Remove this Banner Ad

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I actually love it don't get the complain about Sydney and GWS academy before this.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought Freo gave up a bit too much, but at least they got ahead of a Henry bid. Would have been simpler had they just taken St Kilda's offer for Hill that included pick 6.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I thought Freo gave up a bit too much, but at least they got ahead of a Henry bid. Would have been simpler had they just taken St Kilda's offer for Hill that included pick 6.
Never on offer. St Kilda got too many players coming in and need to get creative, I called it BS from media. Port won't send Howard to St kilda without first round pick.

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
They still have to pay the price for Henry. If he doesn't get bid on straight away then instead of using this years pick they'll go into deficit next year and their picks will be demoted as far down as necessary to repay the pick.

If a bid comes at 11, they'd need to cough up 1063 points from somewhere. Currently there's 506 points in their later picks (though they'll move down the draft and lose their value as usual). Then the other 557 points comes off next years first round pick, currently pick 6 if everyone finishes in the same spots as they did this year. That pick would move back to about 13.

If Freo move up the ladder next year and finish 8th, they'll have pick 12 which is worth 1268 points to begin with. Then take off the 506 points and it moves down into the mid-30s, end of second round.

You still have to pay the price, and it can screw your entire draft hand if you're not smart enough about it.
If Fremantle did go into deficit for next year, do you know exactly when their pick(s) get demoted? Is it immediately after the season is finished and the draft order is set? or would it be on commencement of the draft? I imagine that Fremantle would want to trade out their 2020 first round pick before it gets demoted as GWS have done already.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Excellent trade in my opinion. This ensures that we get two quality players before a bid is placed on Henry. So we get 3 top 15 players, great outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
This only works for Fremantle if we can get 550 extra points this year to preserve next years first.

Or we go ballistic and lose next years first for an array of picks this year.

personally I think the former is plausible but it will cost us a 2nd rounder next year.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Fremantle did go into deficit for next year, do you know exactly when their pick(s) get demoted? Is it immediately after the season is finished and the draft order is set? or would it be on commencement of the draft? I imagine that Fremantle would want to trade out their 2020 first round pick before it gets demoted as GWS have done already.
Trade future second to the Swans for pick 33. Promise not to bid on a Sydney player.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Trade future second to the Swans for pick 33. Promise not to bid on a Sydney player.
Since all we need is points i makes more sense to trade future 2nd for later picks worth more than 33. That way we might also be left with a couple of later picks before 80 for our last selection (or two).

Wonder if we will wait till draft night to see where the bid is before trading in the points.

jusjoshin

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2008
Gosnells
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, East Side Hawks
Get rid of discount all together, you want the player you pay
Not much incentive to develop footy players from regional areas then is there. The AFL needs more high caliber players. The cities are pretty good at developing talent. The academies gives regional kids access to resources that a lot of city kids take for granted. The clubs are footing the bills for these resources (coaches, equipment), I don't see the issue with giving them a 20% discount on these kids. It is nowhere near as broken as the old father-son rules which Vic clubs got massive value from.

It’s applied before the trade period, after the season. Can’t trade out the picks and avoid the penalty.

They can’t meaningfully trade next years pick out since the player trade period has closed and converting 2020 picks to 2019 picks is still going to end up paying. Their only option is to convert it into a pick that they can use before Henry is bid on. So either they pay the price with 2020 picks or they pay it with 2021 picks.

If by some strange circumstance you’d completely traded out your 2019 draft hand and the picks remaining for 2020 weren’t enough to cover the deficit then it would carry over to 2021 I guess. They definitely wouldn’t let it go free.

Don’t forget that future pick trading is restricted though, either you trade out of the first round or the subsequent rounds, can’t trade both. So there’d still be some draft capital there.

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s applied before the trade period, after the season. Can’t trade out the picks and avoid the penalty.

They can’t meaningfully trade next years pick out since the player trade period has closed and converting 2020 picks to 2019 picks is still going to end up paying. Their only option is to convert it into a pick that they can use before Henry is bid on. So either they pay the price with 2020 picks or they pay it with 2021 picks.

If by some strange circumstance you’d completely traded out your 2019 draft hand and the picks remaining for 2020 weren’t enough to cover the deficit then it would carry over to 2021 I guess. They definitely wouldn’t let it go free.

Don’t forget that future pick trading is restricted though, either you trade out of the first round or the subsequent rounds, can’t trade both. So there’d still be some draft capital there.
Thanks for clarifying. I was asking not to see if the deficit can be avoided but to see how it can best be paid. Typically clubs have preferred to pay using late picks rather than early picks but if Fremantle aren't able to trade their pick during next years trade period it they will have no choice but to take the deficit out of their first pick. In your scenario Fremantle might get better value for their 2020 first round pick if they trade it out this year to say, Essendon for 2019 33 and 2020 pick 10. That was the deficit comes out of this years pick 33 and Fremantle end up with pick 10 next year instead of pick 13. Those 2020 draft picks all based upon this years ladder.

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo have done surprisingly well in this trade period. But the real test is them actually nailing the draft picks now!

Correct. Picks look nice but they need to rechristen the potential of their top 10 expectations (I am including Henry)

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Yes I know but look at GWS if you tell them right now you can have two top 5 picks in this draft and as a result you would have no picks next year they would most likely take that considering next years draft is trash.

It’s a dumb system. I’d get rid of academy selections all together if it were up to me.

Obviously something you have a strong opinion on and that's great i think.

I'm not huge on GWS bring in arguably two top 5 players and than forfeiting the rest of the 2019 draft and a large chunk of the 2020 draft either but it is what it is.

Bsck to the case in point and I think it's a good move for all 3 clubs. Well played by all but I think it benefits Freo the most. Two live looks before a Henry bid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back