List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowie talked about us being in to Charlie Constable from Geelong. Who's he?

Should we be recruiting older top ups instead of mostly kids? Guys who's SANFL career is finishing up/finished and might see it as a pathway into the AFL coaching/development system

I know Chris Hall or whoever the Eagles guy we got was a fail but are we better off surrounding our draftees with a few more players of this type?

Better than using a list spot on a Lienert just to play reserves as well
Older guys are probably earning far more playing country footy, and are probably no realistic chance of having a long SANFL career.

Extra commitment for much less reward. Younger guys will still bust their backsides with hope of being the next Farrar, Murphy etc.

It would but it wouldn't.

Kid is a quality talent.
Does he have enough for AFL level though? Looks like he could be one of those players who dominates the league below, but can't consistently play at AFL level.

Not sure we need another inside midfielder when we have kids with upside we need to get more games into.

Of course you can't. Eventually people need to fail, and your lesser prospects fall by the wayside. It's irrelevant that they do as well.

I can guarantee if we recruited a senior guy to be depth in the 2s, he's playing in our 1s by round 10 and it has nothing to do with talent on our list either, and it's because of what you are suggesting. This mythical belief that experience makes one iota of difference to a team. Our reserves will be fine if the only leader we have on the field is our SANFL recruit, they were this year. Most of them are now 2-5 year players, they know the game plan inside and out (it does not take 7 years to learn one). The times they won't be fine is if we are racking up injuries and we have to deal with top-ups. That has nothing to do with leadership/experience either, most of our top-ups aren't SANFL calibre players.

It's both terrible and inexcusable for us to bringing in senior players on our list who do not drastically improve our best 22. We're just increasing the risk of failing our rebuild without any gain whatsoever.

Is this guarantee the same guarantee that we'd keep Kelly, re-sign Mackay, extend Talia, miss out on Dawson to Port, keep Haas ...

To your point - you can't play 22 kids in the reserves, unless you want their development to go nowhere.

We need to identify the kids we're ACTUALLY developing and give them the right reserves environment to learn, which ISN'T just only playing with other 18 year olds.

They need some mature heads in the two's, otherwise their development will stagnate. They don't need a half dozen guys, but they need three or so

Should we be recruiting older top ups instead of mostly kids? Guys who's SANFL career is finishing up/finished and might see it as a pathway into the AFL coaching/development system

I know Chris Hall or whoever the Eagles guy we got was a fail but are we better off surrounding our draftees with a few more players of this type?

Better than using a list spot on a Lienert just to play reserves as well
I like this, but do the rules allow it?

Does he have enough for AFL level though? Looks like he could be one of those players who dominates the league below, but can't consistently play at AFL level.

Not sure we need another inside midfielder when we have kids with upside we need to get more games into.
Yeah, maybe if Matt hadn’t stayed but we are going to struggle to get kids into our midfield as it is not even taking into account pick 4, unless they’ve settled on Rachelle?

Yeah, maybe if Matt hadn’t stayed but we are going to struggle to get kids into our midfield as it is not even taking into account pick 4, unless they’ve settled on Rachelle?
Matt might not play much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually wouldn't mind Constable. Would be good to see him under Burgess, and he's still pretty young.

Still much more likely he doesn't make it than does, but that's true of who we'd pick at a late pick as well.

I'd prefer to rookie Constable than Davis, he's 2 years younger and has shown he can get the ball at AFL level as a mid, kicked a goal every second game and decent with clearances. Yes, he has him limitations, but there's something there.

However, is he better than other players who will be available as a rookie?

Two years at not much?

Wouldn't even be in the top twenty balls ups made in the AFL this year
This was really good list management by the club. I thought we were in for another Brad Crouch scenario, but they played it perfectly.

The offer was such that he wasn't 100% happy, so he tested the market and got a reality check and had to accept it.

That would be incredibly surprising
Why, we found a spot for Hately a similar type player, Constable's around the same size and probably the more versatile if you go back to their pre-draft football?

Comparing their AFL stats Constable is the superior player?

Why, we found a spot for Hately a similar type player, Constable's around the same size and probably the more versatile if you go back to their pre-draft football?

If it is true at all (a BIG IF), then is it more than we are replacing ROC with Constable?

I'm ok with it if it happens. Constable, if he puts it all together, has big upside. It's the sort of risk you don't mind taking when it costs you nothing.

Two years at not much?

Wouldn't even be in the top twenty balls ups made in the AFL this year
I get why they signed him sort of, but the facts are he hadn't played for a year, his injury didn't look like it was improving and we struggled to get our juniors into the middle as it is. If we don't see much game time from him what exactly was the point in keeping him?

As for not much money, we don't know what he's on.

And I never said where it ranked in the AFL but for our club, if he doesn't play due to a known injury, then it was a balls up.

But its okay not to have to support and defend every club decision ;)

Constables issues are the same as Collier-Dawkins .....both look good with ball in hand ....but it's their lack of spread from the contest that has seen both struggle for games

It's important to look at a players defensive side of the game ....we know M.Crouch has been a witch's hat in defensive transition .....surround him with quick players and you can manage one slow .....but add a 2nd it becomes a real issue, and simply doesn't meet Nicks "speed" mantra

The question would be, are the Crows looking at Constable as a DEF option, given we were also associated with Lienart ???

I get why they signed him sort of, but the facts are he hadn't played for a year, his injury didn't look like it was improving and we struggled to get our juniors into the middle as it is. If we don't see much game time from him what exactly was the point in keeping him?

As for not much money, we don't know what he's on.

And I never said where it ranked in the AFL but for our club, if he doesn't play due to a known injury, then it was a balls up.

But its okay not to have to support and defend every club decision ;)
I think we see a risk and we took it. His best will still be good enough, and for a contract which appears to be all on our terms.

Back