Roast Adelaide Crows Media Stuff Ups

Remove this Banner Ad

CaptAdelaide

Draftee
May 5, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mainly aimed at the uneducated Victorian Media who, to be honest, have not a clue about our club or players. Almost weekly I see or hear stupid things like below:

JJ.....you have changed....

gi0chL4.jpg

I'm sure there's more of this going around. Should be a good laugh.

Eh it happens. Hundreds of players in the afl and for just about all of them there's a photo, and poxy video of them staring down the camera handballing the ball to themselves, soundbites, etc. They're bound to make a few mistakes.

Eh it happens. Hundreds of players in the afl and for just about all of them there's a photo, and poxy video of them staring down the camera handballing the ball to themselves, soundbites, etc. They're bound to make a few mistakes.
I don't mind. As long as we find out about the mistakes before anyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From our man again:

2. CROWS.

Tough draw? What tough draw! Adelaide is 3-1, should be 4-0, and has claimed the scalps of three of its fellow 2015 finalists. There is a good case to be made that the Crows are the best-performed team of the first month.

I count 2 Rucci you muppet. Your mob didn't make finals, remember.

http://www.afl.co.au/news/2016-04-16/crows-coach-not-surprised

Now, just before I focus on the specific part of the article that's the reason for this post, just remember that everyone and I mean everyone who writes for AFL.com.au put in their ladder predictions at the start of the season and all had us missing the finals. Most had us finishing 12th. There was like a dozen of them. Around 12 people who write for AFL.com.au all had us missing the finals, one of these people then wrote the following:

"ADELAIDE coach Don Pyke isn't surprised at his side’s emphatic start to season 2016, which reached further heights on Saturday night with a magnificent 10-point victory over the previously unbeaten Sydney Swans.

The Crows had been almost unanimously written off by the 'outside', in part due to their tough start to the year,"

Now, Don Pyke would be a lot responsible for our good start, in what universe does Don answer that question "Yes, I am surprised how we've started the season"? I seriously don't understand the question and why it would ever warrant being asked in that situation.

As for the second bolded part, well, now you know why I wrote my first sentence. You'll note the small excuse given. This is my interpretation of what they actually meant with that sentence "It's not our fault, it was the schedule you had and Dangerfield left, but we won't mention Dangerfield because making the claim a team would go from good to bad because 1 player left actually is a little silly when there's 21 other players who make up the entire team"

This was a part of my comment just a second ago, but it got too long and needed a fresh entry. I want to demonstrate just how far off the mark a lot of journalists are to understanding the game. I was listening to Nathan Buckley's press interview and this was a back and forward after Collingwood's loss to Melbourne they had:

Buckley (B) "This competition is a tough competition, what we think we know about it has been undone every game we see. You don't rate St Kilda. (but) They play alright. You don't rate Melbourne. (but) they play alright. You rate us. We haven't played that well. You rate Freo. They haven't played that well. You rate Port Adelaide, a top 4 side from 2 years ago, they're just gonna come back, they just got smacked by the side that lost to the side that just beat us. So the game's... what you think you know about the competition, we don't know. We want to get the best out of ourselves and if we want to be anything we have to get the best out of ourselves and we're not doing that at the moment so that's what we need to focus on" Buckly (B)

Unknown Journalists (J). It sounded like Robbo, but can't be 100% sure "The draw now allows you to get back into the ball park, doesn't it?"
"No."
"Well, it should." J
"No! What you think you know about the competition, you don't know." B
"Well, that's..." J
"So did Essendon not look competitive against Geelong for a period of time?" B
no reply given by J
Bloody oath they did.
no reply given by J
Buckley looks bemused and slightly shakes his head
"Right now, right now if we stop playing for forty minutes against any opposition, we'll give them hope, we'll give the belief, we'll give them a chance and we've got to take that out of our makeup, if we want to give ourselves a chance of performing, Against any opposition! No, the draw is irrelevant if we make the most of what we've got, we can take on anyone, but if we don't we can get taken down by anyone" B
Different Journalist (DJ) "Do you need to reassess where you are?"
"I know exactly where we are. We're 1 and 3... 4 weeks into a VERY long season... And if we can give the effort we saw in that second half against any opposition, we'll be okay."
"Does it come down to preparation or something before the game?" (DJ) This is the sort of question I like.
"Um, Leigh Matthews knows a little about the game and when you hear him commentate he talks about the economy of hope all the time. And if you lose it for a period of time and give it to the opposition it's largely what makes up the ebbs and flows in the energy of a football contest. And we've taken too much away from ourselves and given too much to the opposition. There's hard yards, I've spoken about En-dower (interesting choice of words). We still wanted to take the game on, we still want to play open attacking footy when we get the chance but the dower part (again, I'm not completely understanding how these words work with what he's talking about, but that's irrelevant) if it is coming back just to being able to contest minute in minute out and we haven't been able to do that yet this year, so that's our first challenge"

To me this demonstrates the gap in knowledge between coaches and journalists. I'm not a fan of Leigh Matthews, but he's spot on when he talks about the economy of hope throughout a game.

Reporting on the Crows isn't sexy, nor is it in the AFL's best interests. We pack out our stadium no matter what the media says about us. We don't need false hype and bandwagon support to keep us afloat.

No. but I much rather conversing with opposition fans who know what we're about.

Um.

Who cares?

People like me do, who spend far too much time looking into the trivial things in the vein hope they can say "Haha, I was right" to someone on this thread that didn't care what we were talking about in the first place... Very minor internet victory, YAY ME!!!:eek::drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back