Adelaide Giants Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, but are they making any money?

Or will they drain cash from AFC?

At this time they are cost neutral, nil cost to the AFC. But they technically are in the infancy since the MBL pull out 2016, this is the first year they have expanded with strong international teams. with Winterball Korea basing a team in Australia to play and showing Games in Korea.
They are running with 2 x 4 team conference, 160 games plus playoffs.
Southwest Division = Adelaide Bite, Winterball Korea, Melbourne Aces, Perth Heat.
Northeast Division = Brisbane Bandits, Sydney Blue Sox, New Zealand, Canberra Calvery.

Cost wise I believe the travel and expense are structured similarly to the AFL, nil cost to the Clubs. Not too sure about Player payments.
The bite does come with a solid group of Sponsors. and has a reasonable following in SA.
Then there is the expertise AFC will bring to enlarge the Bites exposure and bring in More Sponsors. cost sharing over several areas could also be on the cards.

The name on the Korea team is a hint to an interesting market they have the potential to tap into.

F@#k the bite, f#$k eSports.

These are a massive distraction and shows that the organisation is not untied behind a common purpose, of ruthlessly winning premierships.
I don't know how you can extract that

F@#k the bite, f#$k eSports.

These are a massive distraction and shows that the organisation is not untied behind a common purpose, of ruthlessly winning premierships.

How is it a distraction, both E-Sports and Bite are run by a separate AFC company Adelaide Sports & Entertainment they will doing all the work.

If anything only Fagan and the Board will be distracted, But we need to remember their Job is to ensure the Club is Successful, in Order for that to happen they need to generate income and build a better base while working in a scripted soft cap environment.
Branching out ensure they can open a few more doors up to ensure new income streams all leading to better Facitlies for our Football team to use.

Remember Football park is getting older and outdated every year, and there will be a time when minor upgrades are to much of a cost to warrant. As they will eventually be forced to Moved, Having a few other teams and business will allow them to build a bigger and more improved venue.

So you think Trigg was a better CEO than Fagan?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fagan's financial capabilities are still in question. He's purchased a couple of business units but bottom line returns are definitely not proven yet. We're better off financially, but a lot of that is the astounding success of AO compared to Footy Park. Trigg basically did nothing for years except the Trigg Debacle. Outside of that, Fagan hasn't proven himself vastly superior in results yet. There's been lots of spin, respecting members intelligence, talk of best footy dept, which brings me to the context of my post. Our footy dept hasn't improved under Fagan, we're largely exactly the same but with Burton and Hass screwing us completely in the preparation department. Fagan has more financial resources, but at best he's delivering nothing extra where it matters most. But we have taken on extra risk. Hopefully it works out, but if all the extra cash gets us is Burton, what's the point.

Crows Media.

I agree with ad victoriam on this, the real news is AS&E and it seems.to me the more operations you shift away from the footy Dept the better.

For example I can see AS&E owning a sports science and clinic centre. Operational costs sit with them, and the footy club costs is just in billing.

If this is the case, it's smart. I'm not opposed to the club trying to minimise it's exposure to the AFL equalisation program aggressively in any way it can.

How is subcontracting out our sports science to a wholly owned subsidiary an improvement. Ultimately we still need to employ the right people, it's just an extra layer or a slightly different structure. We're no hope of pulling the wool over the eyes of the AFL by pushing AFC costs to the Bite. It just won't go down that way.

I'd suggest the astounding success of AO doesn't benefit us as much it does the SMA. The deal is still one of the worst in the league, and the SMA hold most of the cards.

Thomas and Fagan have been to the table many times with the SMA to try to re-negotiate to no avail.

Are you serious about this, because the Bolded part of a question is interesting, I am surprised you have not noticed how they are doing there own Media productions, which they are using to sell their services to outside companies? Think of Video marketing and Production. Social media services for advancing business, Acquiring the Bite open them up to overseas organizations as some of the media work they will be doing for the Bite will be seen overseas. same as Legacy

As for the other Look up what Nigel Smart doing, have a close look at Legacy. and the E-Sports world. I was curious so I asked questions.
Then think about what the effect of doing the Legacy media presentations in all areas of media productions. is having, and who get paid for doing these presentations.

Just Curious have you ever wonder why the Crows sponsorship agreement with ISC is worth more than some of the other clubs in the AFL.

Do you know why media companies exist? It's great that we're not using 3rd parties, but only if we're spending less internally and getting an equivalent product. Same with providing these services commercially, just because we have customers, doesn't mean that it's a profitable enterprise for us.

Do you know why media companies exist? It's great that we're not using 3rd parties, but only if we're spending less internally and getting an equivalent product. Same with providing these services commercially, just because we have customers, doesn't mean that it's a profitable enterprise for us.
It would mean we are spending a fair bit less, given the cost of employing media companies these days.

I don't believe you fully understand what the Adelaide Media and Entertainment company does and how good it does it. Yes, they do internal work for the Crows but their main work is done for non-Football clients, While their in-house work goes a long way in selling their product to potential customers. and doing the same for the Bite and E-Sport is spreading the sales pitch overseas.

In this don't mix up the business with Football,
AM&E is to the Crows what the Pokies are to other Clubs. only lot less overhead and Risk, but has the potential to grow with the right people.
In Australia, Digital media is still young and just catching on as teaching and education training for a lot of industries. Digital Media has also opened up the way people portray the companies, in both the TV and social media.

Ever noticed and wondered why the Crows run there own TV shows from the Ground up, why they do the Claude the Crow takes, the Eddie kicking comps, the TV ads for sponsors.
Ever wondered if the Crows are making money From UTube, Intergram, Facebook, Even Twitter to a lesser extent. or if they charge other organizations and TV station for showing their footage.

Just curious to anyone out there have you ever asked yourself if they make money from The Crows Show. or did you believe they paid outsiders the develop and produce the show.

Last edited:
I'd suggest the astounding success of AO doesn't benefit us as much it does the SMA. The deal is still one of the worst in the league, and the SMA hold most of the cards.

Thomas and Fagan have been to the table many times with the SMA to try to re-negotiate to no avail.
I don’t think anyone is/was getting as much as promised
It’s why year by year costs go up by so much in food/drink, memberships and there are more reserved western stand memberships (higher revenue tickets) - it’s because there are trying to get the returns where everyone hoped they’d be

It would mean we are spending a fair bit less, given the cost of employing media companies these days.
And if those companies cost a lot to use then being able to charge others for us to do that service would have a good chance of profitability.

If all the off field moves in the last couple of years this IMO appears the most likely to succeed in turning a good revenue stream.

Simply by producing our own content (which we would be putting out there regardless for the usual benefits) we get free widespread advertising of our media producing capabilities. That’s a big exposure to be taking advantage of and a leg up most business ventures don’t grt

And if those companies cost a lot to use then being able to charge others for us to do that service would have a good chance of profitability.

If all the off field moves in the last couple of years this IMO appears the most likely to succeed in turning a good revenue stream.

Simply by producing our own content (which we would be putting out there regardless for the usual benefits) we get free widespread advertising of our media producing capabilities. That’s a big exposure to be taking advantage of and a leg up most business ventures don’t grt

I'll ask again, because no-one has actually answered me yet:

All this exposure from the Crows and Legacy and now bite for our media arm is meant to get us out there as publicity so we can bring on new clients apparently. So who are the new clients that have taken up our media content production over the past 12 months other than the acquisitions?

Exposure isn't an end in itself, if it isn't bringing new business through the door it's just burning money.

For mine its chicken and egg

Are we producing more content to justify the expense of doing it ourselves or did the outside expense stifle our desire for content? I see digital content as the future of media so I dont have an issue with it. I am interested in knowing which companies have invested in the ADM arm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something something Bite helps Crows expand into Asia

Subscription story on AdelaideNow

Minus the fluff you've read before,

The Crows have signed a key agreement with Major League Baseball which will enable some of Asia’s best young baseballers to train and play for the Bite.

Four teenagers aged from 16 to 18, accompanied by a Chinese coach, will travel to Adelaide this month to play in the new Adelaide Super League as well as train with the Bite. They will be available for Bite selection. Among the group is highly promising Bruce Wang Yang, who has signed with Philadelphia Phillies.

As part of the deal, two players from the Bite Academy and a coach will spend time at a MLB development centre in China.

The Bite are also establishing a tremendous Japanese presence with the Honda club sending four pitchers, two in the first half of this season and two in the second, to Adelaide. Ryo Joura starred for the Bite in his debut against Brisbane in December and he will return to the club.

There is also potential for Honda, which competes in the Industries League and attracts 50,000 fans to games, to train in Adelaide, while other Asian clubs are set to having spring training camps in SA. South Korea’s LG Twins has been mentioned.

Then there are the three Japanese university teams who will compete against each other and SA teams in the final week of November.

“We are already seeing the benefits of this with our initial dealings, whether they be in high performance initiatives, broadcast offerings or broader commercial negotiations.

“Importantly, we are also investing in the sport locally with improved game-day entertainment and activities”

MBL Asia general manager of baseball development Rick Dell said the agreement to send China’s best young players to the Bite was just the first stage of what will be a lasting relationship.

“It is creating pathways with the long-term hope of Adelaide becoming a centre of Chinese baseball development in Australia,” he said.

All eight Bite games against the Geelong-based Korean team will be shown live in Korea. The Crows are also on the verge of securing a contract to have Bite content streamed by leading Chinese tech company Tencent, providing the club with tremendous exposure

Would you think the goal would be to eventually have a city based training facility that also includes a baseball field for the Bite to play in the CBD?

they just move into their new place at West Beach, i dont think they will be moving anytime soon

Would you think the goal would be to eventually have a city based training facility that also includes a baseball field for the Bite to play in the CBD?

Neither are a major priority for the club at the moment. Football Park is still a great training facility, and as matty said the West Beach facility the Bite play at is only a couple of years old, and suits the Bite perfectly for now.

If we were looking for a new facility, it should be a suitable facility that can host AFLW matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back