Universal Love Adelaide Crows Folklore

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 28, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, West Adelaide
Thinking about last night, there was one moment that will go down in folklore for our club. Tex, our Captain, running down the Member's wing of the MCG and setting up the match winner.

Got me thinking about what other moments belong in this folklore. The moments that stick out in your memory. That you will tell your kids and your kids kids about. That will be extrapolated over time to something akin to "Tex ran the entire length of the field to set up the match winner"

I've compiled a list. Too young to really remember the early days though.
  • The tale of our inception. (Port going behind the SANFL's back etc)
  • First Win in 91
  • First final win against the Hawks
  • 93 finals
  • Smart's fire walk
  • MODDRRAAAAA
  • Tregenza and B hart lead comeback v Hawks in the wet topped off by McLeod
  • Jamo/Cummings punch on
  • Pathetic Pitman
  • Showdown 2
  • Rehn ripping off the brace
  • Libba, 97 Prelim
  • Jarman 97 Prelim
  • JARMAN 97 GF
  • Bondy 97 GF
  • THAT WILL DO. THAT. WILL. DO.
  • 98 final series (Perth to Melbourne to Sydney to Melbourne)
  • Blighty leaving early against Richmond
  • Roo vs Carlton at Optus Oval in the wet. Just immense.
  • McLeod and Roo lead 42 point Showdown comeback.
  • Ramsgate
  • 02 Melb final
  • Ayres giving the Cats fans the two finger salute
  • AAMI crowd booing the point post
  • Macca's winner v Collingwood. "OH DON'T TELL ME"
  • Dream Final v Port
  • 30 goals vs Essendon
  • PARVO VIRUS
  • Massie on Franklin
  • Porps 5 goals v Sydney with one arm.
  • Demolition Showdown – 1 player on the bench
  • Birdman's MOTY v Carlton
  • RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME
  • Johncock's tackle on GAJ v Geel in '10
  • Tex '12 Semi final
  • Stiffy kicking it from 45m out on the run in the dying minutes of the 2012 prelim
  • PETRENKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO/Kerridge the Kangaroo Slayer
  • Rutten's first three kicks are goals, his last also a goal.
  • Sirengate 2.0
  • Eddie's pocket is born v North Melbourne
  • Eddie's GOTY vs Freo
  • Walshy's final pre-game PC "I like to think there's still some masterpieces to be painted this year"
  • "Phil Walsh's team is gonna win!" Showdown
  • 1st qtr vs WC
  • Tex runs down the wing of the MCG and nails CC 30m out to seal the 2016 EF.
  • Eddie's GOTY vs GWS
  • Eddie kicks his 5th against Port in his 250th. Chaos ensues.
Agree/Disagree? More to add? Discuss.

EDIT: Will add more as they come in.

Last edited:

Troy Bond's goal to hit the lead in the second ever Showdown after we trailed by 4 goals at 3/4 time. And the huge smile he gave the crowd.

Good moments u have named above. One more needs to be added ...

THAT Modra mark in the square v NM.

Roo vs Carlton at Optus Oval in the wet. Just immense.
Showdown 2
Showdown Final
McLeod and Roo lead 42 point Showdown comeback.

That Roo game v Carlton. Greatest individual performance I have seen by a Crow. Should be compulsory viewing for all recruits.

Thinking about last night, there was one moment that will go down in folklore for our club. Tex, our Captain, running down the Member's wing of the MCG and setting up the match winner.

Good thread idea but every time you see that passage of player; am I the only one who expects to hear the umpire blow his whistle and say it was in the back and give a free kick to the doggies player for in the back?

Port ******* Magpies cheating and lying in 1990.
Bruce bloody Webber
Wayne Carey getting a standing ovation at Norwood Oval for a pre season match in 2003.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First win in Melbourne - D Hart kicks goal against the Hawks.
First final win against the Hawks.

I did a preseason at North Adelaide under Hart, don't like him much. I ended up helping out a mate with a bloody night milk run, so was doing 2 full time jobs through the Xmas break. Came back having done no fitness work, saw the writing on the wall tried to pull the pin and secure my invite back again next year. He told me to keep plugging away and then cut me due to not completing a fitness run in the required time 2 weeks before the trial games. I told him my fitness had deteriorated and I wouldn't be able to catch up. Anyway, that was over 20 years ago and I'm well over it now. Water under the bridge. Barely gave it another thought. Anyone know what type of car he's driving these days.

Port ******* Magpies cheating and lying in 1990.
Bruce bloody Webber
Wayne Carey getting a standing ovation at Norwood Oval for a pre season match in 2003.

Crowd at AAMI stadium booing a picture of the goal post after Carey hurt his knee on it. LOL.

Good thread idea but every time you see that passage of player; am I the only one who expects to hear the umpire blow his whistle and say it was in the back and give a free kick to the doggies player for in the back?

If the dogs player didn't fall over like a sack of s**t they might have gotten the free kick, however often the umpires don't fall for academy award performances any more. Plus the more I see it I am convinced Tex hardly touched him any more than a tap with the hip. The dogs player just knew he was out of position and tried to con the umps.

If the dogs player didn't fall over like a sack of s**t they might have gotten the free kick, however often the umpires don't fall for academy award performances any more. Plus the more I see it I am convinced Tex hardly touched him any more than a tap with the hip. The dogs player just knew he was out of position and tried to con the umps.

Look, it wasn't a free kick but we have been boned many times and my subconscious just expected it to happen again.

Remember when the lights wen out at Footy Park. Can't remember who we were playing. Richmond?
Yeah Richmond and we played out the game and lost. on the loud speakers they had just said if the lights go out stay in your seats and the bloody lights went out. classic.

Stiffy kicking it from 45m out on the run in the dying minutes of the 2012 prelim

This and Tippett's goal from outside 50 in the 2009 final against Collingwood. Although we didn't win either game, I'll never forget these two moments. As soon as Johncock kicked it, I looked at the goal umpire who hadn't moved an inch either side and I knew it was going through, went up celebrating thinking we were into the Grand Final!

This and Tippett's goal from outside 50 in the 2009 final against Collingwood. Although we didn't win either game, I'll never forget these two moments. As soon as Johncock kicked it, I looked at the goal umpire who hadn't moved an inch either side and I knew it was going through, went up celebrating thinking we were into the Grand Final!

Those goals reminded me of Franklin's brilliant goal to hit the lead vs Collingwood in I think 2010. Then Luke Ball stole the win with a scrubby goal.

They were brilliant goals at key moments but now when I think of them my heart hurts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back