News Adelaide Crows Camp Allegations and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

The board (including Roo) may not be directly responsible for planning or approving the camp, but they are absolutely responsible for hiring the people that did plan and approve the camp.

The lack of due diligence in hiring someone like Brett Burton as Head of Football was astounding. That's what they are responsible for. And that's why they must resign
Wasn't just hiring him as head of football either. Remember when Nick Poulos was running our fitness program, then Burton got sacked by Brisbane and over the summer we somehow decided Poulos needed oversight and a position on the org chart was created above him and he was told that we'd already found someone for it. And Poulos rightly said "I don't need oversight" and (probably by design) quit and look who came in!

I have noticed a bizarre reaction from the predominantly over 60-70s on facebook my parents and their friends in relation to this - they really seem to lack the ability to understand mental anguish and the role it plays in todays society.

Even listening to callers on the media the older people seem to be of the harden up philosophy- maybe it’s just me - but part of the issue seems to be the divide of those whose early life was employers who behaved as those involved in this camp behaved - and the it didn’t do me any harm mindset that their own life experiences has led to.

It is a need to really educate those who cannot see the wrong and believe we are raising our kids soft - to understand the world has changed.

Just so baffled by these sentiments

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Yep, 100%

I think of my own 86yo grandfather. He lost the love of his life (my grandmother) back in 1991, and remarried less than a year later.
But he still holds the trauma of that time with him, I can't even show him a photo of her without him looking anguished or getting emotional. If he had received counselling during that time, I reckon he may have been a different person mentally. And yet nope, apparently these people scoff at the idea of it, when in fact they could probably use mental health professionals to work through their own trauma. It's ironic to me.

I honestly reckon this all coming out now will be better for you guys in the long run. Players were never going to remain silent forever and shouldn't.

There are 3 games left in the season and you are out of finals contention. You essentially have 8 months to deal with this and come back fresh. If this happened earlier in a season or when you were more competitive it could torpedo your whole campaign.

It will never happen due to the current risks of legal action but if I were your club I would be holding one on one conversations with every player that went on that camp and release a statement outlining every awful thing that happened. No more hiding the truth and no more information coming out drip by drip. Get on the front foot even if it makes you look awful.

Burton from 3 minutes to about 8 minutes.

If there was a BS meter it would explode.

I can't even look at that face without wanting to punch it.

Wonderful how you know how people 'think' and presume to know what role I have. I wonder what the bloke in your avatar would think of the situation?

Garry McIntosh would probably think you're a campaigner.

Yikes.

i wonder how many of the players thought the camp was a complete betrayal. Its 3 so far. Gibbs sounds like he didnt trust the process from the beginning. There must be more. the drop was pretty stark after the camp and little wonder.

the nothing to see here from the club and the osticisation of the “troublemakers” is as bad the the betrayal of trust.

they talk about the coach losing the players, well in this case, the club lost them.

the crisis mgt after the event is also horrific. The deny deny deny, look over there etc is textbook of how not to manage a crisis.

i agree with those that are saying the board members from that time need to go. They were at least responsible for the response, if not the camp itself.

I feel sorry for the players and the supporters who have lost their trust of the club. Hopefully now there are people within the club who can at least recognise when they FUBAR something and be honest about it.

I'm the first to think the camp was a disaster, poorly managed and implemented, and hushed up by the club. No question.

And I have no doubt Betts's account is genuine.

But then you have come-again piss-stains like JJ and Gibbs weighing into it. Guys who have a vendetta against the club because in JJ's case we overpaid him, realised he's s**t and benched him. Gibbs who couldn't get his act together because he's mentally soft as butter and had off-field problems and now rails against a club that paid him well to do * all. Just * off. You're embarrassments. Go get ****ed.

There is 100% a generational divide about this.

People 30 and under have a lot more compassion for men's mental health - it just wasn't discussed in the same way 20+ years ago
I would push that out to 40.

I am 42 and probably the first age group to accept these issues.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm the first to think the camp was a disaster, poorly managed and implemented, and hushed up by the club. No question.

But then you have come-again piss-stains like JJ and Gibbs weighing into it. Guys who have a vendetta against the club because in JJ's case we overpaid him, realised he's s**t and benched him. Gibbs who couldn't get his act together because he's mentally soft as butter and had off-field problems and now rails against a club that paid him well to do * all. Just * off. You're embarrassments. Go get *ed.

Yeah well done champion - you have no right to tell another person what they feel isn’t ok, this is their account and no one can say it’s not valid. Why is Eddie’s genuine but JJ who suffered a difficult childhood - and CM use of this trauma isn’t?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no way the club is getting out of this without sanctions from the AFL.

All those players are well within their right to go file a class action but I'm talking about the AFL sanctioning us for bringing the game into disrepute not for the camp but for what happened after it.

God I'm so embarrassed to be a fan of the club at the moment, and I realise we changed alot of the people who were responsible but we continued to just sit on this information and waited. We could no admit we did something really bad, we hurt people we loved. It's just so sad.

People 30 and under have a lot more compassion for men's mental health - it just wasn't discussed in the same way 20+ years ago

Even if you’re of the “harden up” class (and I won’t lie, there’s a bit of that about me, even though I’m far from a boomer) how could you at least not be livid about how stupid and incompetent the people running the club were?

I mean, look at the f*cking results. Look at the outcomes. Look what happened to the club.

The failure wasn’t only from the football department people who organized the camp.

The failure is at every single level of the organization.

Not withstanding all the failings of AFC, AFL, AFLPA, WorkSafeSA? and the action to come.

The actual perpetrators of this said abuse/torture are not being threatened with legal action, referenced by name in any way shape or form..

They actually did this to the players, Where is their liability?

Is it the same camp they ran for the Rabbitohs, the businesses and sporting clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So what are they going to do about it?
The club has apologised. Many since have left.
What now? Compensation? Where does this all go? What’s going to help Eddie and the others heal?

Yeah, I don’t think that’s fair. I’m 46 and am mortified by what these guys have been subjected to.

I think if there is a generational gap it is between the boomers and those of us who were their kids and thereafter. Even then there are plenty of older folk who think it’s a cluster * of a situation too.

That’s entirely the wrong take. No one has any incentive to respond further, and frankly these assertions have been denied repeatedly.

I’ll be interested if anyone backs him up? But I suspect no one without a book to sell can be arsed to rehash any of this

This take hasn’t aged well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But then you have come-again piss-stains like JJ and Gibbs weighing into it. Guys who have a vendetta against the club because in JJ's case we overpaid him, realised he's s**t and benched him. Gibbs who couldn't get his act together because he's mentally soft as butter and had off-field problems and now rails against a club that paid him well to do * all. Just * off. You're embarrassments. Go get *ed.
Irrelevant of what you think of someone, you can still show some respect

There's no way the club is getting out of this without sanctions from the AFL.

All those players are well within their right to go file a class action but I'm talking about the AFL sanctioning us for bringing the game into disrepute not for the camp but for what happened after it.

God I'm so embarrassed to be a fan of the club at the moment, and I realise we changed alot of the people who were responsible but we continued to just sit on this information and waited. We could no admit we did something really bad, we hurt people we loved. It's just so sad.
But surely the sanction should be requiring the club to clear house of anyone around during that time or didn’t deal with the fallout appropriately. Eg even current board members who weren’t there at the time should be asking questions, and if the bird minutes don’t show that then they should go too.

What I expect the afl to do is a big fine or other penalties but the people who should be turfed remain with their snout in the trough.

Where the fu*k is John Olsen?

The club is getting absolutely smashed by every media outlet around the country. SEN and Triple M absolutely destroying the club’s reputation.

This is the exact way they handled the camp fiasco.

They’ll have their little crisis board meeting on Monday where they all pull each other’s unelected dicks, then come up with their very carefully crafted Ian Shuttleworth-esque media response, which will spark more questions than it answers.

And yeah, after all this, that bloke is still the media manager.

F*ck off.

The club is getting absolutely smashed by every media outlet around the country. SEN and Triple M absolutely destroying the club’s reputation.

They’ll have their little crisis board meeting on Monday where they all pull each other’s unelected dicks, then come up with their very carefully crafted Ian Shuttleworth-esque media response, which will spark more questions than it answers.

F*ck off.
I can’t understand how Shuttleworth is still there, media releases have been nothing short of shite

F*ck off.

To be honest, Im cutting him some slack. I am under the impression, they are probably formulating a media strategy around this and looking for the right direction to take. They also now...need to think about legal ramifications of their statements. Even though they weren't around and involved with the camp, making statements on behalf of the club even though they are right could cost the club millions in court.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back