Analysis Adelaide Crows - Slowest team in the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

GPannis

Rookie
Jul 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think I've ever seen a team get so comprehensively outrun by another.

Is Wayne Milera the only pacey player left in this team? It feels like they lost just about every single contest that involved sprinting.

Adelaide obviously boast a very robust midfield unit with Sloane, the Crouch brothers and Greenwood, but what good is it when players like Shiel and Merrett can skip away from them so easily? Why hasn't the Adelaide list management brought more pace into the side?

I think they are not only slow but easy to work out and are soft as butter, Always looking for the spare man hence why all the boring sideways backward kicking. Not sure if thats the coaching or the players not trusting each other, either way they are cooked as a team and need to rebuild!

Walker as slow off the field as he is on the field.

Absolute liability of a player and not fit to be captain. Also have never understood the universal love of Sloane - has never averaged more than 25 touches a season, lacks a significant weapon elite midfielders need in this era and runs like he has glue on his boots

hqdefault.jpg

From what I've seen North and Adelaide are probably the 2 slowest sides right now. That said its not so much about leg speed as it is willingness to work hard. That doesn't just mean working hard on the inside but also doing often unrewarded running to spread from contests. That's where Adelaide are failing right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly the team with the worst composure in the competition especially at home. They do have some serious issues and must rebuild from next year.

Nail on the head with working hard both ways, think it’s fair to say west coast isn’t overly quick but all of them work hard both ways , that being said Essendon are absolutely electric and would make most teams look slow! Defiantly doesn’t help when the crows forward line is basically non functional the last half , ball was coming back out quicker then it was going in.

I haven’t taken much interest in Crow’s game this year but tonight’s stats tell a bit of a story.

The killed us in stoppages numbers..hit outs, centrebounce clearances and ball ups around the ground.

Crows also 35 more marks, 30 more licks. They like to hold the ball and short pass it to around to maintain possession. But their kicking did lead to a lot Essendon interceptions in key moments.

We just out tackled them, generally worked harder and had 15 to crows 5 bounces.

Their backline is pretty ordinary.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen a team get so comprehensively outrun by another.

Is Wayne Milera the only pacey player left in this team? It feels like they lost just about every single contest that involved sprinting.

Adelaide obviously boast a very robust midfield unit with Sloane, the Crouch brothers and Greenwood, but what good is it when players like Shiel and Merrett can skip away from them so easily? Why hasn't the Adelaide list management brought more pace into the side?

We have drafted them, it's just they languish in the SANFL and the selectors have a hard-on for a player like David Mackay who never does anything of note yet has 200 games to his name.

We are close to the worst run club in the competition, you cannot underestimate how much of a debacle we are. Run by the most mediocre of people.

This is what happens when you don't bottom out.

You select the mid range kids who have deficiencies.

You miss out on the line breaking elite players. You get good honest types, their squad is filled with them.

This is what happens when you don't bottom out.

You select the mid range kids who have deficiencies.

You miss out on the line breaking elite players. You get good honest types, their squad is filled with them.
Is it that or is it that they need a better recruiter?

Swans and Cats have a very good record over a prolonged period of time without bottoming out.

We are the slowest by far. It is painful to watch.

We have a devastating mix of being slow and apathetic (or pathetic).

So the brains trust feel we have to play slow and keep possession but the problem is we suck at kicking and marking so it makes it hard.

Is it that or is it that they need a better recruiter?

Swans and Cats have a very good record over a prolonged period of time without bottoming out.
Father son picks helps....go home factor helped... Free agency...

Adelaide recruiters are great, their development is great (former Port man of their golden years).

They just make the best outta their situation. No blame on them at all.

But you don't get Judd types at pick 35. Not in 2019.

I haven’t taken much interest in Crow’s game this year but tonight’s stats tell a bit of a story.

The killed us in stoppages numbers..hit outs, centrebounce clearances and ball ups around the ground.

Crows also 35 more marks, 30 more licks. They like to hold the ball and short pass it to around to maintain possession. But their kicking did lead to a lot Essendon interceptions in key moments.

We just out tackled them, generally worked harder and had 15 to crows 5 bounces.

Their backline is pretty ordinary.

The fact you think our backline is the problem is telling of just how little you've seen of us this year. Our backline is our redeeming feature. You simply cant put up with the repeat entry s**t and lack of midfield accountability allowing easy balls over tje top forever without being made to look s**t. It wasn't our defence tonight (perhaps a fadeout of energy at the end but again a culmination of what they had to put up with)

The fact you think our backline is the problem is telling of just how little you've seen of us this year. Our backline is our redeeming feature. You simply cant put up with the repeat entry s**t and lack of midfield accountability allowing easy balls over tje top forever without being made to look s**t. It wasn't our defence tonight (perhaps a fadeout of energy at the end but again a culmination of what they had to put up with)
Defence isn't remotely the problem. It's easily the best area of the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back