Autopsy Adelaide Crows round 15

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's just feeling the effects of a long season having come back from a significant injury. He's really over-achieved this year up to the bye. If we didn't have so many talls out they would probably give him a rest and use FMac as a backup ruck.

I think we pare his minutes back again. Back to explosive bursts.

Haven't been able to watch the game yet, will watch tonight. just looking at the stats and reading the comments here, Cole had 10 and being praised as a speedy "positive". Jetta had 13 and being called a "negative". Both defenders, neither in the best players, Im interested to know what made Coles 10 touches that much better than jettas 13?

There was mention a few weeks ago of a sore back.
Interesting. He also suffered from that in 2015 and was not in great shape come finals time. Maybe he's just a player who can only play 3/4 of a season and needs regular rests to stay fresh.

What is the point of playing two ruck men. Naitanui and Lycett were smashed by old man Jacobs today. And NN has played 13 games this year, by now he should be able to play 80% TOG. He’s had more than enough time to build fitness. We don’t need to play two rucks who offer nothing around the ground and Lycett can **** off. He kicked a couple of good goals but we are using too much of the salary cap on rucks. Once again this loss is on the mids and rucks. Shuey soft and goes missing, Hutchings and Redden can’t kick, Ainsworth was ok early.
Ryan is afraid of contests, grow some balls. Cripps gets opportunities but doesn’t have the skill to take advantage of them.

Defenders were solid all day, Sheppard is under rated. Cole quickly becoming one of my favourite players. Jetta awful.

Last edited:
Haven't been able to watch the game yet, will watch tonight. just looking at the stats and reading the comments here, Cole had 10 and being praised as a speedy "positive". Jetta had 13 and being called a "negative". Both defenders, neither in the best players, Im interested to know what made Coles 10 touches that much better than jettas 13?

Cole was really hard at it and made some very clean, very poised decisions. Didn’t do much wrong defensively or get blown past.

Jetta did some really good things as well, particularly clean kicking, but he’s a liability defensively and for a guy with so much pace seems to get caught flat footed too often.

Combine that with the usual scapegoating of a handful of players and it’s a recipe for a melt. I do think he needs a spell out of the side though, try to instil some sense of spark or desperation in him.

Once again our midfield was smashed when they gained momentum. What really stands out is the lack of hunger to stand up when we are under siege. We need midfielders who are bold with ball in hand and who are campaigners without the ball in the contest. Any ideas on how to get these players?

We look in real trouble for next few weeks (gws then pies), cannot see us winning either game without Darling and Kennedy. So 5 losses in a row and we'll start sliding down the ladder. Bombers and Sydney games we should've won but kicked ourselves to a loss. Very costly now

I like jetta - but coles touches were him willing himself into contests - winning them with aggression, smashing through and making his opponent look second rate.

I want to see this kid rotate through the middle.

This scapegoating of Jetta is getting a little ridiculous tbh. Sure, have a player you hate, but you don't have to ridicule him at every opportunity.

Why would I hate him? Never met the bloke. This is a footy forum and I am commenting on his football which is average at best and has not changed since he was drafted. To many of you guys get to excited we shows are what he can do every 7-8 weeks for a brief period of a game.
Shep and Jetta both play similar positions, both defenders. Shep is hardly regarded as elite in the league although he probably should be, Jetta has more talent yet is not fit to carry Sheps boots to a game. One has passion, guts, determination and a will to succeed, the other just has talent and nothing else.

Been reading that Adam Simpson had to throw Mcgovern down back at the beginning of the 4th Qtr. I believe that this is incorrect, why make a move when Mcgovern forward was working for the first 3 qtrs. And Yeo was doing a fine job down back for us.

This game was lost in the midfield in the 4th Qtr, Plain and simple. Naitanui had a awful game, and that affected us greatly. Thought Shuey and Gaff tried hard, but the rest of our midfield fell off.

Also Mciness is only a WAFL standard player, Ryan needs to crumb a lot more instead of trying to go for Mark of the year, and Waterman needs to present himself as a target and get to more contests.

One thing that I found really annoying was how long it took to make the move of gov to defence and yeo to the midfield. It was obvious from the moment Adelaide kicked the goal at 3qrt time that they were going to have the momentum. And yet, despite that predictably happening and us conceding a massive run of goals, we waited until scores were level or we were behind to make the move. Seems ridiculous. Why wait until we’re behind to move gov out of the forward line, by which point we need the goals anyway so we might as well roll the dice and keep him there. I’m not sure that it would have made any difference, but surely this move could have been made much more quickly, or even preemptively at 3qrt time?

There were some positives though. Love yeo’s ability to kick goals in the last quarter when we need them. A couple of guys improved on last weeks effort like shuey, hutch and Cripps.

Ah chee was clean with his hands, and masten was decent I thought. Good signs from Ainsworth early on, and great efforts from shep and Cole.
Ah chee dropped a couple of simple marks and hung off some contests when he should of been hitting them, he was a minus for me, too little and not often enough. Cripps did some good things but they were cancelled by all the dumb s**t he did, Redden just did dumb s**t all day. Rioli and Ryan can't carry a forward line and Ryan has a tendancy to pull out ground ball contests as well, he's raw so get's some leeway. Waterman tried hard and did ok but he's no Jack.
Shep is our most reliable back and Cole is getting there too. Hurn once again dissapeared when a captain should be leading. Jetta as much as I like his kicking doesn't do enough. Nic doesn't look right, first year back from a knee-con maybe his early form made us lose sight of that. Hutch was good in the first half but less impressive thereafter.
Did I miss anyone?

Yeah I did, Mcinnis should never be picked again, don't mean to be harsh but I can't see the point.

Last edited:
Mixed feelings. We were more competitive and accurate, but I could see Adelaide slicing through the midfield so easily, so even 27 points up I wasn't surprised by their last quarter steamrolling of us. Like others have said more should've been done to prevent that. Nic Nat had a stinker, I hope it's not injury relates. He usually has a fair game when we win.

Think we'll go in slight favourites against GWS. Definitely a must win if we're to do any damage in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not melting just wondering.
We're missing 3 key forwards- I get that the forward line is in unchartered waters
and leaning heavily on youth to stand up, but why does the rest of the team play so badly
before they even get to the forward zone?
Badly missing Jack Darling!!
Then Barrass..and JK..............and Lecras.
Agree, something not right with NicNat, not his usual self..seemed to be getting a qtr time spray from Simmo.
It's perplexing how they can look so 2nd rate so quickly, within a few games...structure? Team cohesion/balance?
Needed Yeo in the mid..needed him everywhere really.
Our depth or Team B is only as good as what we're seeing now?...plus Venables and some Petrol.
Looking like some of JK, JD, Barrass and Lecras won't be back till Pies or later?
Might have to suck up a couple more losses..
Question is- when they all return and we have our best 22 on the park, will we have the old 10-1 style of play back?

Can't see the point in continuing to play 2 ruckmen if we're going to keep getting beaten by 1.
Might as well play one, pick another player and pinch hit around the ground with others.

I thought that was just about the worst game I've seen NN play....ever.
If he's not fit, just come out and say it. If he is fit, he should be embarrassed by that effort.

Jetta is cooked. He can't chase, can't tackle, only wants to do the flashy things. Apart from his kicking out from full back, I think he is a liability. Cole had a good game. Was was very hard at it. A brilliant, courageous attack on the ball from half back resulted in a goal for example.

I like jetta - but coles touches were him willing himself into contests - winning them with aggression, smashing through and making his opponent look second rate.

I want to see this kid rotate through the middle.

i would too, but he doesn't have the engine yet.

We lost the 4th quarter inside 50's 24-4 I think, which is the worst in the AFL this season. Also went -30 in contested possession. That's crook.

That was a train wreck no other way to describe it. We arent winning a flag outside of top two and we've pissed that up against a wall this past fortnight with two of the worst displays imaginable.

Simpson ffs the game was lost at the clearances - youve got to have yeo in there and gov a kick behind the ball. I get the roll of the dice moves early, great and it worked - the lead and game was there for the taking! Defend it you fool. Why in hell did it take the game to be over before the obvious moves were made?

Also i cant remember a worse game from nn ever - he was a complete liability. Just waiting all game for something. Anything. Got nothing.

Last edited:
Last week Simpson was criticized for not playing McGovern forward, Yeo had to cover for that.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont

The two aren't mutually exclusive in my eyes. Shep and Hurn have covered taller players in the past (and done well I might add). Gov could've played forward and Yeo played mid.

Can't see the point in continuing to play 2 ruckmen if we're going to keep getting beaten by 1.
Might as well play one, pick another player and pinch hit around the ground with others.

I thought that was just about the worst game I've seen NN play....ever.
If he's not fit, just come out and say it. If he is fit, he should be embarrassed by that effort.
Agreed.
2 ruckmen was a winning combo earlier in the season. At worst, both were holding their own against the other team's primary ruckman, and we were smashing their backup. Now suddenly we find ourselves losing the overall ruck battle despite having 2 legit ruckmen. That's simply not sustainable. It's poor use of the 22 spots.
If this is a health issue, then it is probably time to rest him because he didn't justify his spot tonight.
If it's not a health issue then he needs a serious rocket. I doubt that's the case though. He's a legit competitor, and I suspect he tried to will himself through this week but mind could not overcome body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back