Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Having analysed Adelaide home fixture in 2018, expecting hopefully at least 4 game have an attendance of 50,000 or greater, obviously depending on Adelaide and oppo's teams fortunes and the weather. Certainly our first 2 home games against Richmond and Collingwood should get that figure, hoping for over 53,000 against the tigers. Other possibilities are Carlton being there first game here against us and strong SA following, Melbourne and Geelong for the obvious reasons, certainly depends on the teams fortunes later in the year, Port a certainty if this time weather is permitting. Interesting our 3 home games we've played against west coast since 2014 we average 50,905 with our 3 crowds against being 49,470 (2014), 52,460 (2015, 2nd highest attendance in our history H/A) 50,785 (2016). It's a long shot but history said its possible.

Round two should be great, crows and tigs have had some great games in the past and this will takw it up another level

Round two should be great, crows and tigs have had some great games in the past and this will takw it up another level
Yep should full capacity game weather permitting of course, will be our 16th crowd over 50k at Adelaide Oval. Only had 5 crowds over 50k at AAMI in 24 seasons there.

Last edited:
Having analysed Adelaide home fixture in 2018, expecting hopefully at least 4 game have an attendance of 50,000 or greater, obviously depending on Adelaide and oppo's teams fortunes and the weather. Certainly our first 2 home games against Richmond and Collingwood should get that figure, hoping for over 53,000 against the tigers. Other possibilities are Carlton being there first game here against us and strong SA following, Melbourne and Geelong for the obvious reasons, certainly depends on the teams fortunes later in the year, Port a certainty if this time weather is permitting. Interesting our 3 home games we've played against west coast since 2014 we average 50,905 with our 3 crowds against being 49,470 (2014), 52,460 (2015, 2nd highest attendance in our history H/A) 50,785 (2016). It's a long shot but history said its possible.
I wouldn't be shocked if the showdown fails to make 50k
Saturday afternoon and twilight is terrible in sa.
Many in local footy can't make it.
I for one won't. My ticket will still be used, but I'm not sure every single one will.

I wouldn't be shocked if the showdown fails to make 50k
Saturday afternoon and twilight is terrible in sa.
Many in local footy can't make it.
I for one won't. My ticket will still be used, but I'm not sure every single one will.
Local footy knows in November and can move matches forward on those two Saturdays to play a bit earlier.

Local footy knows in November and can move matches forward on those two Saturdays to play a bit earlier.
Sanfl will do that
But will amatuer and country leagues?

Why would they bother? It's a sell out anyway..
Well dirtybird was saying they thought maybe it wouldn't be due to local/junior footy participation on Saturday arvos. So we're discussing that scenario in which it's *not* a sellout (which it isn't yet because tickets aren't even on sale).

Well dirtybird was saying they thought maybe it wouldn't be due to local/junior footy participation on Saturday arvos. So we're discussing that scenario in which it's *not* a sellout (which it isn't yet because tickets aren't even on sale).

Have we not had a Sat twilight at Adelaide Oval yet? I thought there was

There's no doubt it'll sell out as matchday tickets will sell.
But it'll be a higher % of no shows from members due to timeslot, no question.
Since I've moved to Adelaide in 2008, this will be the 2nd home showdown I've missed (along with 2015 as I was in Paris on the day)
Away showdowns? I can't recall when I started going to them. Will be the first I've missed since 2012 at least.

I'm sure there's others who would feel the same. If I wasn't going on a 4 week holiday which will encompass the west coast and Geelong games, I'd probably just take the day off of community footy, but I won't sacrifice 5-6 weeks in a season. 4 is already pushing it (who gets married in Europe in footy season :mad:)

Have we not had a Sat twilight at Adelaide Oval yet? I thought there was
Adelaide has played once and it's about 10% below their average Adelaide oval crowd.
Port Adelaide have played a plethora of them and are going at about 10% their average as well.

For a showdown, this'll mean we'd expect maybe 47k in this timeslot, but I think some of that 10% will make it work, but not all can or will try. I'd expect 49-50k rather than the 51-53k that we'd get outside of a Saturday afternoon/twilight game.

I wish they let the mcg monopolise Saturday afternoon footy and let gws/Gold Coast try and monopolise Saturday twilight.

When you look at historical stats in south Australia, friday and Saturday nights are the best for attendance, with a gap over Sunday's, then a gap over saturdays. Thursdays have a small sample size and are on bar with Sundays. HOWEVER there is that 37k outlier in pouring rain vs north. Ignore that, on par with Friday and Saturday, but there does seem to be a downturn coming. But that is off the sample size of 1 vs hawthorn this year.

Adelaide has played once and it's about 10% below their average Adelaide oval crowd.
Port Adelaide have played a plethora of them and are going at about 10% their average as well.

For a showdown, this'll mean we'd expect maybe 47k in this timeslot, but I think some of that 10% will make it work, but not all can or will try. I'd expect 49-50k rather than the 51-53k that we'd get outside of a Saturday afternoon/twilight game.

I wish they let the mcg monopolise Saturday afternoon footy and let gws/Gold Coast try and monopolise Saturday twilight.

When you look at historical stats in south Australia, friday and Saturday nights are the best for attendance, with a gap over Sunday's, then a gap over saturdays. Thursdays have a small sample size and are on bar with Sundays. HOWEVER there is that 37k outlier in pouring rain vs north. Ignore that, on par with Friday and Saturday, but there does seem to be a downturn coming. But that is off the sample size of 1 vs hawthorn this year.
We had 51,585 against port in 2016 on a early Saturday 1:10 bounce, i reckon that's a worse time slot than Saturday twilight. The first Showdown at Adelaide Oval was a Saturday twilight 50,397.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had 51,585 against port in 2016 on a early Saturday 1:10 bounce, i reckon that's a worse time slot than Saturday twilight. The first Showdown at Adelaide Oval was a Saturday twilight 50,397.
First match at AO wasn't exactly a "standard Sat twilight showdown though, was it?
1. It was in March, so still daylight savings. 4:40pm in DLS is effectively 3:40, probably about 3:10 when you take into account the amount of sunlight hours in late March. It was effectively an afternoon game.
2. It was in round 2, and the first game in Adelaide for either team that premiership season.
3. It was the first game at Adelaide Oval (Mk II).

All three of those factors influence the crowd numbers fairly significantly.

First match at AO wasn't exactly a "standard Sat twilight showdown though, was it?
1. It was in March, so still daylight savings. 4:40pm in DLS is effectively 3:40, probably about 3:10 when you take into account the amount of sunlight hours in late March. It was effectively an afternoon game.
2. It was in round 2, and the first game in Adelaide for either team that premiership season.
3. It was the first game at Adelaide Oval (Mk II).

All three of those factors influence the crowd numbers fairly significantly.
Showdowns a Showdown, people will turn up no matter what time slot.

2.7% increase in food and drink prices at the Adelaide Oval. Cost of a pint of beer now $9.40, food prices increased as well. Don't understand the reasoning for this, gouging fans again.

2.7% increase in food and drink prices at the Adelaide Oval. Cost of a pint of beer now $9.40, food prices increased as well. Don't understand the reasoning for this, gouging fans again.

They're citing increased costs - but they pocketed hundreds of thousands for the 3 AFL finals in September (which were unplanned events)

They're citing increased costs - but they pocketed hundreds of thousands for the 3 AFL finals in September (which were unplanned events)
4,086,858 people attended the ground since the redevelopment, Adelaide averaging 47,738 per game, 30 games with an attendance of 47,000 plus, weak excuse to jack up prices, and that just football only not mentioning other events.

Busy weekend for the groundstaff - they'll be thanking the cricketers for getting a result early yesterday!
One pitch tray out, one grass tray in, sight-screens away, goal and behind posts up, mow the grass, paint the pitch and advertising. Play the game. Grass trays out, pitches in, get ready for the Shield game and the Ashes Test.

The beauty of drop-in technology in a multi-sport stadium!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-10/pitch-perfect-adelaide-oval-facing-huge-test

Massive effort from the groundsmen transferring it from cricket to football overnight!

Meanwhile, a bit of a blunder on the scoreboard with ‘Unders’ being used instead of ‘Goals’.
The ground announcer has been saying it too. Not a bad thing in ways as it's more obvious what is what.

Bit of a low crowd (not the 30k they were talking about) but it's a bit warm and a weird time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back