Universal Love Adelaide Crows Folklore

Remove this Banner Ad

I come in peace!!

Apologies for the bump of this thread, wasn't sure where else to post this.

Also feel free to delete if warranted!

For anyone interested I have started a series doing each clubs Mt Rushmore, beginning with the Crows.

Would be interested to know how close to the mark I was given I don't know the club as in depth as all of you!

noting that i didnt include players who i didnt see play or current players.

Edit: yes I'm aware the thumbnail is s**t lol. Kids were running riot and I rushed it 🤣

Last edited:
I come in peace!!

For anyone interested I have started a series doing each clubs Mt Rushmore, beginning with the Crows.

Would be interested to know how close to the mark I was given I don't know the club as in depth as all of you!

Edit: yes I'm aware the thumbnail is s**t lol. Kids were running riot and I rushed it 🤣

I reckon you've got it right.

Walker, Goodwin, Betts probably the next 3, on mega-crows-mt-rushmore.

I reckon you've got it right.

Walker, Goodwin, Betts probably the next 3, on mega-crows-mt-rushmore.
Tex will undoubtedly be on there when it's all said and done.

Betts did cross my mind due to his sheet brilliance but thought Modra / Jarman edged him out for how pivotal they were.

Could easy make a case for Eddie though. Goody too!

You had some crazy good mids!

Hmm. Good thread.
Agree that when the dust settles Tex and Eddie will be considered.
However, Jars was an event - special and premiership winning - but not one of the base Mounts of the Crows.
I'd replace him with Edwards. Hate it that he moved to the Dark Side, and his boys weren't quite up to it, but he was one of our Mountains.

Ricciuto, McLeod, Walker are 3 of the 4 without question.

But who rounds it out?

bickley? Hart? Smart? Rehn? Goodwin? Edwards? Thompson? Sloane? Betts? Modra? Jarman?

Idon't know.

Hmm. Good thread.
Agree that when the dust settles Tex and Eddie will be considered.
However, Jars was an event - special and premiership winning - but not one of the base Mounts of the Crows.
I'd replace him with Edwards. Hate it that he moved to the Dark Side, and his boys weren't quite up to it, but he was one of our Mountains.
Tex is already ahead of Edwards imo.
He is the AFC for the last 15 years.

Considering Modra and Jarman will make the best 22 for the next 50 years Its hard to argue against them being in the top 4. Both were genuine match winners. You could watch any match we won between 1993 and 1997 and Modra would be a genuine star in all our wins. Same with Jarman in our premiership years.

I come in peace!!

Roo & McLeod are givens.

The argument is then over the next 2.

I would probably pick Walker & Hart.

D Jarman, Modra & Goodwin all part of the discussion for final 2 places.

Roo & McLeod are givens.

Roo and McLeod are locks, so really there is just two places remaining.

I cant go passed DJ because he performed when it mattered the most, when the stakes were at the highest.

It leaves for me one position, Modra vs Tex.

Im going Modra, but not by much.

Goodwin and Betts are IMO part of the discussion for the final two places.

Roo & McLeod are givens.

You certainly have plenty to pick from!!

The only reason I don't have Tex in is cause he is still playing, and I wanted to stick to all past players.

However he would be odds on favourite to end up in there, just not sure who he would replace!

Alternatively

Lever = Washington - A traitor
Edwards = Lincoln - Leader in the civil war
Carey = Jefferson - His best work was before joining Adelaide/Becoming president.
Hart = Roosevelt - Youthful, and revolutionised the system (boys club)

Last edited:
Agree Roo and Macca are no brainers.

Then it’s really overall careers with Crows vs finals impact. DJ only possibly makes it on this second criteria.

Probably not popular but no way is Modra a top 4 all time player for the crows. He was without a doubt our biggest ever superstar (compared to Bradman in the 90’s), athletic freak who took some of the greatest ever hangers/highlights. Had an extraordinary season in 1993 but far too many lean years And let us down in big games. Also actually went down like a sack of spuds on so many occasions where I was at the ground - soccer player style. Basically in 1997 he had averaged one goal a game for the 6 completed games before the prelim. Leading full forwards were regularly averaging 4-6 goals/game in that era. Him going off, as horrific an injury as it was, allowed us to win that game, I have no question re this. In 1998, he played 8 games including first final (Dees thumping us) before being dropped for the remainder of our finals series. We don’t win the flag with Modra at full forward in those remaining 3 finals games.

for me the last 2 spots are Hart and Rehn, with Tex closing in and a chance to overtake Shaun. Goody, Eddie other notables and a shame Danger didn’t play out his career and would have been an absolute certainty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll take things that never happened for 100
As in happy for a player to be softish at times if they can kick 100? Yeah me too.

and don’t get me wrong, Mods is a champ of the club. Definitely a top 10-15 type player of all time (and clearly number one for highlights). Just had one exceptional year in 1993 and one other year he won the Coleman where clearly he had a pretty good year also (1997) - after an amazing first half of the seas especially- even though it was the lowest Coleman tally since 1976 at around 65-70% of most years winning totals. He was in horrid form leading into the 97 prelim (1 goal/game over 6 weeks) and it is a shame he never ended up a premiership player - especially being dropped in the 1998 finals series.

as a club we are lucky to have had many champions of the game in our short history. I think we had 4 players over 300 (Roo, Macca, Hart and Edwards) before some much longer established clubs even had one or 2.

As in happy for a player to be softish at times if they can kick 100? Yeah me too.

and don’t get me wrong, Mods is a champ of the club. Definitely a top 10-15 type player of all time (and clearly number one for highlights). Just had one exceptional year in 1993 and one other year he won the Coleman where clearly he had a pretty good year also (1997) - after an amazing first half of the seas especially- even though it was the lowest Coleman tally since 1976 at around 65-70% of most years winning totals. He was in horrid form leading into the 97 prelim (1 goal/game over 6 weeks) and it is a shame he never ended up a premiership player - especially being dropped in the 1998 finals series.

as a club we are lucky to have had many champions of the game in our short history. I think we had 4 players over 300 (Roo, Macca, Hart and Edwards) before some much longer established clubs even had one or 2.
He didn’t go down like a soccer player on numerous occasions, that’s fiction.

You certainly have plenty to pick from!!

The only reason I don't have Tex in is cause he is still playing, and I wanted to stick to all past players.

However he would be odds on favourite to end up in there, just not sure who he would replace!
A top-10 off the top of my head... though have the right to edit after more thought.

1 Riccuito
2 McLeod
3 Hart
4 Walker
5 D Jarman
6 Goodwin
7 Modra
8 Rehn
9 Smart
10 Betts

dogs105 - how is this comparing to your polls?

A top-10 off the top of my head... though have the right to edit after more thought.

1 Riccuito
2 McLeod
3 Hart
4 Walker
5 D Jarman
6 Goodwin
7 Modra
8 Rehn
9 Smart
10 Betts

dogs105 - how is this comparing to your polls?
I like that list. I would do minor changes though, but it is all subjective of course.

1 McLeod
2 Riccuito
3 D Jarman
4 Walker
5 Hart
6 Modra
7 Rehn
8 Betts
9 Goodwin
10 Edwards

Gotta have McLeod 1 and Edwards 10 for the instability :D

Agree Roo and Macca are no brainers.

Then it’s really overall careers with Crows vs finals impact. DJ only possibly makes it on this second criteria.

Probably not popular but no way is Modra a top 4 all time player for the crows. He was without a doubt our biggest ever superstar (compared to Bradman in the 90’s), athletic freak who took some of the greatest ever hangers/highlights. Had an extraordinary season in 1993 but far too many lean years And let us down in big games. Also actually went down like a sack of spuds on so many occasions where I was at the ground - soccer player style. Basically in 1997 he had averaged one goal a game for the 6 completed games before the prelim. Leading full forwards were regularly averaging 4-6 goals/game in that era. Him going off, as horrific an injury as it was, allowed us to win that game, I have no question re this. In 1998, he played 8 games including first final (Dees thumping us) before being dropped for the remainder of our finals series. We don’t win the flag with Modra at full forward in those remaining 3 finals games.
I would argue DJ had a similar impact - albeit a fantastic one - his overall career is great but not defined as Crows
for me the last 2 spots are Hart and Rehn, with Tex closing in and a chance to overtake Shaun. Goody, Eddie other notables and a shame Danger didn’t play out his career and would have been an absolute certainty.
I see Rehn similar - I love Rehn and he would be in my top 10

Thinking more I can shoot my own argument down by asking - which 4 players won the flags in 97/98?

Roo, Macca, Rehn and DJ so there you go

Ok let’s agree to disagree then mate as obviously saw different things, my 3 Uni mates and I talked every few games about this issue but I won’t post further.

Mods is a champion of the club and you have focussed on one sentence of a much larger argument I had against him being one of our top 4 players.

I did say a lot....not all.

The jobs he did on some of the star forwards giving away plenty of height and weight were massive both defensively and offensibly.
Also, one of the few players who could match it on ball with the likes of Kouta, then pick up Ablett in defence a game later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back