Resource Adelaide Crows player list by age (as at 19/4/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lines are (approximate) quartiles

31 - Richard Douglas
Eddie Betts
Sam Gibson

30 - Sam Jacobs

29 - David Mackay
Josh Jenkins
Bryce Gibbs

28 - Kyle Cheney
Andy Otten
Rory Sloane

26 - Hugh Greenwood
Kyle Hartigan
Alex Keath
Paul Seedsman
Brodie Smith
Daniel Talia

25 - Paul Hunter (r)
Curtly Hampton
Cam Ellis-Yolmen (r)
Luke Brown

23 - Patrick Wilson (r)
Mitch McGovern
Riley Knight
Rory Atkins

22 - Matt Crouch
Reilly O'Brien

21 - Tom Doedee
Harry Dear

19 - Matthew Signorello
Myles Poholke
Ben Jarman (r)
Lachlan Murphy (r)
Elliot Himmelberg
Jordan Gallucci

18 - Darcy Fogarty
Jackson Edwards (r)
Andrew McPherson

Last edited:
Lines are (approximate) quartiles

31 - Richard Douglas
Eddie Betts
Sam Gibson

30 - Sam Jacobs

29 - David Mackay
Josh Jenkins
Bryce Gibbs

28 - Kyle Cheney
Andy Otten
Rory Sloane

26 - Hugh Greenwood
Kyle Hartigan
Alex Keath
Paul Seedsman
Brodie Smith
Daniel Talia

25 - Paul Hunter (r)
Curtly Hampton
Cam Ellis-Yolmen (r)
Luke Brown

23 - Patrick Wilson (r)
Mitch McGovern
Riley Knight
Rory Atkins

22 - Matt Crouch
Reilly O'Brien

21 - Tom Doedee
Harry Dear

19 - Matthew Signorello
Myles Poholke
Ben Jarman (r)
Lachlan Murphy (r)
Elliot Himmelberg
Jordan Gallucci

18 - Darcy Fogarty
Jackson Edwards (r)
Andrew McPherson

Interesting to put the players into quartiles.

Our top quartile doesn't have as many highly talented players as I expected. We have Betts, Gibbs and Sloane as the main players and all are very good. But then it drops away to role players in Mackay, Jenkins, and Douglas. Not sure what to make of Jacobs. And then a few depth players like Otten, Cheney and Gibson.

The second oldest quartile is, as probably expected, stacked with talent. Walker, Lynch, Greenwood, Seedsman, Smith, Talia, and Brown are all keys to our side, coupled with Hartigan who is a decent role player.

Then we have a lot of upcoming talent moving into their prime in the 3rd quartile. Both Crouches, Laird, McGovern, Doedee and again a few handy role players in Atkins, Knight, Kelly and even ROB. In that bracket we have two very good midfielders, a highly promising forward and defender, and Laird.

Unfortunately I am slightly concerned about that bottom quartile. Fogarty is a massive tick. Aside from that there's a lot of question marks over the others (including Milera who should be in the 20 bracket), particularly our drafting from 2016 that netted us that group of 19 year olds. Will any of that group become more than role players, including Gallucci who was a first round pick? Not sure. Luckily this group will get a huge top up this year.

In general I think it paints our list in a healthy light, with talent spread quite well through the upper 3 tiers

I do think it highlights a need for an intake of a few high quality midfielders into the bottom bracket so we can better manage the transition of Sloane, Douglas and Gibbs out of the side through age/form/leaving.

With McGovern and Fogarty in the younger brackets that's a great setup for the forward area, plus I think Murphy will come good and maybe Gallucci in a forward role. We might potentially need to obtain a gun small forward if neither come good though.

For defence it will be key to draft in some young key defensive talent as Talia, Hartigan and Keath move up to the top bracket in a few years. All of our key defensive posts, including depth, are in those upper brackets so we need to top that up in a few years or so.

Our top quartile doesn't have as many highly talented players as I expected. We have Betts, Gibbs and Sloane as the main players and all are very good. But then it drops away to role players in Mackay, Jenkins, and Douglas. Not sure what to make of Jacobs. And then a few depth players like Otten, Cheney and Gibson.

The second oldest quartile is, as probably expected, stacked with talent. Walker, Lynch, Greenwood, Seedsman, Smith, Talia, and Brown are all keys to our side, coupled with Hartigan who is a decent role player.

Then we have a lot of upcoming talent moving into their prime in the 3rd quartile. Both Crouches, Laird, McGovern, Doedee and again a few handy role players in Atkins, Knight, Kelly and even ROB. In that bracket we have two very good midfielders, a highly promising forward and defender, and Laird.

Unfortunately I am slightly concerned about that bottom quartile. Fogarty is a massive tick. Aside from that there's a lot of question marks over the others (including Milera who should be in the 20 bracket), particularly our drafting from 2016 that netted us that group of 19 year olds. Will any of that group become more than role players, including Gallucci who was a first round pick? Not sure. Luckily this group will get a huge top up this year.

In general I think it paints our list in a healthy light, with talent spread quite well through the upper 3 tiers

It's worth noting that the bottom quartile is always going to concerning to a degree. That's unavoidable due to the nature of drafting, development and that currently they are unknowns.

The long term guess with what we have so far is one potential elite (Fogarty), one who will inevitably be a top 10+ player on our list (Milera), some players with some potential tools that could make it into a damaging niche role as a minimum (Gooch, Murphy) and some unknowns. That's not too bad for a side in contention during the time of being drafted.

I like this. I've put together our squad, Power squad (since they face the same challenges as us in a 2 team town) and the premiers side by side. Split the quarters at 11 players (Squad of 44, minus any NGA rookies)

Q3 for Richmond looks poor. Q4 as good as us & Port (3 good lads each, rest unknown)

QuartileCompare2018.jpg

This year's draft could be a defining one for our success in the early to mid 2020s.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's worth noting that the bottom quartile is always going to concerning to a degree. That's unavoidable due to the nature of drafting, development and that currently they are unknowns.

The long term guess with what we have so far is one potential elite (Fogarty), one who will inevitably be a top 10+ player on our list (Milera), some players with some potential tools that could make it into a damaging niche role as a minimum (Gooch, Murphy) and some unknowns. That's not too bad for a side in contention during the time of being drafted.
There is nothing inevitable about Milera becoming a top 10+ player on our list, or Gooch even becoming a damaging niche role player. We can certainly hope that both of these eventuate, but there is nothing at all inevitable it.

On Q4, I am concerned too. I really dont like the inherent limitations that we have in our SANFL team. I actually really like some of the names in that Q4, obviously the Fog, but also Himmelberg and Milera who was missed. I really like Murphy as well. But I am not sure how we can properly develop our young draftees in the 2s under the current system. We are putting out a third to half of our side astop ups that results in us playing a rather poor brand of footy and often we are getting smashed. So a KPF like EH isn't really getting to develop the way he normally could if he was getting quality supply from a quality midfield. Is he really going to be able to develop with balls being hacked in by top-ups or by our AFL listed players who are under extreme pressure.

I wonder if Gallucci is also a victim with this. As a pressure forward, but also as a mid. A mid like Gallucci is going to be a cog in a midfield machine. He will be able to develop his strengths, like his explosiveness out of packs when the more in and under players are at least breaking even and then feeding him that first ball. I think Thommo turned out to be a really great decision last year, because having him as an on-field coach and another big body was pretty useful. I think we are missing someone like that this season.

I feel like our midfield and our forwards are really hampered in their development under the current system. With our defenders its not so bad, because ultimately they are getting plenty of chances to defend throughout the game. We have seen Doedee and Keath develop quite well. I think Dear is looking pretty good back there at the moment. Lachie Murphy earnt himself a rookie spot as a defender.

So I expect that McPhearson will come along quite well as a half back flanker, but I am a little concerned at how Fogarty may not get enough ball in our current team. I reckon Himmelberg is wasting a way a bit in terms of the opportunities he is getting in each game. I would hate to see Fogarty not get enough play to optimize his development as well.

This year's draft could be a defining one for our success in the early to mid 2020s.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Indeed. Perhaps closer to 2030 even.

Hard not to think Lynch and/or Sloane could become key elements in securing additional Top 25 picks here. Owning 4 or 5 top 25 picks could reap the bonanza only seen once before in our clubs history (admittedly with higher quantity and possibly quality) of securing elite SA talent. Anyone old enough to remember the early 90's and bringing in Smart, Mods, Roo, Rehn, Wellman, Hart etc and a few other elite talents that didn't succeed for various reasons including injury and attitude (Saliba, Packer, Turner etc.)

Exciting draft period upcoming and just wish Power hadn't secured Saints 2nd round draft pick late in last years trade proceedings (Saints could be competing with Blues for wooden spoon).

Seb Packer and Peter Turner! That's two lads that should be discussed more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back