Adelaide Logo Redesign: 2018

Which logo do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone, thanks for all the input so far. Based on poll results and discussion throughout the thread, these are the 3 most popular concepts. I appreciate that this may seem repetitive for some, but it's important that we have something that the vast majority can identify with and support.

As always, constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Option A - Navy crow matching shield colour.
Option B - Black crow
Option C - Navy crow darker than shield colour.

View attachment 477626

C for me too. I really like B but probably best to stay with our colours.
Great design, Thanks

Just an update of the 'Option C' Crow with smaller logos for when they are necessary.

View attachment 477877

I think what you've done is admirable. My only criticism would be that it feels a touch germanic. Nothing literal but all up it does have a sense of Deutsche heraldry about it.

I think the Crow is very good. My comment on that is that it is perhaps too much in the middle of stylised and illustrative, which makes it feel more generic than it actually is. I'd be kicking it one way or the other.

Type needs some work.

Are you a designer by any chance?

I think what you've done is admirable. My only criticism would be that it feels a touch germanic. Nothing literal but all up it does have a sense of Deutsche heraldry about it.

I think the Crow is very good. My comment on that is that it is perhaps too much in the middle of stylised and illustrative, which makes it feel more generic than it actually is. I'd be kicking it one way or the other.

Type needs some work.

Are you a designer by any chance?

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'm not too sure that having a 'germanic feel' is necessarily a bad thing, and I'm personally pretty happy with the lettering, as I think it's important to operate on a 'less is more' approach - could you give a bit more reasoning for your comment?

I see what you mean re. the Crow itself; it's very hard to get the balance right between the stylised and illustrative. I'm happy with this in comparison to what it was, keen to keep refining, though.

I wish! I'm just a guy who taught himself to use Illustrator... mostly because I was sick of the designs getting dished around in the AFL scene!

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

No problem. I'm a designer and have a strong interest in branding.

I'm not too sure that having a 'germanic feel' is necessarily a bad thing,

It's not that it's necessarily bad, but it wouldn't be a priority with what the brand needs to reflect. You could possibly mount a rationale about the German heritage of South Australia but it's not connected enough to the AFC to be meaningful.

Stylistically, german design is a pretty good benchmark to be following but I think there are other things that should be reflected within the AFC brand.

and I'm personally pretty happy with the lettering, as I think it's important to operate on a 'less is more' approach - could you give a bit more reasoning for your comment?

My thoughts on the type is that it doesn't match the level of quality that the rest of the logo has. It feels amateurish compared to the crow and the crest. (Nothing to be ashamed of, typography is hard and takes years to master.)

A friend of mine does a lot of sports branding http://sportsbranding.com.au/ and if you check out the type he uses, you'll see what I mean.

I would be working the type into the crest/shield shape a little more and (for the time being) removing the curves/wings so you can get a sense of how it would fit within the space you've allocated to it.

I'd possibly look at using a bolder typeface as well to begin with and adding minor embellishments once you've got it working.

I see what you mean re. the Crow itself; it's very hard to get the balance right between the stylised and illustrative. I'm happy with this in comparison to what it was, keen to keep refining, though.

My tip would be heading towards a more illustrative crow. Not too much different from what you've got, but with some subtle detail added. This would help remove the 'german' feel as well. (a stylised crow would start to look a little too much like the German eagle.)

I think the current head logo the Crows use is a poorly drawn copy of the Baltimore Raven's logo, which in itself is a poorly drawn logo, but there are examples out there of well crafted 'birds' in sports branding to take a lead from. Not copy, just get a sense of form, shading, outline etc)

I wish! I'm just a guy who taught himself to use Illustrator... mostly because I was sick of the designs getting dished around in the AFL scene!

What you've done is pretty impressive then.

I'd also add that I'm not wearing my Port supporter hat here, my comments and feedback are purely based on what I see and how I think you can improve them.

Look forward to watching the development.

It's not that it's necessarily bad, but it wouldn't be a priority with what the brand needs to reflect. You could possibly mount a rationale about the German heritage of South Australia but it's not connected enough to the AFC to be meaningful.

Stylistically, german design is a pretty good benchmark to be following but I think there are other things that should be reflected within the AFC brand.

My thoughts on the type is that it doesn't match the level of quality that the rest of the logo has. It feels amateurish compared to the crow and the crest. (Nothing to be ashamed of, typography is hard and takes years to master.)

A friend of mine does a lot of sports branding http://sportsbranding.com.au/ and if you check out the type he uses, you'll see what I mean.

I would be working the type into the crest/shield shape a little more and (for the time being) removing the curves/wings so you can get a sense of how it would fit within the space you've allocated to it.

I'd possibly look at using a bolder typeface as well to begin with and adding minor embellishments once you've got it working.

My tip would be heading towards a more illustrative crow. Not too much different from what you've got, but with some subtle detail added. This would help remove the 'german' feel as well. (a stylised crow would start to look a little too much like the German eagle.)

I think the current head logo the Crows use is a poorly drawn copy of the Baltimore Raven's logo, which in itself is a poorly drawn logo, but there are examples out there of well crafted 'birds' in sports branding to take a lead from. Not copy, just get a sense of form, shading, outline etc)

I'd also add that I'm not wearing my Port supporter hat here, my comments and feedback are purely based on what I see and how I think you can improve them.

Quality post.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the input so far. Based on poll results and discussion throughout the thread, these are the 3 most popular concepts. I appreciate that this may seem repetitive for some, but it's important that we have something that the vast majority can identify with and support.

As always, constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Option A - Navy crow matching shield colour.
Option B - Black crow
Option C - Navy crow darker than shield colour.

View attachment 477626
C, but something about the head of this crow just doesn't look right to me.
Our current logo is rubbish, but a replacement would need to be spot on.

That’s so useful - thanks heaps.

Hi Everyone, just an update on progress so far... it may seem like not much has changed, but there's been a lot of going back-and-forth between experimental ideas.
As always - open to constructive ideas and suggestions.

View attachment 484213
My not so constructive feedback is that it’s great. Personally I much prefer it with ‘Adelaide Football Club’ to ‘AFC’.

Looking at it on the hoodie in your post up the page it has a soccer feel to it. That’s not a bad thing, they tend to do logos pretty well.

I’m not adding a whole lot here, mostly just wanted to say great work. Cheers.

My not so constructive feedback is that it’s great. Personally I much prefer it with ‘Adelaide Football Club’ to ‘AFC’.

Looking at it on the hoodie in your post up the page it has a soccer feel to it. That’s not a bad thing, they tend to do logos pretty well.

I’m not adding a whole lot here, mostly just wanted to say great work. Cheers.
Thanks - much appreciated! I agree that the AFC logo isn’t as good; but (as others suggested) the club would need simplified logos for smaller spaces (like along the top of the AFL.com homepage).
I used the ‘AFC’ version of the logo for the hoodie due to the size of the original hoodie image that I had - can mock up some ‘full size’ examples to see what caps etc might look like...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks - much appreciated! I agree that the AFC logo isn’t as good; but (as others suggested) the club would need simplified logos for smaller spaces (like along the top of the AFL.com homepage).
I used the ‘AFC’ version of the logo for the hoodie due to the size of the original hoodie image that I had - can mock up some ‘full size’ examples to see what caps etc might look like...
Yeah, I understand the drive behind it and I think you’re on the right track. The thing is I reckon the logo you’ve come up with is strong enough to stand alone without text. Perhaps a more minimal (or even sans) shield.

A New Era cap with the bird only, for example, would look great. I think it would also stand up well for applications such as the afl website and other clothing items.

Yeah, I understand the drive behind it and I think you’re on the right track. The thing is I reckon the logo you’ve come up with is strong enough to stand alone without text. Perhaps a more minimal (or even sans) shield.

A New Era cap with the bird only, for example, would look great. I think it would also stand up well for applications such as the afl website and other clothing items.
Good idea - will give it a go!

Apologies for the dodgy 'texture integration', but here's a thought on how a minimalist approach could work (which I personally feel is far more appealing and is something that I would actually wear outside of gameday).
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 4.02.14 pm.png

My nearly 6 month old son got a Crows Footy from his Great Aunt yesterday...

It has a modern version of the old "Camry Crow" on it.

I wish we woukd use him more often.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Love the old Camry Crow - and the product that you have described is exactly where it belongs!

A slightly different take on things - dropping the tradition of the shield and 'Football Club' for a 'cleaner' look. Have given six examples, 3x light background, 3x dark.
Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 8.37.00 am.png

A slightly different take on things - dropping the tradition of the shield and 'Football Club' for a 'cleaner' look. Have given six examples, 3x light background, 3x dark.
Thoughts?

View attachment 487869

Respect what you’ve done - better than anything I could come up with - but it comes across as too passive for me. Crow looks crucified, or roadkill. I’d like something more dynamic.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that your progress so far is good and you're on the right path. I think the crow part of the logo is coming along well but feel like I needs some more depth or shading to it. Still looks a little to flat as others have mentioned. Take some inspiration from other bird related sporting logos floating around :)

Back