Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ah, but who are they going to tax? If they are going after the grubby corporates who don’t pay their fair share, I’m all for that, or the top 1% earners that also don’t pay their fair share.

I care less about our grubby corporates than I do the international entities that make s**t trucks from trading here but pay no tax. Fix that first and then look at domestic taxpayers.

But, I do read/hear people talk about overhauling the tax system, but I never hear what the actual issues are. I hear the result, “xyz p/l pays no tax”, but what is the specific component that’s flawed?

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes OneNation fielded more representatives but given they are more right than the Coalition, can someone explain how they did so well if the Libs were being punished for moving right?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did you even read the tweet in the post I was quoting? The Liberal member was saying they were expecting a swing away from Labor in Melbourne's outer suburbs on account of Dan's policies and it never eventuated.

Let's also not try to pretend that state election results don't have implications for Federal elections. Look at the swing in WA.

That person is obviously an idiot. State elections can provide a lead, but even then, that’s a contrary argument. Labor is rock solid in Victoria. How do you explain QLD?

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did you even read the tweet in the post I was quoting? The Liberal member was saying they were expecting a swing away from Labor in Melbourne's outer suburbs on account of Dan's policies and it never eventuated.

Let's also not try to pretend that state election results don't have implications for Federal elections. Look at the swing in WA.
Just being in WA, they ran big time ScoMo working with Palmer against WA, reckon that hurt

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I gave my thoughts on this the other day. Wherever you sit on the political spectrum, it’s foolish to claim there’s any kind of moral equivalence between the Greens and the likes of One Nation, or that the Greens policy platforms pose a greater threat to Australian prosperity and wellbeing.

That’s your view, but you’re 100% wrong. Greens in power would be disastrous for everyone. Much worse than if Pauline or Palmer ran the place.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
The return of mr 'just print more money, here's a 5 page copy and paste that I don't have a clue about' returns. Welcome back.
Ahh my favourite fan, I've missed you!

I've got even better at the economy since I was last posting regularly in here!

Perhaps you and I could bet our accounts on something economy related? If I know so little about it, what's the odds of me getting it right again!!??

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hopefully this will be the last Palmer election he’s involved in

Will his votes just go straight to 1nation? There’s clearly an appetite that end of the spectrum. Probably a waste of effort having a crack in the lower house, would be better off as a fringe voice in the senate. What happened to him, did he lose his seat? Did he have a seat to lose?

Last edited:

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s your view, but you’re 100% wrong. Greens in power would be disastrous for everyone. Much worse than if Pauline or Palmer ran the place.
Greens have had a lot of good economists give many presentations to them on the economy. I know this because I know the economists that have given the presos.

I'm willing to give them a chance. Would be even more interesting if Lab don't get a majority.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Libs were done last election, they lost because ScoMo was on the nose.
Yep and they were strategically targeted, Labor, Greens and Teals. Put their votes together and they were pushing s**t uphill.

Going to be very interesting to see these 3 work together, they’ll want to otherwise Australia will see an unworkable parliament. But how much are they all going to compromise on their key platforms? Will Labor wipe out Student debt on top of its other big spending policies?

The issue for the Libs they’ve lost moderates and once Independents are in, they rarely get kicked out

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will his votes just go straight to 1nation? There’s clearly an appetiser that end of the spectrum. Probably a waste of effort having a crack in the lower house, would be better off as a fringe voice in the senate. What happened to him, did he lose his seat? Did he have a seat to lose?
Reckon ON are in big trouble financially. I'd say the party is gone if they don't get a senate seat this time. They are looking like they might get two or might get none. Very borderline.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
That person is obviously an idiot. State elections can provide a lead, but even then, that’s a contrary argument. Labor is rock solid in Victoria. How do you explain QLD?
I don't know about QLD but I'd wager that two 100 year floods in a decade put the fear of god into a few Brisbanites.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Perhaps you and I could bet our accounts on something economy related? If I know so little about it, what's the odds of me getting it right again!!??

Sure, throw up some bets and maybe there’s one that we’ll be able to implement. But I doubt it, you’ll be trying to bet purely on some theory that you just read in some textbook and there’ll be no way to determine a winner or loser.

I’m no Matt Damon, but you’re a dead spit for that long haired obnoxious dickwad.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

Getting it right again? You must have seen the pandemic coming because without it you weren’t right. Surely even you can see that

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh, and on the subject of just printing more money:

Hows dem LNP's a? Money printas go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wasn’t against the stimulus measures, but like anything that gets s**t trucks of $ pumped into it out of nothingness, it’s going to be inefficient. Lucky we’ve stockpiled them savings though, we’ll need it to cover the inflation.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Greens want more than that, is Labor going to wipe student debt for example?

That ain’t happening at all as it wasn’t part of the ALP policy framework so it won’t have any legs and the Teals won’t be involved as that wasn’t part of their policy agenda either. The ALP won’t be in Coalition with the Greens.

Please understand that the majority of policy is undertaken by the HOR with Senate being the House of Review.

The main policy positions will be Climate Change, Federal ICAC, Womens Issues. All these will have support of the ALP.

Next thing you will be telling me is we will become a Republic.

You know what the Liberals should do for the next 6 months, just sit back and be quiet. Not sure if that will happen with Mr Potato Head in charge (might be another Tony Abbott).

Think that some middle aged men need to realise, their period as dominance is coming to an end. Interesting working yesterday at AEC, 75% of the people working yesterday were women.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
The WA massacre - these are the swings to Labor across WA.

Canning 7.3%, O'Connor 9.3%, Durack 9.9%, Burt 10.1%, Freo 10.4%, Brand 10.5%, Forrest 10.8%, Moore 11.3%, Hasluck 11.8%, Perth 12.7%, Tangney 13.3%, Swan 13.6%, Pearce 15%

So SmoCo going to WA on Friday was an absolute masterstroke whilst avoiding going to all the seats won by the Teals shows what a great strategist he was. Not!

The narrative for 2019 can now be restated, SmoCo didn’t win it, Shorten lost it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back