Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is nothings changed with the Libs policy on climate change, can you point to when it did please rather than make blanket statements

libs hadn't moved further right at all. That's a nonsensical claim. Not surprised it's Kane making it. Little surprised about cap though.

I’ve deliberately stayed out of here for months, but just wanted to say, I’m very pleased with the outcome. And although I didn’t vote for Albonese, I was impressed with his acceptance speech. I hope he can live up to his promises. VERY pleased to see the Green vote finally having an impact. It’s a bloody brilliant day when you wake up to No Mo ScoMo.

"">

To be fair I'm not sure of the crossover but for those thinking a Vic Labor Government is in ''dire straights'' are seriously deluded

Hopefully this rout of the Liberal Party will see it reset and become more moderate but I have my doubts if Mr Potato Head becomes the leader.

If anything, this was a Greenslide.

Whether it's Teals, listing Climate Change as one of their 3 top priorities, or the Greens themselves (who appear likely to win 6 more seats (3 in each house)), it's been a massive win for green-tinged candidates - and a huge repudiation of the climate change deniers in the ranks of the LNP.
Yes. The Labor primary vote went down – just not by as much as the fall in the LNP Primary

Yes. The Labor primary vote went down – just not by as much as the fall in the LNP Primary
As an example Boothby in SA - it seems , to me, that you can draw a strong parallel for Labor/Green vote split and LNP/Independent(dyer)

ie Labors vote went to the Greens and the LNP vote went to Dyer - take out Dyer and its a lot easier for Swift

Which means Boothby - if Labor take it - will get lots of Pork over the next 3 years

CARTER, JeremyThe Greens13,25915.42+3.46
CLARK, GraemeUnited Australia Party1,8762.18+0.29
HARRIS, PeterAustralian Federation Party4010.47+0.47
NIKOLIC, AleksandraLiberal Democrats8951.04+1.04
BUSUTTIL, PaulIndependent8250.96+0.96
BRAY, FrankieAnimal Justice Party9211.07-1.35
SWIFT, RachelLiberal32,40337.67-7.52
DYER, JoIndependent5,8486.80+6.80
MILLER-FROST, LouiseAustralian Labor Party27,93832.48-2.15
COUCH, BobPauline Hanson's One Nation1,6421.91+1.91

libs hadn't moved further right at all. That's a nonsensical claim. Not surprised it's Kane making it. Little surprised about cap though.
Surely after last night's results it's hard not argue it's gone further right when so many left/ moderates have lost seats.?

Peter Dutton opposition leader. He is the head of the Right Wing faction.

Hopefully this rout of the Liberal Party will see it reset and become more moderate but I have my doubts if Mr Potato Head becomes the leader.
FTUJb8OacAAlNPY

There are not many people in politics I have time for but I do have a select group of pollies who I hope never find public office again

Tim Wilson losing makes my soul feel good about our system

FTUJb8OacAAlNPY

There are not many people in politics I have time for but I do have a select group of pollies who I hope never find public office again

Tim Wilson losing makes my soul feel good about our system

And then you go to Queensland and see it predominantly blue.

Not sure how the Coalition will be able to reform itself when it will de dominated by Qld members.

What I do like is that the Lib moderates, who didn’t stand up to the right wing nuts in the Liberal Party, were rejected by the voters. Bit of karma.

Has anyone checked on Mutineer?

Ok, so if we can't agree the Libs have gone further right. That's fine . I can live with the fact I got it wrong.

But surely we all can agree climate change was a bigger deal than some would like to believe.?

I mean Greens are going to win a seat in Brisbane
Yeah it was, going to be interesting how this government works given it looks like the greens and teal are going to have a big say.

But it wasn’t just climate change, ScoMo was hated, that’s all we’ve been hearing from anyone who didn’t vote Libs, but they also didn’t like Labor so they’ve piled their votes into the greens and independents as protest.

Finally the government has been in for 3 terms and when you’ve got an unpopular leader you’re pushing s**t uphill.

The issue is the LNP have lost so many moderates leaving the right, it’s going to be a challenge winning these voters back. Labor are going to really * up and the parliament not work for that to happen.

And then you go to Queensland and see it predominantly blue.

Not sure how the Coalition will be able to reform itself when it will de dominated by Qld members.
On the surface - given they are branded Liberal National Party in Queensland and the strong presence - the next 3 years will be about the weather and transphobia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anything, this was a Greenslide.

Whether it's Teals, listing Climate Change as one of their 3 top priorities, or the Greens themselves (who appear likely to win 6 more seats (3 in each house)), it's been a massive win for green-tinged candidates - and a huge repudiation of the climate change deniers in the ranks of the LNP.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily buying that yet. I think that can only be confirmed at the next election when we see how they perform.

It is clear that Climate is a top issue for a lot of voters now to be sure. But, I think that the Greens are profiting off of circumstances here. There is an increased worry about Climate combined with total apathy toward both majors. If you are looking to send a message to the majors and you want to make it count then the Greens are your best hope.

The issue for the Greens, however, is how they pivot from sideshow extremists ( I don't hate them, but they do take many of their policies to the extreme) to a more moderate, realistic party. Absolutely no criticism of them, they, like any minor party, have the luxury of doing so without fear of having to follow through. Great. But if they want to continue to climb they will have to clean it up. If Labor come in this term with a viable climate plan, then that will placate a great many voters. Will they care so much once there is an illusory plan in place? That's the test. A good result for the Greens but I'm not convinced it actually represents a sustainable shift toward them.

Other enjoyable notes from the night:

- Peta Credlin being totally salty when alleging that the Teals are basically Greens. Like how is that even relevant, Peta? And whether you like it or not, they get to vote independently. What a moron.

- Barbaby Joyce railing against minor parties and independents as he once again, even after the polls had closed, shows his disrespect for democracy.

- Albanese showing he is no fun at all during his speech trying to get people to shut up. Was he joking? Was he not? It was awkward and dumb. Clearly too focused on remembering his speech than living in the moment. No doubt there will be plenty of gaffes from this man. Fun.

- Tim Wilson running his campaign based purely on Joyce's argument that a vote for an independent is a bad thing for democracy. You lost it in your campaign you fool.

Anyway, full disclosure I'm a non-aligned voter. A swing voter in every sense of the word. With that being said I've voted independent for the last 15 years. The parties just haven't offered anything of value in that time.

I note that Mutineer hasn't been sighted in several hours. I assume he's in shock, lying in the foetal position somewhere, as his worst nightmares have come to reality - with the Teal & Greenslides ripping the heart out of the LNP.

He's at his mum's place playing with his Marvel superhero figurines and Harry Potter toys

Good, then I'm a very proud arsehole as you so eloquently put it.

The Greens and the Animal Justice Party are way more dangerous to society than Palmer or One Nation.

Anything that stops the Greens or the Animal Justice Party getting anymore of a foothold in the Australian Parliament is a big positive.

Palmer and Hanson will always be only minor minor parties with no significant influence over important legislation. Palmer especially will almost certainly give up on his folly soon and fold.

All I’ll say is I’m grateful this mindset of rewarding the likes of Hanson, Palmer, Kelly etc by giving them more votes/power/influence seemingly is only held by a very small group of people across the country. We’re better off for it.

- Peta Credlin being totally salty when alleging that the Teals are basically Greens. Like how is that even relevant, Peta? And whether you like it or not, they get to vote independently. What a moron.
FTUCrUnVUAA94yK

- Barbaby Joyce railing against minor parties and independents as he once again, even after the polls had closed, shows his disrespect for democracy.

- Albanese showing he is no fun at all during his speech trying to get people to shut up. Was he joking? Was he not? It was awkward and dumb. Clearly too focused on remembering his speech than living in the moment. No doubt there will be plenty of gaffes from this man. Fun.
Barnaby reminded me of The Unionist party in Northern Ireland when they lost , basically blamed people for not voting for them. Now they've thrown a hissy fit and are blocking the return to parliament.

But I thought Albo was fine, I'm not a Labor person, but I wanted to hear the speech of next PM not some boorish bogan screaming Albo.

Barnaby reminded me of The Unionist party in Northern Ireland when they lost , basically blamed people for not voting for them. Now they've thrown a hissy fit and are blocking the return to parliament.

But in thought Albo was fine, I'm not a Labor person, but I wanted to hear the speech of next PM not some boorish bogan screaming Albo.

Yeah but I think a firm hand signal and a smile can do the same job. There are some people that would have worked bloody hard and they achieved something. They will be excited. Instead we got 'I WILL RUN AN ORDERLY GOVERNMENT AND IT STARTS NOW rarrraggghh'.

Dunno, everyone in my house just awkwardly looked at each other not knowing if it was a joke. It's one of those things I think people find uncomfortable about a person and as ScoMo has shown, the cult of personality is deeply important (no matter how much he tried to distance himself from himself).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back