Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You reckon footy today would design a stadium with grass for spectators to stand or they would feel the need to keep a 100 year old scoreboard with no relevance for footy, they were kept for cricket = I think that is a compromise.

The grass is for cricket, non capacity crowds sitting on the grass in the sun is great. For footy in the winter with capacity crowds, not so great.

What happened to the old MCG scoreboard, how come they didn't keep it.

By your reasoning, football should have stayed at football park.

Yep will be at Adelaide Oval Sunday 1st May at 4:30pm (If we win of course)
Would've thought it would be 3.30pm your time (grand finals are usually 4pm AEST) but I hope you're right, if we host it I want it to be 5pm our time so I can go to the Lions game at 1.10pm and not have to make a mad rush to Lang Park

But if we have to play you guys there it would be the ultimate logistical nightmare for me as someone who is passionate about both the Lions and Roar
1) I haven't missed a Lions home game (or a Lions game in QLD) in five years
2) I've never missed a Roar grand final
3) I am already going to Adelaide the following weekend for Port away

I hope I don't live long enough to see that scoreboard moved.

I am however concerned that it may be in the way of a future O-bahn extension.

What a surprise that the crows fans have no interest in heritage.

Scoreboard must be pretty useless when you want to know how many runs are needed off how many balls. Or what the score is now not 30 seconds ago.

They should put a digital scoreboard over the area I've outlined in red:

adelaidescoreboard.jpg

Olden daye charm with modern usefulness.

Last edited:
Scoreboard must be pretty useless when you want to know how many runs are needed off how many balls. Or what the score is now not 30 seconds ago.

They should put a digital scoreboard over the area I've outlined in red:

adelaidescoreboard.jpg

Olden daye charm with modern usefulness.
Clearly you haven't noticed the numbers rolling through as the batsmen take their runs, or as soon as the goal umpires' flags are waved (when the score is official; interestingly if you watch the electronic scoreboard at a goal/behind the score doesn't change on them until the flags are waved either).
Literally, the batsman's total and the total score are correct within seconds of the ball being dead, umpires' signals pending.
If you want to know the rest of the information there's a massive giant screen just about the same size 10m to the west of that red square you drew. The information on there complements what is provided on the scoreboard. If you're at most other grounds and your mate calls and wants to know how many Klinger made today, you'd be lucky to time it with the full scorecard being on the screen so you know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then football can pay for a brand new stadium.

But they didn't.

They built a special purpose stadium at West Lakes w stands the whole way round, but it was terrible.
It wasn't terrible, it did get 40-45,000 every week to those Crows games in the 1990's, a great place to be during Modra mania & the Premiership years!
By the new century though, you knew Footy Park's time was thin, especially when games in Vic moved from Waverley to the Docklands, it made West Lakes stand out like a wort!

Last edited:
It wasn't terrible, it did get 40-45,000 every week to those Crows games in the 1990's, a great place to be during Modra mania & the Premiership years!
By the new century those, you knew Footy Park's time was thin, especially when games in Vic moved from Waverley to the Docklands, it made West Lakes stand out like a wort!

In the 1990's Football Park was one of the best stadiums in the country.

As ground rationalisation took place, Etihad replaced Waverley, other grounds got upgraded, Metricon and Spotless came on board, and nothing was done to Football Park bar the northern stand and new seats, it was left to slide down to one of the poorest in terms of spectator facilities.

You reckon footy today would design a stadium with grass for spectators to stand or they would feel the need to keep a 100 year old scoreboard with no relevance for footy, they were kept for cricket = I think that is a compromise.

The grass is for cricket, non capacity crowds sitting on the grass in the sun is great. For footy in the winter with capacity crowds, not so great.

What happened to the old MCG scoreboard, how come they didn't keep it.

That's too much of a compromise?

As ground rationalisation took place, Etihad replaced Waverley, other grounds got upgraded, Metricon and Spotless came on board, and nothing was done to Football Park bar the northern stand and new seats, it was left to slide down to one of the poorest in terms of spectator facilities.

Now Bruce it was always cold, the real Arctic Park.

Were you even around in the 1990's?

Hark back to a real cold day in the 70s when WA played SA there, the reigning Brownlow Medallist lead the WA ruck v SA big fella Rick Davies who gave Mossy a bath in the first half. Stephen Michael froze in the forward pocket with a kid Greg Phillips doing his best to keep him warm.
At half time the roasting I was getting in the crowd wasn't enough to raise a sweat.
After half time, Michael went into the ruck & Mossy went forward & kicked 7 in the second half, the joint was real cold.

If you can find a link Bruce pls post it - I cant find one at this point.

Seated capacity at Adelaide Oval is 50,000
West 14
South 14
East 19
North 3

Don't have a link but I remember the numbers from the build.
Not sure why they're not selling hill, I thought they'd done that for other Adelaide Utd games there.

Seated capacity at Adelaide Oval is 50,000
West 14
South 14
East 19
North 3

Don't have a link but I remember the numbers from the build.
Not sure why they're not selling hill, I thought they'd done that for other Adelaide Utd games there.
They had, I'm thinking they might have some amazing last minute announcement that they will sell tickets on the hill (the FFA wouldn't pass the opportunity to make money) so the rabble will have already bought their seated tickets which may cause less issues. Unless SApol have simply said don't even bother.

lol's. Footy park is and has always been a concrete jungle hell hole. Always freezing cold, difficult to get a park (sometimes you had to walk a good 2km from the ground to get a park if you drove, and it miles from anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back