Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Guy at work said there was a fight right next to him in the ground:thumbsdown: Security had to get involved.

Shame the redbacks couldn't win. Would've been a great double.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...lia&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"We don't see it as a major issue," Darren Chandler, General Manager Operations and Commercial, told The Huffington Post Australia.

"There's some minor damage to between 10 and 20 seats and that's the extent of it.

"With the 50,000 crowd and the grand final atmosphere and energetic supporters, we knew we'd have some minor damage. This is the only time this stadium has hosted a national grand final at this point in time, and the supporters at the venue were very, very emotional and enthusiastic.

"The soccer supporters do support their team differently."

The Adelaide Oval regularly hosts big-time AFL games which are often sold out, especially the local showdown between Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows. We asked Mr Chandler if those matches tended to generate a similar level of damage.

"Not in a concentrated area, no"

Chandler said venue hirers are responsible for damage, which means Football Federation Australia will have a bill on its hands. Whether it passes that bill onto the Wanderers is a question nobody could answer at this stage.

“We shouldn’t let the dumb actions of a few spoil what was a wonderful outpouring of emotion from both clubs,” South Australian Sports Minister Leon Bignell said on Adelaide radio station FiveAA breakfast.

"Ten thousand people came here, they pumped $5 million into our economy and let’s not let the dumb actions of a few spoil what was a wonderful trip to Adelaide for 10,00 Wanderers fans,” he said.

Anyone know what the state of the field is after the soccer game?
Is grass in good nick from the slide tackles? Not worn in areas due to high traffic?
After all the complaining the FFA did before the game, they should hope its in good state for this weekends football.

Anyone know what the state of the field is after the soccer game?
Is grass in good nick from the slide tackles? Not worn in areas due to high traffic?
After all the complaining the FFA did before the game, they should hope its in good state for this weekends football.
Football seems to be a lot friendlier on the turf than Aussie Rules.
The concern the FFA had was that 20-odd hours wouldn't be enough time for any damaged turf to be replaced and watered in between the AFL and A-League.
Coming from the A-League back to AFL there's a whole week for any recuperation, which is standard.
Due to the nature of Aussie Rules being a "run and carry" game not a soccer the ball along the ground game, the turf can be less of a carpet with no issues. The patchier/lumpier/etc a football pitch is, the harder it is to dribble the ball. There'll be no issues going from Football to Aussie Rules with a week in between.

Football seems to be a lot friendlier on the turf than Aussie Rules.
The concern the FFA had was that 20-odd hours wouldn't be enough time for any damaged turf to be replaced and watered in between the AFL and A-League.
Coming from the A-League back to AFL there's a whole week for any recuperation, which is standard.
Due to the nature of Aussie Rules being a "run and carry" game not a soccer the ball along the ground game, the turf can be less of a carpet with no issues. The patchier/lumpier/etc a football pitch is, the harder it is to dribble the ball. There'll be no issues going from Football to Aussie Rules with a week in between.

I dare say there are no empirical studies showing soccer is 'a lot friendlier on the turf' than footy.

But hey it gives the soccer people an excuse to hit out at the 'mindless bastards' at the AFL. Not to mention the little kids having a kick-to-kick after the game.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...l/news-story/40959ec587351832b0fecfb7126d676a

This is in todays paper... Would be great I think to see a rectangular stadium in the city next to AO... but would need more than just Adelaide United as a tenant... Would need to guaranteed Socceroos games, and possibly a contract with the NRL for either an Adelaide side, or 5-8 games played in Adelaide over a season. If built correctly, could also be used for NFL games, and marquee soccer games.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...l/news-story/40959ec587351832b0fecfb7126d676a

This is in todays paper... Would be great I think to see a rectangular stadium in the city next to AO... but would need more than just Adelaide United as a tenant... Would need to guaranteed Socceroos games, and possibly a contract with the NRL for either an Adelaide side, or 5-8 games played in Adelaide over a season. If built correctly, could also be used for NFL games, and marquee soccer games.

That'd be bloody awesome. :) even though it'd probably mean the demise of the GDV I'd be for it.

30k-35k stadium for football/soccer is needed in this city. Plus it'd create much needed jobs for the state.

We might even be able to get the Wallabies here for a test match. :)

Yep, and Adelaide United would be able to have the ground (United Stadium) as a home base and train there rather than out at lizbef. The ground could have a multilevel car park underneath for parking all year round.

The only downside is that the SMA would most likely get control of the stadium, and unless a deal can be brokered to have fair representation of soccer people on the board, I feel AUFC will get destroyed in a crap deal and be sent broke to leave an empty stadium.

Could you imagine a SOO at the ground! Game 3, 1all and the mighty Queenslanders get up over NSW!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be a case of "Build it and they will come"

Yep, and Adelaide United would be able to have the ground (United Stadium) as a home base and train there rather than out at lizbef. The ground could have a multilevel car park underneath for parking all year round.

The only downside is that the SMA would most likely get control of the stadium, and unless a deal can be brokered to have fair representation of soccer people on the board, I feel AUFC will get destroyed in a crap deal and be sent broke to leave an empty stadium.

Could you imagine a SOO at the ground! Game 3, 1all and the mighty Queenslanders get up over NSW!

Given Adelaide United have just moved out to Elizabeth, can't see them moving base to a fantasy city stadium anytime soon.

Also, if fantasy stadium goes under the control of the SMA, they'll get even less access to the ground for training than what they do currently at Coopers Stadium.

Personally, I think Adelaide United should focus on consistently selling out Coopers Stadium before getting sucked into some fantasy stadium talk.

Having said all that, if we get the nuclear waste dump up and running we could build it straight away!

Given Adelaide United have just moved out to Elizabeth, can't see them moving base to a fantasy city stadium anytime soon.

Also, if fantasy stadium goes under the control of the SMA, they'll get even less access to the ground for training than what they do currently at Coopers Stadium.

Personally, I think Adelaide United should focus on consistently selling out Coopers Stadium before getting sucked into some fantasy stadium talk.

Having said all that, if we get the nuclear waste dump up and running we could build it straight away!

Neither Port nor the Crows were consistently selling out Aami, but look what happens when you have a modern facility in the city...

Is there room for a 9-12k indoor arena where the current tennis 'stadium' is?
I'd love somewhere there for 36ers, Lightning, Thunderbirds and maybe even getting a minor atp250 Oz Open warmup tournament there.

I'd love somewhere there for 36ers, Lightning, Thunderbirds and maybe even getting a minor atp250 Oz Open warmup tournament there.

Has to happen in my opinion. For two reasons, one because it would be great but also Memorial Drive looks so tired.

I am surprised neither the Rugby League or Union have trialed a game at Adelaide Oval since the redevelopment . I know it is not a big market but I would of thought a one off game to at least test the market would be a good.

I am surprised neither the Rugby League or Union have trialed a game at Adelaide Oval since the redevelopment . I know it is not a big market but I would of thought a one off game to at least test the market would be a good.

IMO they haven't had a game there for three reasons... 1. Probably aren't a fan of playing on an oval, 2. The SMA and the AFL clubs are probably against it and 3. A crowd of 50k in a state that isn't a rugby state would put the NRL crowds of 10k for the other weekends games to shame and the NRL wouldn't want that.

Plenty of room. Memorial drive will go and the new indoor centre will facilitate tennis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back