Opinion Adelaide Football Club to Crouch "leave"... gets unhappy when he leaves

Remove this Banner Ad

So this is currently going off on social media:

I find this interaction hilarious and super interesting.

The footage shows the Adelaide coaching group trying to address the lack of defencive efforts with a group of players. One of which is Crouch.

They show a bit of footage of a stoppage where Crouch seems to get caught on the wrong side of the play, of no fault of his own and is then forced to try and catch up to his opponent who's a good 10m in front of him running into the f50.

They ask Crouch why he didn't run hard enough, which is a bit stupid and a futile exercise given his opponent is already a mile in front. Crouch tries to defend himself by telling the coaches that when he watches that footage he thinks more about the root cause of the issue. He thinks the problem is earlier and the footage they are looking at is too late. He feels like he's carrying the can for a problem that occurred earlier but concedes he could do a bit more.

Their response: "defend or leave".

I find that absolutely staggering. You have an experienced player trying to explain the root cause of the issue, only for the senior coach to completely ignore him and then read him the riot act.

"Defend or leave"

So what happens at the end of that season. Well s**t shock horror, he *in leaves. Who would stick around for that s**t.

At this point you would think Adelaide's response to him leaving would be "ahhh well who cares, he did what we told him too". They obviously don't rate or care much for him.

But nope, Adelaide then proceed to whinge publicly that he did in fact leave.

Does anyone else find this:
A) *in hilarious
B) extremely unprofessional
C) out right stupid!
D) unfair on Crouch and any player who is put in that position where they are ignored, berated, bullied, told to leave then demonised when they do what they're told?

Adelaide has some serious *in issues IMO

Adelaide won 3 games last year, then we took their most prolific ball winner for nothing.

Probably some truth in that review, so I hope this public criticism drives Crouch to be a better player for us.

I hope Adelaide implode further or remain stable.

:thumbsu:

Gotta admit I noticed something similar on the weekend. Granted it's the first pre season match and he could've blown up. But he did switch off and not dig in at times. That's just the view from my armchair. I wasn't looking carefully at him, but this just stood out to me unfortunately.

Nicks what a joke
He will be in Neeld Watson and Richo category

Pretty embarrassing for Adelaide.

Sounds like they were trying so hard to make an example that they didn't use any logic, ie what happened in the play leading up to that situation, to hang someone out to dry. How can you have any faith in your coaches if they have a mindset like that?
Oh well, good for us!

Also is it just me or when the "If you don't want to defend get out" speech is happening, it's obviously after a cut and appears to be a general comment rather than directed at Crouch? Seems like the reality TV treatment in editing.

Nicks what a joke
He will be in Neeld Watson and Richo category
It doesn't matter what field of life when we're examining the moment ultimatums get thrown out there, the relationship has degenerated to a power play, it becomes a matter of time before players leave the coach gets the bullet etc. That Nicks is playing this card in his first season as coach speaks to him being unfit for the job.

It doesn't matter what field of life when we're examining the moment ultimatums get thrown out there, the relationship has degenerated to a power play, it becomes a matter of time before players leave the coach gets the bullet etc. That Nicks is playing this card in his first season as coach speaks to him being unfit for the job.

so much this

i just don't get why you would go straight to that point, mowman is right, it reeks of a Neeld power move

Stupid the coach let this be made public , the Crows had more than one player not performing - but sh/t canning there best midfielder for the world to see , you can see why he left. I would bet money Matt Crouch being a free agent next year will be gone too.
What is said in the rooms should stay there , hopefully this spurs Brad to have a blinder of a season.

Coaching isn't about hugs and sing & songs all the time. Sometimes you have to be a prick to get your point across. We have no context other than this snippet...and as someone else said, it's been edited to create an effect. I don't have Amazon Prime, so it's something I'll never see. We have Brad, they don't. It is what it is. There you have it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find that absolutely staggering. You have an experienced player trying to explain the root cause of the issue, only for the senior coach to completely ignore him and then read him the riot act.

Really?! This is pretty well exactly what I would expect of an AFL coach. It's a brutal competition and the discipline to play this game at the highest level has to be uncompromising. It doesn't matter that his opponent in this clip was too far ahead, you make the effort, you send the message that you are not going to give it up no matter how far behind you are. That effort flows through the whole team.

To me, Crouch's response was an excuse. The coach wasn't talking about what had happened prior, he was talking about the fact that Crouch gave up on it.

The "defend or leave" is just rhetoric. If that had anything to do with Crouch leaving Crows then I would advise Saints to move him on.

So this is currently going off on social media:

I find this interaction hilarious and super interesting.

The footage shows the Adelaide coaching group trying to address the lack of defencive efforts with a group of players. One of which is Crouch.

They show a bit of footage of a stoppage where Crouch seems to get caught on the wrong side of the play, of no fault of his own and is then forced to try and catch up to his opponent who's a good 10m in front of him running into the f50.

They ask Crouch why he didn't run hard enough, which is a bit stupid and a futile exercise given his opponent is already a mile in front. Crouch tries to defend himself by telling the coaches that when he watches that footage he thinks more about the root cause of the issue. He thinks the problem is earlier and the footage they are looking at is too late. He feels like he's carrying the can for a problem that occurred earlier but concedes he could do a bit more.

Their response: "defend or leave".

"Defend or leave"

So what happens at the end of that season. Well sh*t shock horror, he fu**in leaves. Who would stick around for that sh*t.

At this point you would think Adelaide's response to him leaving would be "ahhh well who cares, he did what we told him too". They obviously don't rate or care much for him.

But nope, Adelaide then proceed to whinge publicly that he did in fact leave.

Does anyone else find this:
A) fu**in hilarious
B) extremely unprofessional
C) out right stupid!
D) unfair on Crouch and any player who is put in that position where they are ignored, berated, bullied, told to leave then demonised when they do what they're told?

Adelaide has some serious fu**in issues IMO

Looks very David Brent. Probably pulled out the ghetto-blaster and played Simply The Best at the end of the session.

Coaching isn't about hugs and sing & songs all the time. Sometimes you have to be a prick to get your point across. We have no context other than this snippet...and as someone else said, it's been edited to create an effect. I don't have Amazon Prime, so it's something I'll never see. We have Brad, they don't. It is what it is. There you have it.

If you already have a relationship with the players you can drive the knife bit deeper. It's a fine line between inspiration and loosing the players. A club that had one of the biggest fall outs ever after their "camp", chose to use a 1980s coaching method that singles out players for humiliation. It's the opposite to how the modern coaches go about it where they make training positive and enjoyable. Seems like the opposite to what you'd imagine would be good for that group.

It’s all about RESPECT, treat a person like s**t & they will play like s**t, treat that same person with respect & they play better.
These guys are grown men, a quiet word on the side (they know when they have f#@$ed up) instead of making a documentary for all the world to see, just wrong.

If you already have a relationship with the players you can drive the knife bit deeper. It's a fine line between inspiration and loosing the players. A club that had one of the biggest fall outs ever after their "camp", chose to use a 1980s coaching method that singles out players for humiliation. It's the opposite to how the modern coaches go about it where they make training positive and enjoyable. Seems like the opposite to what you'd imagine would be good for that group.
It's about when to give a hug, or when to give the whip.
Having not properly addressed the "camp" issues, AFC are going through a slow decay the same as the dopers have.

With the exception of a few club stalwarts it would seem that anyone who can find a new club is on the move.
They're loading up with some good kids for a few years now, but they're culture is stuffed and 4-5 years at the bottom doesn't inspire the youth much.

Really?! This is pretty well exactly what I would expect of an AFL coach. It's a brutal competition and the discipline to play this game at the highest level has to be uncompromising. It doesn't matter that his opponent in this clip was too far ahead, you make the effort, you send the message that you are not going to give it up no matter how far behind you are. That effort flows through the whole team.

To me, Crouch's response was an excuse. The coach wasn't talking about what had happened prior, he was talking about the fact that Crouch gave up on it.

The "defend or leave" is just rhetoric. If that had anything to do with Crouch leaving Crows then I would advise Saints to move him on.
Exactly haha. Comment was directed to the entire group.

Lol Brad Crouch is one of the best ball winners in the competition, he shits in 30 disposals a week without even trying

if he’s going to play on the dangerous goal side of his opponent, then I’m fine with that. Will his direct opposition occasionally get the ball? No doubt. But for the most part, Brad Crouch knows where to be to get the footy, and if he’s goal side and gets it, then his direct opponent is caught out of position too... it’s a 2 way avenue

I don't know man, people have bad days...May have been he was trying to show that no one is exempt from having to do their job...even Brad Crouch who was probably in their top 3 players...and the coach just came across badly. May have been that it was a single isolated incident, that they stupidly allowed to be filmed. We don't know how training or anything had been before hand...maybe the players had been taking the piss. We don't know...and it's Adelaide...so we don't need to care.

I agree with you on terms of effort shown and not simply giving up when there's a chance to put pressure on. I also know this was in regards to season 2020...

But....

This year quarters are back to full size and interchange is down to 75 per game. We saw in the doggies/Melbourne game how gassed some of these mids are going to get by Q4.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest of we see some of this, and even it being directed by the coaching staff, so as to not waste energy on futile chases.

It’s all about RESPECT, treat a person like sh*t & they will play like sh*t, treat that same person with respect & they play better.
These guys are grown men, a quiet word on the side (they know when they have f#@$ed up) instead of making a documentary for all the world to see, just wrong.

Yeah, allowing that moment to be aired was seriously amateur. Whatever about the tactics, or choice of words from the coach. Allowing it to be filmed, and used was dumb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back