Opinion Adelaide Football Club to Crouch "leave"... gets unhappy when he leaves

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, allowing that moment to be aired was seriously amateur. Whatever about the tactics, or choice of words from the coach. Allowing it to be filmed, and used was dumb.

The whole point. I am sure coaches say this all the time to players. However to let it is is very poor by the AFC. It feeds into a club admin that is a bit of a rabble. We all remember Ricuitto slagging off the players that had left the AFC in recent years.

We remember the absolute farce of them grandstanding about matching the Saints offer to Crouch and humiliating their supporters.

The perception is they seem to be in freefall and perception is reality in many observers eyes, this does not help the perception at all.

Feel like this is a bit of an overreaction. There's not much context in that snippet and there seems to be a very tenuous link being made between the comments and Crouch's departure. I don't think this reflects anywhere near as badly on Adelaide as some are making out. Seems like the comments about leaving were pretty broadly directed to the group to emphasise the importance of defence.

Personal opinion... but what stands out the most is that

If your going to hang one of your players out to dry infront of his peers...

Atleast hear him out when he says he thinks the play broke down before that.

There is a reason why clubs struggle when they attempt youth rebuilds. Because the experience isn’t their to identify and correct the root of issues. So coaches then coach a player to focus on the defensive side of their game and over coach a player so that he loses his “flair” for

Feel like this is a bit of an overreaction. There's not much context in that snippet and there seems to be a very tenuous link being made between the comments and Crouch's departure. I don't think this reflects anywhere near as badly on Adelaide as some are making out. Seems like the comments about leaving were pretty broadly directed to the group to emphasise the importance of defence.
Agree

There is nothing wrong at all with giving brutal feedback, indeed it is essential. I don't doubt that Crouch deserved some blunt criticism.

But this clip suggests two things to me:

(a) There is a distinct lack of eye contact all round. Sloane doesn't look at Crouch when he gives him a spray, and Crouch doesn't look back at him. Nicks is sitting behind Crouch when he reads the riot act. Crouch generally looks disenchanted and uncomfortable in the group. These are all indications that social cohesion was lacking. The other coach who is leading the session seems to me to be the only one who has the right balance between criticism and compassion, and notice he looks straight at Crouch when he criticises and Crouch looks back. This social cohesion is the glue that turns individuals into teams, and Ratten knows how to create it.

(b) Crouch's opinion doesn't get a hearing, and he isn't given the opportunity to express his view. In any setting, the surest route to social breakdown is when individuals feel that their views and opinions are not respected. It doesn't matter if Nicks thinks that Crouch is deflecting or talking s**t - you need to let him get his view of his chest and give him a chance to defend himself.

All round, this is a bad reflection on Nicks and it doesn't surprise me at all that Crouch was in a low place by the end of the season and eventually left the group.

Personal opinion... but what stands out the most is that

If your going to hang one of your players out to dry infront of his peers...

Atleast hear him out when he says he thinks the play broke down before that.

There is a reason why clubs struggle when they attempt youth rebuilds. Because the experience isn’t their to identify and correct the root of issues. So coaches then coach a player to focus on the defensive side of their game and over coach a player so that he loses his “flair” for

players will switch off pretty quickly if a coaches "go to" form of motivation is to tell them to leave the club. that's the type of stuff you see at the end of a coaches tenure. but to pull it in season 1 :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

i don't see this relationship lasting that long

i wouldn't be surprised at all if they pull the pin at the end of season 2. can't see him going beyond season 3.

There's some serious "creative editing" going on in that clip - Nicks isn't addressing Crouch directly, he's speaking to the group in the meeting.

Like I said earlier, looks edited exactly like a reality TV show.
All it needed was the 'sting' and some dramatic music. Maybe cut to some concerned looks from the group that were filmed 3 days prior.

There's some serious "creative editing" going on in that clip - Nicks isn't addressing Crouch directly, he's speaking to the group in the meeting.
That would only make it worse, Nicks hanging a matzo ball like that out there, what's his follow up? Sack everyone in the midfield that doesn't do exactly what he want's? Did he follow up and drop anyone?

He's not Leigh Matthews or Yabby, he's a first year coach of no great status, it's a bigger mistake than the players not running hard to defend.

That would only make it worse, Nicks hanging a matzo ball like that out there, what's his follow up? Sack everyone in the midfield that doesn't do exactly what he want's? Did he follow up and drop anyone?

He's not Leigh Matthews or Yabby, he's a first year coach of no great status, it's a bigger mistake than the players not running hard to defend.

lots of Scott Watters about Nicks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks: "grab your bag and walk out"
Players: "you will release us from our contracts?"
Nicks: "ahhhh fu**. that didn't go the way i intended it to. you're meant to want to stay"
Players: "why?"

Nick: 'Right lets team bond over a training camp on the GC hinterland then?'

Yeah, allowing that moment to be aired was seriously amateur. Whatever about the tactics, or choice of words from the coach. Allowing it to be filmed, and used was dumb.
The AFC admin are a pack of knuckle draggers at the moment. They are all about appearing like hard kents, but that's just what dumb kents do..

The AFC admin are a pack of knuckle draggers at the moment. They are all about appearing like hard kents, but that's just what dumb kents do..

couldn't agree more

they're on a long term rebuild/fix, not only onfield but also off it, you'd think they'd shut up and just quietly fix the foundations of their club.

but nope, lets just show everyone the fire burning inside the 4 walls of the club and then proceed to throw petrol at it

2017, equal favourites with the Tigers for the flag.

Granny. Power stance :D :D :D

Since the 2017 Granny

Destroyed the players confidence with the humiliating and apparently racist player camp.

Their meathead clown of a captain bagged Lever for leaving while Bryce Squibbs joined them.

Ricuitto bagged out all the players that left the club at the beginning of 2020 (after destroying their confidence) club proceeds to win their first wooden spoon.

Sack their coach, keep Ricuitto.

Club pretends to be D&T players, threatening to match Crouch's offer, they played to their base then humiliated them when they meekly said they wouldn't match.

Now try to fabricate some kind of culture by again attacking a departed player with their amateur Scott Watters clone.

What an epic train wreck of a club. Impressive in just 3.5 years since their GF humiliation.

100% agree. Overblown

couldn't agree more

they're on a long term rebuild/fix, not only onfield but also off it, you'd think they'd shut up and just quietly fix the foundations of their club.

but nope, lets just show everyone the fire burning inside the 4 walls of the club and then proceed to throw petrol at it
They've done a good job OMHO with drafting since their GF appearance, but the mid career blokes are all getting out of the place and they'll end up like we were 3 years ago.
If they don't un-damn their culture soon, the young blokes will start wanting out and then it's 10 years at the bottom. The good thing is that they're clearly still in denial and are still running towards the edge of the cliff.

They've done a good job OMHO with drafting since their GF appearance, but the mid career blokes are all getting out of the place and they'll end up like we were 3 years ago.
If they don't un-damn their culture soon, the young blokes will start wanting out and then it's 10 years at the bottom. The good thing is that they're clearly still in denial and are still running towards the edge of the cliff.
And it will never change while Ricciuto is there

100% agree. Overblown
These kinds of frank discussions happen at all clubs. What would've been worse is if Nicks avoided directly addressing the issues he saw on film. This kind of direct feedback is healthy for a players growth. I'm sure Crouch being in the system so long has experienced it many times, in this case even more so as Nicks comments regarding packing up and leaving weren't directed to him, it was a general comment not to be taken literally but to snap the players into gear.

It would be a huge mistake for us to bring Crouch over if he walked because of that because I reckon a club desperate for improvement like ours would give feedback even harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back