Adelaide, North Melbourne, Sydney, Hawthorn. Who would you rather be going forward and why???

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamsatma

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Going off information at hand I think it's quite clearly Sydney, have the best culture of the 4 (only one close is Hawthorn), a great coach, and are the only team of the 4 with a strong combination of experienced talent (JPK, Parker, Buddy), proven performers coming into their primes (heeney, papley), as well as promising elite young talent (mills, blakey, florent).

Compared with Hawthorn (good coach and culture, good mid-age and mature players, lacking young talent), Adelaide (unproven coach, poor culture, decent mid-range and mature talent, not a whole lot to write home about in terms of young talent), and North (unproven coach, poor recent culture, good mature talent and decent young talent, lacking in mid-aged talent).

Of course all these teams have a strong draft hand (esp. adelaide and north) so if they nail those picks it can turn it all around, but off the current situations it's sydney clearly

SammyRoo

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just saw Zuurhar won the goal kicking at North with 18 goals.

What's the bet when arguing with North supporters about their list, they use Zuurhar winning the goal kicking as an example of their bright youf without context

And what's the bet the first response will be a crack at Carlton?

I’m not quite sure what your point is?

Carlton‘s leading goal kicker is Harry McKay also on 18?

Just saw Zuurhar won the goal kicking at North with 18 goals.

What's the bet when arguing with North supporters about their list, they use Zuurhar winning the goal kicking as an example of their bright youf without context

And what's the bet the first response will be a crack at Carlton?

look at foucault over here with his truth claim

I would chuck Carlton in make it out of five.

Of course I would rather be the Bloods going forward and I am hopelessly biased. For example each of the five Clubs will have to dump a lot of players under the new list rules.

The process for us will be very painful with a number of good young players getting the chop. I expect some will find their way back on to lists (even if they are not ours). The Clubs I would least like to be are in order of misery are North, Carlton, Hawthorn and Adelaide.

North. By contrast I see North chopped 11 blokes today. Most are well known players but the reasons are pretty clear cut. Jacobs is unlucky by virtue of being busted up (terrific player). I would be shocked if any of the players would attract a moments interest from other Clubs. Poor recruiting over a number of years has cost North. Good on Shaw and his crew of starting the burn back. The road ahead for North is very long and not amenable to a quick fix. I think Shaw will prove a terrific coach.

Carlton. No-one over rates their list like the Blues (maybe the Dons are a close second). I expect they will be disappointed when they enter trade period and find little interest in players like SPS or Dow. They remain reliant on Cripps and Walsh in the mids and their depth is not great. I like Charley Curnow but sadly his knee issues seems chronic and we may never see the best of him. McKay is an average kpf.. Looking fwd 8-14 seems their natural place for the next few years.

Hawthorn. Best Coach in the Comp and (2nd worst Prez). Expect there will be a large clean out. Their list remains unbalanced with high paid imports (some of whom have been grand - Mitchell, Gunston, McEvoy, Burgoyne, O'Meara and others busts) and limited younger talent. They must hit the trade and then the draft hard. Their remains sufficient high end talent on that list to improve sharply.

Adelaide. I reckon Adelaide will bounce more swiftly than the other the three. They are well placed (salary cap, trade and pick wise) to trade in some talent and play on the go home factor themselves. The moving on of Burton and Pyke and appointment of Nicks has helped address the culture of the joint.

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Did Sydney begin their rebuild at the same time at the others?
Interesting how far ahead they are in their rebuild if so, having made a grand final before any of the others have even returned to the top 8.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Did Sydney begin their rebuild at the same time at the others?
Interesting how far ahead they are in their rebuild if so, having made a grand final before any of the others have even returned to the top 8.

North have been rebuilding since around 2015 from memory and I think the Swans began our rebuild in 2019, with Hawthorn perhaps beginning there's in around 2020. Hawthorn probably should have begun earlier but they threw all their eggs in one basket for a few years in an attempt to get another flag.

Sydney was the clear answer at the time, and it’s even more bizarre looking back at it now and seeing them in the comparison.

Adelaide ahead of Hawthorn based on this season, though I don’t particularly rate them. Wouldn’t surprise to see Hawthorn ahead as of next year. Though watch this get bumped if the Crows play finals and Hawthorn don’t.

North, miles behind at the moment.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney was the clear answer at the time, and it’s even more bizarre looking back at it now and seeing them in the comparison.

Adelaide ahead of Hawthorn based on this season, though I don’t particularly rate them. Wouldn’t surprise to see Hawthorn ahead as of next year. Though watch this get bumped if the Crows play finals and Hawthorn don’t.

North, miles behind at the moment.

It is crazy about North as Hawthorn, Adelaide and Sydney all began their rebuilds after North, and in theory had a longer way to go, and yet all three clubs have comprehensively overtaken North in their rebuilds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back