosperous electorate, should be mostly well educated voters without a large ESL component.

Kooyong voters confused by Ryan voting cards ‘could be the difference between winning and losing’

By Paul Sakkal

"Kooyong independent candidate Monique Ryan’s decision not to allocate preferences on her how-to-vote cards is leading to invalid votes, prompting fears the confusion could hurt her chances of snatching the seat from Treasurer Josh Frydenberg.

Ryan’s campaign, which has repeatedly stated that as few as 500 votes could decide the result, has been alarmed over some early voters telling Ryan’s volunteers that they voted “1” for Ryan and did not allocate preferences to others.

....While Ryan’s how-to-vote cards do not mark each box, they do include a message – written in red and marked as “IMPORTANT” – reminding voters to allocate preferences. But some voters seem to be absorbing the voting cards visually and missing the written message.

No..

My point is if people are dumb enough to follow the lead of the moronic dicks in one nation and that costs them their vote then so be it..

I dont take anyones/any party’s prefilled out how to vote cards.. people that follow those things are giving up their democracy and are blindly being led on how to vote by others…

The other problem is that the hardest thing with Super is that initial grind until it to the point where it really begins to grow. You have to grind away for years to get it to 150k and that's about the point where it starts to really grow.

By allowing people to rip 50k out of their super will put them a long way behind the 8 ball and people could end up being potentially 200-300k+ worse off in retirement for doing it.
I started to notice the growth around the 80k mark.

I was concerned when the government was allowing people to rip into their super during covid. I guess it was an emergency though. I'm really not a fan of the idea of people using their super to buy into an inflated housing market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m trying to understand how this does anything but drive up house prices even more.

You increase the money supply in the housing market, without increasing the amount of housing…..

They’re not this dumb surely? I’ve missed something…surely…
Driving up the price of real estate has been one of the central components of the Liberal party's political strategy for ages. It's not an accident, it's by design. How can you live in this country and not know this?

I was concerned when the government was allowing people to rip into their super during covid. I guess it was an emergency though. I'm really not a fan of the idea of people using their super to buy into an inflated housing market.

Unfortunately when you're younger you don't really think too much about the long term ramifications with your super, so often the people who rip their money out of Super tend to be those who are completely ignorant as to the long term ramifications of what they're doing.

Unfortunately when you're younger you don't really think too much about the long term ramifications with your super, so often the people who rip their money out of Super tend to be those who are completely ignorant as to the long term ramifications of what they're doing.
Managing basic finance, super, tax etc. should be a mandatory class in high school.

I don't have enough expertise in this area to know the details of how this would be operationalised, but this seems pretty logical to me.

Last edited:
Y

Each mine was the same, I remember looking at it when it was about 125k, then it just ballooned from there.

Agree with the Covid withdrawals, it's a double blow for people who don't have a house. Now they'll have no super.

I don't have enough expertise in this area to know the details of how this would be operationalised, but this seems pretty logical to me.

None of that sounds unreasonable to me. They're even making a concession to allow some level of negative gearing. I think there are a lot of property owners who would vote Liberal to keep this sort of thing from happening though. Not just the rusted on types either. Policies that will drive property prices down are unpopular with a lot of people. People will generally vote for whoever helps their bottom line.

No..

My point is if people are dumb enough to follow the lead of the moronic dicks in one nation and that costs them their vote then so be it..

I dont take anyones/any party’s prefilled out how to vote cards.. people that follow those things are giving up their democracy and are blindly being led on how to vote by others…
Will you be equally gleeful if Monique Ryan's voters follow her HTV card literally and Frydenberg retains the seat off the back of their rejected votes?

Will you be equally gleeful if Monique Ryan's voters follow her HTV card literally and Frydenberg retains the seat off the back of their rejected votes?
Dumb is dumb.

You don't do it right, your vote doesn't count

(I'll though I notice hers seem to be the lack of telling people what to do)

65d3ae2563eba2f83a6cd389095828a34f3c51ae.jpeg

None of that sounds unreasonable to me. They're even making a concession to allow some level of negative gearing. I think there are a lot of property owners who would vote Liberal to keep this sort of thing from happening though. Not just the rusted on types either. Policies that will drive property prices down are unpopular with a lot of people. People will generally vote for whoever helps their bottom line.

Limiting tax breaks to a single investment property in particular seems like a pretty sensible middle ground.

However, I think you're right. It seems neither of the major parties are interested in introducing any policies that would involve diminishing the ROI for boomers with investment properties, even if that involves loading increasing financial burden and transfer of wealth away from younger Australians. Difficult to see any real change happening despite recognition this is a significant issue.

Limiting tax breaks to a single investment property in particular seems like a pretty sensible middle ground.

However, I think you're right. It seems neither of the major parties are interested in introducing any policies that would involve diminishing the ROI for boomers with investment properties, even if that involves loading increasing financial burden and transfer of wealth away from younger Australians. Difficult to see any real change happening despite recognition this is a significant issue.
Labor losing the last one sealed the deal on that front. I can't see it ever changing. Even when the boomers start dropping off, their kids will want to inherit that wealth and will also be incentivised to keep property prices high. Maybe if there was a major housing crash/economic meltdown, the culture would have to change.

Dumb is dumb.

You don't do it right, your vote doesn't count

(I'll though I notice hers seem to be the lack of telling people what to do)

View attachment 1401519
Wild hypothetical, but she could get >50% of the primary vote including those informal votes, yet end up not winning the seat. This is not a good result for democracy as those voters clearly wanted her to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back