Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Why are they using so much gas if their renewables are so wonderful?

I recall articles a while back about them bragging about how well their renewables were going as a percentage of their total energy break up.

Have solar panels reached the stage where they produce more energy than was required to make them?

Wasn't that long ago they hadn't but there efficiency has increased along with their lifespan.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I’m all for a good meme but this is boomer-tier stuff from the Clam Man.
This ones better..

The Chaser lads nearly always manage to nail it..
32F18FF5-0FA1-40F7-8724-6C04DD719117.jpeg

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Have solar panels reached the stage where they produce more energy than was required to make them?

Wasn't that long ago they hadn't but there efficiency has increased along with their lifespan.
Most of the UK's renewable energy comes from wind farms (at least it did last month). Last month 27.5% of their electricity came from wind, but only 1.3% from solar. Not much sun in the Old Dart, in the middle of winter.
Great Britain's monthly electricity stats | National Grid ESO

Gas is/was their main source of electricity generation, at 37.4%... and I suspect that the price of gas has risen significantly due to the tensions with Russia.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Thats a urban myth.

Everything that is produced takes energy. Everything.

Solar panels only take 4 years to produce more energy than was required to make them.

And they are now a hell of a lot cheaper and more energy efficent at producing energy than non renewables..

But dont ask me… ask the energy industry. All of whom are investing a shitload into renewables and doing everything they can to divest from fossil fuels.

The market has spoken.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It’s the same with wind turbines isnt it?
How much energy do you think it takes to build a coal or gas fired power station? None?..

Do you know how long it takes before the investment in a coal or gas fired power station pays itself off?

How much energy does it take to keep digging up the coal out of the ground, processing it and transporting it to the power station?

Then, given most of these power station are located away from our major city centres, how much energy is spent transmitting that power into our city centres?.. in constructing and maintaining this transmission infrastructure.

Its a seriously dumb arguement to try and make against renewables that somehow because they need energy to be manufactured and installed that this should be focused on yet then, on the other hand, ignored when it comes to the more traditional forms of power generation… and one based on myths dreamt up by the anticlimate change brigade..

Which is why decent battery storage systems are needed to even out the fluctuations.

SA appears to be leading the way. Found it interesting that a commonwealth advert was bragging about supporting the largest battery storage facility in SA... as I'm sure we all have memories of the commonwealth government blaming the SA government after the storm hit for heading too hard down the renewable route.

No doubt it could have done many things better, but doing something is better than bringing a lump of coal into parliament. Good to see Marshall has continued going down the renewable route... & it seems the Commonwealth are finally coming to the party.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Which is why decent battery storage systems are needed to even out the fluctuations.

SA appears to be leading the way. Found it interesting that a commonwealth advert was bragging about supporting the largest battery storage facility in SA... as I'm sure we all have memories of the commonwealth government blaming the SA government after the storm hit for heading too hard down the renewable route.

No doubt it could have done many things better, but doing something is better than bringing a lump of coal into parliament. Good to see Marshall has continued going down the renewable route... & it seems the Commonwealth are finally coming to the party.
We had a tornado up here in South East QLD the other day that ripped through Logan and bought down power lines.. and at the same time we also had a car crash into a power pole and bring down some power lines.. we also had a gas fired power plant go down.. all these things occured within hours of each other..

10’s of thousands of QLD homes were without power for nearly a day..

Senator Matt Canavan blamed it on renewables.

The bloke is a *n flog of the highest order.

Political opportunists like Canavan are a complete embarrassment to our great nation.. as are the morons that are foolish enough to support him.

We had a tornado up here in South East QLD the other day that ripped through Logan and bought down power lines.. and at the same time we also had a car crash into a power pole and bring down some power lines.. we also had a gas fired power plant go down.. all these things occured within hours of each other..

10’s of thousands of QLD homes were without power for nearly a day..

Senator Matt Canavan blamed it on renewables.

The bloke is a fu**n flog of the highest order.

Political opportunists like Canavan are a complete embarrassment to our great nation.. as are the morons that are foolish enough to support him.
Yes, a freak storm can bring down power lines & electricity supply... regardless of how that electricity is generated.

Interesting watching the new-age greenie ScoMo with some of the loonies in the coalition.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Any person who calls themselves a “conservative” who is still supporting Flog Morrison is hopelessly deluded.

Bloke is the biggest ******* coward we’ve ever seen in Australian politics.

No, Morrison is just a crap conservative politician desperately trying to hold onto power.

Being crap doesn't make him less conservative, he's just crap.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool

Lest we forget.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Thats a urban myth.

Everything that is produced takes energy. Everything.

Solar panels only take 4 years to produce more energy than was required to make them.

And they are now a hell of a lot cheaper and more energy efficent at producing energy than non renewables..

But dont ask me… ask the energy industry. All of whom are investing a shitload into renewables and doing everything they can to divest from fossil fuels.

The market has spoken.

Certainly wasn't an urban myth years ago, by the time you had to throw them out they hadn't produced as much energy as it took to make them.

But with increases in the panels efficiency this is no longer a valid criticism of PV.

Certainly renewables are the way to go, shame we didn't go down the nuclear path for base load and we could of got rid of coal/gas power power stations - which now won't happen in our lifetime.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Certainly wasn't an urban myth years ago, by the time you had to throw them out they hadn't produced as much energy as it took to make them.

But with increases in the panels efficiency this is no longer a valid criticism of PV.

Certainly renewables are the way to go, shame we didn't go down the nuclear path for base load and we could of got rid of coal/gas power power stations - which now won't happen in our lifetime.
I keep wondering what happened to the plans they had for generating geothermal electricity (as they do in Iceland). I remember reading about an experimental plant they were setting up near the Flinders Ranges, but I never heard anything more about it. Geothermal is one of the few renewable energy sources which are capable of providing baseload power, which is why it's disappointing that it never proceeded to production.

EDIT: Here's a news article from 2013, discussing the project I was talking about:
Geothermal project advances in Flinders Ranges

I keep wondering what happened to the plans they had for generating geothermal electricity (as they do in Iceland). I remember reading about an experimental plant they were setting up near the Flinders Ranges, but I never heard anything more about it. Geothermal is one of the few renewable energy sources which are capable of providing baseload power, which is why it's disappointing that it never proceeded to production.

EDIT: Here's a news article from 2013, discussing the project I was talking about:
Geothermal project advances in Flinders Ranges
Need to let Twiggy Forrest know of you want it to progress further... ;)

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
No, Morrison is just a crap conservative politician desperately trying to hold onto power.

Being crap doesn't make him less conservative, he's just crap.

That's exactly what he's doing, he's just playing the numbers game in WA.

What's he supposed to do, take on McGowan and potentially see the LNP vote nose dive in WA?

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
That's exactly what he's doing, he's just playing the numbers game in WA.

What's he supposed to do, take on McGowan and potentially see the LNP vote nose dive in WA?
He's obviously doing what he thought would be best for polling.

Probably should have stayed silent rather than coming across like he has now.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
surely tide/wave energy is the way to go?
Basically always there night/day
Tidal works reasonably well in areas like the Kimberley, where there are massive differences between high & low tides.

Wave energy is less consistent - you have your calm days, and days when the seas are positively mountainous. I've read articles, or seen TV shows, about wave energy projects which had had problems with equipment breaking due to the relentless forces at work.

fortunatecrow

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Any person who calls themselves a “conservative” who is still supporting Flog Morrison is hopelessly deluded.

Bloke is the biggest ******* coward we’ve ever seen in Australian politics.

Can't agree with Rita. If the WA health system is in as bad shape as everyone seems to think it is, the decision is logical.....which reflects badly on McGowan.

You can disagree with the strategy but he has clearly decided not to get caught up fighting with the states. IMO he doesn't have time to call out every stupid state Premier decision, and he still needs to be able to work with them.

Can't agree with Rita. If the WA health system is in as bad shape as everyone seems to think it is, the decision is logical.....which reflects badly on McGowan.

You can disagree with the strategy but he has clearly decided not to get caught up fighting with the states. IMO he doesn't have time to call out every stupid state Premier decision, and he still needs to be able to work with them.
Is the WA health system really that much worse than other states?

More than a third now have their booster, so they are far better placed now than when others opened up.

Opening up in Winter is illogical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back