Traded Adelaide, Fremantle & Melbourne trade mutiple picks

Adelaide in: #22 and future 3rd (tied to Collingwood)
Adelaide out: #28, #49 and a future 4th (tied to Carlton)

Fremantle in: #8 and #49
Fremantle out: #10, #22 and future 3rd (tied to Collingwood)

Melbourne in: #10, #28 and a future 4th (tied to Carlton)
Melbourne out: #8

Just to clarify which future picks were traded ^

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So basically, if no one bids on Henry then Fremantle get pick 8, and Henry

this whole system is completely stupid. Same with the GWS Green thing. You should forfeit your ability to bid on a player if he gets drafted shortly after your last pick.

it’s completely stupid that teams are getting more young talent then they should be getting

So basically, if no one bids on Henry then Fremantle get pick 8, 10 and Henry

this whole system is completely stupid. Same with the GWS Green thing. You should forfeit your ability to bid on a player if he gets drafted shortly after your last pick.

it’s completely stupid that teams are getting more young talent then they should be getting
They still have to pay the price for Henry. If he doesn't get bid on straight away then instead of using this years pick they'll go into deficit next year and their picks will be demoted as far down as necessary to repay the pick.

If a bid comes at 11, they'd need to cough up 1063 points from somewhere. Currently there's 506 points in their later picks (though they'll move down the draft and lose their value as usual). Then the other 557 points comes off next years first round pick, currently pick 6 if everyone finishes in the same spots as they did this year. That pick would move back to about 13.

If Freo move up the ladder next year and finish 8th, they'll have pick 12 which is worth 1268 points to begin with. Then take off the 506 points and it moves down into the mid-30s, end of second round.

You still have to pay the price, and it can screw your entire draft hand if you're not smart enough about it.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They still have to pay the price for Henry. If he doesn't get bid on straight away then instead of using this years pick they'll go into deficit next year and their picks will be demoted as far down as necessary to repay the pick.

If a bid comes at 11, they'd need to cough up 1063 points from somewhere. Currently there's 506 points in their later picks (though they'll move down the draft and lose their value as usual). Then the other 557 points comes off next years first round pick, currently pick 6 if everyone finishes in the same spots as they did this year. That pick would move back to about 13.

If Freo move up the ladder next year and finish 8th, they'll have pick 12 which is worth 1268 points to begin with. Then take off the 506 points and it moves down into the mid-30s, end of second round.

You still have to pay the price, and it can screw your entire draft hand if you're not smart enough about it.
Yes I know but look at GWS if you tell them right now you can have two top 5 picks in this draft and as a result you would have no picks next year they would most likely take that considering next years draft is trash.

It’s a dumb system. I’d get rid of academy selections all together if it were up to me.

Yes I know but look at GWS if you tell them right now you can have two top 5 picks in this draft and as a result you would have no picks next year they would most likely take that considering next years draft is trash.

It’s a dumb system. I’d get rid of academy selections all together if it were up to me.
Yeah but that's GWS. It's designed to be unfair. A lot of players end up coming home anyway, which is a consequence of interstate clubs having a lot of picks while half of the talent comes from Victoria (a self-perpetuating situation really, they go home, the interstate club gets yet another pick to use on another Victorian). They need academies to grow the talent coming from other states so that northern (and even western and.. midwestern? idk you're west of me too lol) teams becomes self-sustaining instead of having a boomerang draft.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah but that's GWS. It's designed to be unfair. A lot of players end up coming home anyway, which is a consequence of interstate clubs having a lot of picks while half of the talent comes from Victoria (a self-perpetuating situation really, they go home, the interstate club gets yet another pick to use on another Victorian). They need academies to grow the talent coming from other states so that northern (and even western and.. midwestern? idk you're west of me too lol) teams becomes self-sustaining instead of having a boomerang draft.
Yeah but why do clubs like hawthorn (next year with two players), Fremantle this year, all Victorian clubs hell even port need academies? It’s dumb, fair enough teams from Queensland, and Sydney where AFL isn’t the number one sport but the rest do not need academies

Yeah but why do clubs like hawthorn (next year with two players), Fremantle this year, all Victorian clubs hell even port need academies? It’s dumb, fair enough teams from Queensland, and Sydney where AFL isn’t the number one sport but the rest do not need academies
Because the talent pool is diluted and they want clubs to invest. Which clubs do you think have money to invest?

I think they should look at tightening up the rules so that they're investing in kids who don't play footy currently, rather than having the rights to kids that have already been in local footy programs and would have played the sport anyway.

Here's a couple of graphs I made a couple of weeks ago in case you're curious about where all these players are coming from:

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 5.38.30 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 6.28.18 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 6.36.46 pm.png

Last edited:

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think they should look at tightening up the rules so that they're investing in kids who don't play footy currently, rather than having the rights to kids that have already been in local footy programs and would have played the sport anyway.

That's a bit hard to apply. Many players play multiple sports through their childhood and adolescence.

And if you apply it to the northern states, in particular, the academies are the only elite training programme available. Even for kids who some would argue would have played football anyway.

They could tighten up the system but stipulating the degree of involvement that a player needs to have had with the academy. Or linking the discount to it. Criteria apply to the northern academies.

Alternatively, the perceived draft points / matching issues could easily be rebalanced by requiring clubs to match with an initial pick within, say, 10 picks of the bid. It would still provide priority access but make it much harder for clubs to engage in the antics they have been. My club has been as involved as any. They are legal, but they are all gaming the intent of the bidding system - to make clubs pay an approximately fair price for the talent they are given priority access to.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
So basically, if no one bids on Henry then Fremantle get pick 8, and Henry

Glass half empty guy.

Clubs in deficit are gonna have to trade out players to get back into the draft. Use us an example, Mumford and Shaw retiring, throw in a couple of other list changes with first pick as a third rounder and having to make 4-5 picks. The need to get picks in next year will be high and this spells opportunity for opposition clubs to poach. If we get 2 top 5 talents this year the rest of the selections are going to be the last picks in the draft, therefore delisted players or longshots to make it. That creates a hole in the age profile of the list and I doubt list management people want that. I think next year's trade period will be full of changes and the clubs with academy selections will get strategic creating an opportunity for those without to benefit. Clubs this year are paying a big price to jump up 2 list spots. If there is 4 or 5 clubs next year looking to do the same there is big opportunity to benefit from it.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Back