Adelaide, Fremantle and Geelong should hand back their AFLW licenses, according to Bec Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Bec Goddard left her position as Adelaide's AFLW coach at the end of the 2018 season, citing an unsatisfying contract offer. A similar scenario occurred with Michelle Cowan and Fremantle. They were subsequently replaced by big bad men who, by the way, have overseen an improvement to their respective club's win-loss record.

On the back of today's news that Geelong have let go 15 staff members as part of a $6m cost-cutting measure, including their head of women's football, the coach of Hawthorn's VFLW team posted the following tweet:

I personally think the Crows, Dockers and Cats have helped women's football take enormous strides forward in SA, WA and regional VIC. Especially in the last two years! I also predict women's football in such key areas would be immeasurably worse off if those clubs were to a) bankrupt themselves with financially irresponsible decisions; and b) carelessly abandon their AFLW programs.

It would be too easy to say Goddard's brand of cheap, solution-free hindsight is what happens when you believe the fawning praise heaped on you by airhead sycophants like Andy Maher and Sam Lane. The truth is she's always been this clueless.

She's a Hawthorn supporter and been appointed their VFLW coach so it's easy to see the self-interest and bias she has in wanting an existing club with an AFLW licence to be axed (so that it can be replaced by Hawthorn with her at the helm). That it is Geelong (a long term Hawthorn rival) is also unlikely to be a coincidence.

Perhaps she should direct her anger to Jeff Kennett and the Hawthorn Board and Administration who couldn't be assed making the effort to apply for an AFLW licence when they were offered to all clubs.

Jeff Kennett and the Hawthorn Board and Administration who couldn't be assed making the effort to apply for an AFLW licence when they were offered to all clubs.
Which is just one of their many neglectful acts in the realm of women's footy over the last five years. Can't forget Kennett publicly trashing the league repeatedly--at first saying he's happy Hawthorn didn't have a team, but nowadays claiming they're being discriminated against. Not to mention the tenure of CEO Tracey Gaudry, who tried to prioritise the club's AFLW entry and was sacked after just five months in the job.

I'm sure the Hawks will add a lot of value to the league when they join it in a few years from now, but the hypocrisy on display here is astounding and outrageous.

Bec Goddard left her position as Adelaide's AFLW coach at the end of the 2018 season, citing an unsatisfying contract offer. A similar scenario occurred with Michelle Cowan and Fremantle. They were subsequently replaced by big bad men who, by the way, have overseen an improvement to their respective club's win-loss record.
The entirety of Goddard and Clarke's win-loss ratio at the Crows comes down to Erin Phillips. When she's fully fit through the year, the Crows lead the league, when she's struggling they bottom out. Happened for both coaches.

The entirety of Goddard and Clarke's win-loss ratio at the Crows comes down to Erin Phillips. When she's fully fit through the year, the Crows lead the league, when she's struggling they bottom out. Happened for both coaches.
I shouldn't quibble with your firm grasp of the obvious, but... Goddard's AFLW record without Phillips was 0-2 with a % of 49 (excluding the embarrassing SOO massacre, to be clear). Clarke's is 2-2 with a % of 81. Goddard also didn't have to go without Chelsea Randall for a year. We might also look at a sample of Crows players across the past four seasons, such as Anne Hatchard, and not have to wonder too much about which coach has produced better results for the club.

Overall, though, the point you make is highly relevant. Better to cut back on managers and coaches than the on-field talent. Especially considering the players don't cost as much.

If Collingwood had their time again, they wouldn't waste money on Meg Hutchins as their women's football operations manager. Hutchins, whose appointment led to the Pies whiffing on Erin Phillips as a father-daughter selection, is now the women's football recruiting manager at Hawthorn--a position that allows her to be responsible for many more terrible decisions in the future.

I shouldn't quibble with your firm grasp of the obvious, but... Goddard's AFLW record without Phillips was 0-2 with a % of 49 (excluding the embarrassing SOO massacre, to be clear). Clarke's is 2-2 with a % of 81. Goddard also didn't have to go without Chelsea Randall for a year. We might also look at a sample of Crows players across the past four seasons, such as Anne Hatchard, and not have to wonder too much about which coach has produced better results for the club.
I said fully fit, not missing from games. She played through 2018 hampered with a quad injury that restricted her impact.

As for Anne Hatchard, you mean the player who wasn't a professional athlete going into the AFLW who then benefitted from an greatly increased fitness level after multiple preseasons? That Anne Hatchard?

I said fully fit, not missing from games. She played through 2018 hampered with a quad injury that restricted her impact.
You also said the entirety of the win-loss record came down to Phillips. A slightly inaccurate statement, so I corrected it.
As for Anne Hatchard, you mean the player who wasn't a professional athlete going into the AFLW who then benefitted from an greatly increased fitness level after multiple preseasons? That Anne Hatchard?
Get real. She was averaging 7 disposals per game after multiple pre-seasons. Her fitness only discernibly increased after Clarke told her to choose between eating KFC and playing AFLW. Delivering hard truths of that nature was clearly a weakness of Goddard's. Just like how she didn't have the heart to straighten out Angela Foley, whose behind-the-play sniping cost the Crows a grand final appearance in 2018.

On the back of today's news that Geelong have let go 15 staff members as part of a $6m cost-cutting measure, including their head of women's football, the coach of Hawthorn's VFLW team posted the following tweet:

I personally think the Crows, Dockers and Cats have helped women's football take enormous strides forward in SA, WA and regional VIC. Especially in the last two years! I also predict women's football in such key areas would be immeasurably worse off if those clubs were to a) bankrupt themselves with financially irresponsible decisions; and b) carelessly abandon their AFLW programs.

It would be too easy to say Goddard's brand of cheap, solution-free hindsight is what happens when you believe the fawning praise heaped on you by airhead sycophants like Andy Maher and Sam Lane. The truth is she's always been this clueless.

Cowan had a bad win-loss record and rumors that their were player issues.

Cooper came in, better record and rumors of a great culture. Everybody will be back except one Irish ( personal issues).

Goddard seems a bit bitter.

Having 2 of the best half dozen in the league makes a big difference. Randall not far behind Erin I reckon. Goddard is a spiteful campaigner. Hugely unpopular and word was Erin basically got the girls up and going despite the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back