Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quarantine period over for me, before I knew about it.

Five days to go for unvaxxed 4 year old Geoffa jnr.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
So sorry to hear that. Im sure it will end up being all ok.

Prayers with you and your family.

Keep us posted on here.

So sorry to hear that. Im sure it will end up being all ok.

Prayers with you and your family.

Keep us posted on here.
Apart from frustration at the delay in being told, we are all good.

Having our big Christmas family lunch New Years Day now.

You think.

I had to update my workplace about our situation this morning. Five people have rushed out to get tested because I was in the office Monday. I should have been in quarantine Monday, but SA Health informed us 8 days after exposure.

Extrapolate that scenario across all the official SA Health exposure sites.

None of those people in my office are close contacts. I am barely one. But have to get a test as I am instructed to, so will do it tomorrow arvo as our Christmas with family plans are cancelled with a 4 year old to serve quarantine till next Wednesday.

Not to mention the unofficial exposure sites in that Facebook page. No doubt plenty of nuffies getting tested after seeing an exposure site on there.

Same. We had a case at our workplace. Nuffies legged it to get tested and “work from home”. None of them any more than LRCC. Cracked the shits when we told them it had to come out of their annual leave or taken unpaid as well.

Because you argued that our approach has cost more lives.

How are you going to compare the cost in life for two different strategies other than by the end result: death toll as a percentage of population

You really are dull, it's pretty obvious. I didn't suggest that Sweden got it right. In fact, I clearly am of the view that both Sweden and us failed the same group of people whilst deploying different strategies. The focus should always have been highly geared to the at risk. Sweden geared to nobody and we geared to everybody and both countries count deaths almost entirely from the same demographic.

I am not an expert in germ theory or viruses.

But I do understand algorithms and modelling. It is part of my job to read them and use them to make predictions and offer advice.

You would hope that in any model as many variables as possible are included. The experts in viruses should understand they mutate, as I learnt in year 9 Biology. Therefore the possibility of a new strain which is more contagious yet causes less harm to it's host is probable. Without knowing exact details, they should be able to include these variables and predict a possible outcome. Along with a host of other mutation variables.

There should be scope for different scenarios in their model.

If they modelled (and therefore planned) purely on the known strains, with no scope for mutagens strains, that is pathetic.

It only matters if you're locked in to a course for a fixed period. Now that more is known about omicron they can plug the new variables in and adjust the course. Why bother running near limitless scenarios when you're making a decision based on the existent risk? Adjust as risk changes, there's no need to predict it. It's what they did with masks when we had no cases for months.

The Government has had 18 months to ensure the system can cope

Do you know how long it takes for a nurse to be upskilled to be an ICU?

That's ignoring the fact we'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul since nurses are t something we have an oversupply of in Australia.

Free to read...

Some Ballarat vaccine providers have pre-empted ATAGI by offering early booster vaccines

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has this morning accepted ATAGI advice and will officially bring the booster date down to four months on January 4.
This will be followed by the date for the eligibility for the third jab being brought down even further to three months on January 31.
Mr Hunt said this would bring online a huge number of Australians and would require extensive planning.
"Currently that means that we will go from about 3.2 million people who are eligible today to approximately 7.5 million who will be eligible as 4 January," he said
"It will be expanded again on the 31st of January to three months and that will take it out to 16 million Australians who will be eligible."
"ATAGI has been going through the constant review process of the international evidence. On the basis of advice of the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation, it's no surprise we will be bringing forward the eligibility for the booster dose to four months as of 4 January. The planning behind that is that will open up a new cohort."
Commonwealth chief Health Officer Paul Kelly praised the work of the regulator ATAGI and said they had work well and hard to gather information given Omicron was only first heard about four weeks ago.
"It is very difficult making decisions as - as evidence is coming forward on a daily or even hourly basis, " Professor Kelly said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It only matters if you're locked in to a course for a fixed period. Now that more is known about omicron they can plug the new variables in and adjust the course. Why bother running near limitless scenarios when you're making a decision based on the existent risk? Adjust as risk changes, there's no need to predict it. It's what they did with masks when we had no cases for months.

For once you and I are in agreement

Free to read...

Some Ballarat vaccine providers have pre-empted ATAGI by offering early booster vaccines

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has this morning accepted ATAGI advice and will officially bring the booster date down to four months on January 4.
This will be followed by the date for the eligibility for the third jab being brought down even further to three months on January 31.
Mr Hunt said this would bring online a huge number of Australians and would require extensive planning.
"Currently that means that we will go from about 3.2 million people who are eligible today to approximately 7.5 million who will be eligible as 4 January," he said
"It will be expanded again on the 31st of January to three months and that will take it out to 16 million Australians who will be eligible."
"ATAGI has been going through the constant review process of the international evidence. On the basis of advice of the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation, it's no surprise we will be bringing forward the eligibility for the booster dose to four months as of 4 January. The planning behind that is that will open up a new cohort."
Commonwealth chief Health Officer Paul Kelly praised the work of the regulator ATAGI and said they had work well and hard to gather information given Omicron was only first heard about four weeks ago.
"It is very difficult making decisions as - as evidence is coming forward on a daily or even hourly basis, " Professor Kelly said.

How inappropriate of Albo!

Oh wait, this was the government?

Seems a certain poster on here owes the leader of the opposition an apology.

You think.

I had to update my workplace about our situation this morning. Five people have rushed out to get tested because I was in the office Monday. I should have been in quarantine Monday, but SA Health informed us 8 days after exposure.

Extrapolate that scenario across all the official SA Health exposure sites.

None of those people in my office are close contacts. I am barely one. But have to get a test as I am instructed to, so will do it tomorrow arvo as our Christmas with family plans are cancelled with a 4 year old to serve quarantine till next Wednesday.

Not to mention the unofficial exposure sites in that Facebook page. No doubt plenty of nuffies getting tested after seeing an exposure site on there.

I wouldn't cancel Xmas, let the people you're having Xmas with make the call. I presume they're all vaccinated, they can choose their own level of risk. Utter madness in the 'living with it' stage.

Do you know how long it takes for a nurse to be upskilled to be an ICU?

That's ignoring the fact we'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul since nurses are t something we have an oversupply of in Australia.
One of these statements contradict the other

We have an oversupply of nurses - and yet you dont think we couldnt find enough nurses to be upskilled

And as to your 1st point - what level of ICU experience would be truly needed ? Machine beeps regularly the patient is alive - the machine beeps continuously the patient is dead

Care is care and in ICU - apart from understanding protocols for different conditions - its nursing.

How inappropriate of Albo!

Oh wait, this was the government?

Seems a certain poster on here owes the leader of the opposition an apology.
WTF are you on about, ATAGI have only just given approval, are you suggesting Greg Hunt should have bypassed them?
Aren't you the one that's always pushing the line "listen to the experts"?

That's the kind of snafu that can seriously fu** with your 'living with it' modelling. If we included UK numbers in our calculations then hospitalisation rates would be wildly inaccurate.

it’s amazing to me that Australian statistics are not transparent in their definitions and criteria

it’s absolutely not surprising to me how many simpletons don’t see the problem in that

That is kind of what I was suggesting.

Although I feel some planning for possible mutagens should be part of an initial model and planning phase.

Adelaide restaurateur Simon Kardachi closes five venues
One of Adelaide’s top restaurateurs says he’s already closed five venues and there’s no guarantee they’ll be back.

One of the state’s leading restaurateurs says “crippling” close contact isolation rules have cost his business $500,000 and forced him to close five venues – with no guarantee they will re-open.
Simon Kardachi, who owns top SA restaurants Fugazzi Bar and Dining Room, Shobosho and Osteria Oggi, said at least 13 hospitality venues in Adelaide’s West End have shut their doors in the past week due to stifling close-contact rules.

These rules force staff to isolate for seven days once a Covid positive case has attended a business.
One of the state’s leading restaurateurs says “crippling” close contact isolation rules have cost his business $500,000 and forced him to close five venues – with no guarantee they will re-open.
Simon Kardachi, who owns top SA restaurants Fugazzi Bar and Dining Room, Shobosho and Osteria Oggi, said at least 13 hospitality venues in Adelaide’s West End have shut their doors in the past week due to stifling close-contact rules.

These rules force staff to isolate for seven days once a Covid positive case has attended a business.

What's the point of an at-home rapid test? I mean, if you're a close contact and need to get tested, surely you need to get an official PCR test at a testing site anyway to prove whether you've got it?
You do need a PCR for close contact.

In theory RAT eliminates the nuffies lining up for peace of mind. Hopefully make PCR lines shorter.

Depending on supply/hoarding of RAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back