Adelaide Giants Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's no coincidence Smart and Fagan departed soon after Olsen took over from Chapman. Not sure how Roo survived.

You can fire underperforming employees, you can’t fire underperforming board members

Small but symbolic step in the right direction. IMHO (even putting aside the impact of COVID which couldn’t be foreseen at the time we did this and the esports deal) this expansion strategy which seemed to be premised on either/both of the following hypotheses was fundamentally flawed:
  1. We had a supporter base that could be easily directed/encouraged to follow a team in another sport; and
  2. We had sports admin capabilities that could be easily deployed to another team in another sport with minimal additional costs but for significant impact

Small but symbolic step in the right direction. IMHO (even putting aside the impact of COVID which couldn’t be foreseen at the time we did this and the esports deal) this expansion strategy which seemed to be premised on either/both of the following hypotheses was fundamentally flawed:
  1. We had a supporter base that could be easily directed/encouraged to follow a team in another sport; and
  2. We had sports admin capabilities that could be easily deployed to another team in another sport with minimal additional costs but for significant impact

Agreed, very clever - (1) was always questionable and (2) was found to be laughable with our retinue of “talent”. As for the statement itself, it talks about interested parties (i.e., more than one) and that we’ve been forced to take on debt to survive. As always I’ll be super-interested to see the financials.

Last edited:
Agreed, very clever - (1) was always questionable and (2) was found to be laughable with our retinue of “talent”. As for the statement itself, it talks about interested parties (i.e., more than one) and that we’ve been forced to take on debt to survive. As always I’ll be super-interested to see the financials.
The debt is just the debt the club took on to get through Covid. Not specific baseball debt and there won’t be seperate financials for it either.

I will wait and see if the football performance improves before I decide if this is a good move, or a symbolic and purely ideological gesture.

I think the problem is that both elements are true:

The pandemic has massively shifted our finances and available resources; in that environment non-core activities like this become an unaffordable luxury

Which is the official line and I’m sure also true

Equally it is a non-core activity for a club that has lost its way, lost its focus and any edge it may have had.

It was a distraction

And that was always true too. It was a priority under the last board direction

The new one wants to refocus. As it should.

Maybe it was worth trying, maybe it wasn’t.

Thankfully it’s at least resolved now

The Adelaide Football Club has finalised the sale of its baseball franchise in a deal that will see the Adelaide Giants continue to flourish.

Leading property developer Pelligra has purchased the licence for the team which competes in the Australian Baseball League (ABL).

The arrangement has been formally approved by baseball’s governing body with Pelligra, which is also a joint owner of South Melbourne FC, taking control of the operations effective immediately.
Pelligra is who we teamed up with to submit a tender to do the Brompton site for our training base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pelligra is who we teamed up with to submit a tender to do the Brompton site for our training base.
I thought that might be - thanks for confirming

sassy-cats.gif

Pelligra announce that they want to build a baseball stadium in the city, Riverbank, Victoria Park etc. options.

This has got to be all tied in with what we're wanting to do at Brompton and the sale of the West Lakes facility.

Not so much the Baseball Stadium, but we happen to "sell" the Giants to the developer that we're working with and they now announce they want to develop a stadium, likely paid for by the Government? Who gets paid? Pelligra? What happens to the land at West Beach?

It would be very interesting to know the full picture.

Giants on a hot streak at the moment!
12 wins on the trot after tonight’s double header win against Canberra - which is the longest winning streak in the modern ABL history.

And the Giants came from the clouds to do it tonight - down 3-0 at the bottom of the 8th, and 3-1 at the bottom of the 9th, they tied it with a two run homer, then walked it off with a homer!

Less than 100 tickets left for the Giants match tomorrow night. Tomorrow night will probably be the biggest night the Giants/Bite have had at West Beach.

Not overly surprised as the stands have been were packed for the Brisbane/Geelong Korea series’, though surprisingly the crowd was slightly down for the semi final series.

Does anyone know if the finals are televised and if yes what channel? I notice the Giants lost last night.

They’re streamed via Home

You need to register but it’s free to register.

Those familiar with SANFL calls will hear a familiar voice, with Phil Herden one of the commentators

Giants won 9-2 tonight with plenty of home runs (a 3 run homer in the first followed by 4 single run homers in the 4th). The series decider is 6:00pm tomorrow.

BATS ON FIRE AS GIANTS SEND CLAXTON SHIELD TO GAME THREE DECIDER

THE Adelaide Giants turned game two of their Australian Baseball League championship series into a home run derby, taking the Claxton Shield to a deciding third game with a 9-2 home win over Perth Heat last night. The top-seeded Giants’ stayed alive in their quest to end a 43-year Claxton Shield drought, in a contest that boasted an incredible seven home runs across both teams. Having dropped the opening game in Perth on Friday night, Adelaide had no margin for error for games two and three at home – and in front of a record 2540 West Beach crowd the Giants exploded with a scintillating batting performance. Jordan McArdle sparked the rally at two down in the first inning. The Giants captain crushed a home run over the leftfield fence to bring in three runs, including lead-off batter Nick Ward and Quincy Latimore. Perth’s Jake Bowey responded with a home run of his own in the third – a thundering drive from the left-hander that registered as the hardest-hit ball at West Beach this season. Heat starting pitcher Gunnar Kines found a groove after giving up McArdle’s three-run shot, drawing a string of soft-contact hits and errant swings to retire seven Adelaide batters in a row by the end of third inning. But that streak came to a halt in spectacular fashion in the bottom of the fourth when Latimore bombed the Giants’ fourth run over the leftfield barrier. It was the first of four solo home runs in that dig, quickly tipping the contest in Adelaide’s favour. Next hitter McArdle hammered his second homer deep over rightfield for a 5-1 lead, then Jared Carr blasted one to leftfield followed by Jarryd Rogers, who drilled one into the leftfield pole for a 7-1 lead. Bowey responded with a second solo homer in the top of the fifth to give the Heat some hope of a fightback. But it looked an impossible task in the bottom of the sixth, when a Rogers base hit to centerfield scored Michael Martinez for the Giants, and then Carr scuttled home after third baseman Junior Caminero failed to glove the incoming throw. Even with a 9-2 buffer the Giants did have a scare in the eighth inning when new pitcher Bubby Rossman gave up a four-ball walk before short stop Martinez missed a regulation groundball and double-play chance. The championship decider starts at 6pm at West Beach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back