Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
4,086,858 people attended the ground since the redevelopment, Adelaide averaging 47,738 per game, 30 games with an attendance of 47,000 plus, weak excuse to jack up prices, and that just football only not mentioning other events.

Not sure why people were complaining about spending $500M to redevelop the oval.
Its just about paid for itself.

Justinpa1

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2013
Salisbury Downs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Liverpool FC,49ers
Think the record crowd of 62,543 might br nudged on Sat & Sunday for the Test match, as we should get around 60,000 for each day if the last two d/n tests are anything to go by.

The test against NZ Two years ago, got crowds in the mid 40,000's and the top deck off the Eastern stand was basically empty. This will be full for the ASHES Test.

The SACA Alwys allow around 7-10,000 more people into the members than there are seats

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Think the record crowd of 62,543 might br nudged on Sat & Sunday for the Test match, as we should get around 60,000 for each day if the last two d/n tests are anything to go by.

The test against NZ Two years ago, got crowds in the mid 40,000's and the top deck off the Eastern stand was basically empty. This will be full for the ASHES Test.

The SACA Alwys allow around 7-10,000 more people into the members than there are seats
No chance, would be breaching occupation health and safety, ground can't cater that amount not to mention facilities and entry in and out.

Last edited:

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Post-redevelopment cricket record is 52,633 for the Strikers SF. Admittedly without a full Village Green. 53,817 vs Geelong this year biggest sport attendance.
I can see 50K + happening Saturday and Sunday but certainly not 60. There's not room for 7k extra in the Village Green. Especially when you then add people not in their seats going back there too.

Even with a 2pm start and gates at 12 it's gonna be an early start on Saturday to get in the queue for a sprint to reserve a good seat!

Nope. Firstly they pinch about 3,000 seats with the Tendulkar enhanced site screen with sheets over so much of the seats that aren't really needed as part of the site screen. And despite the fact the SACA love the village green out the back of the western stand, they will restrict the numbers to the legal limit. If they do go over it, they are not going to announce that real figure publicly and get fined. That's what happened Rd 22 1993 when the crows played collingwood and the winner made finals. The official crowd was about 48.9k right on the legal limit, but the true crowd was close to 54k.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
According to my SACA Member email the Village Green is licensed for 8,000 - and will be strictly monitored to that by having one entry/exit point.

Justinpa1

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2013
Salisbury Downs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Liverpool FC,49ers
I heard the SACA CEO, Brayshaw? Saying that there will be enormous crowds on Sat and Sun. He also said that NO SACA Member will be locked out and they will all get in. If this happens I can see the Crowd being in the high 50,000s. Even the local media this morning is saying they are xpecting 60,000 today.

Either way the all time Test match record of 50,962, 1933 Bodyline Test will be broken. Can't wait for 2pm!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard the SACA CEO, Brayshaw? Saying that there will be enormous crowds on Sat and Sun. He also said that NO SACA Member will be locked out and they will all get in. If this happens I can see the Crows being in the high 50,000s. Even the local media this morning is saying they are xpecting 60,000 today.

Either way the all time Test match record of 50,962, 1933 Bodyline Test will be broken. Can't wait for 2pm!!
If they are going to get 60k then there will be 8k in the village green for most of the day and not see much of the cricket. Plus people come and go during 7 hours unlike the footy so that also allows for the count to be above the max capacity figure and not upset authorities.

I made the mistake yesterday thinking people wanted to watch the majority of the test just like a footy game. There will be plenty who might get to watch a few overs. :)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Yeah it's pretty standard for some Members to not see a ball live the whole match. I don't understand them. I've already been glued to my seat for an hour!

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
We now have scores on the new LEDs at the northern end of both stands. I'm at midwicket so don't know if legible from the nosebleeds in the Riverbank Stand.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Even with the light towers still on the drinks-break Womens Ashes highlights video package and light show was pretty cool :)

Even with the light towers still on the drinks-break Womens Ashes highlights video package and light show was pretty cool :)
The crowd was 55,300 odd. Htp I know people come for only a few hours not watch every ball and 8,000 can be in the village green, but what did the biggest crowd look to you actually in their seats watching the game. I know there was a lot of stop start and people moved around but on TV in never looked more than 40k.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I thought there were about 40k for the first ball. Western stands were packed, Southern and Hill too, and Eastern top half of level 5 was the only place with a lot of visible seats.
Add 8k on the Green plus a few K in the Field of Flavours and throughout the bars etc and you're getting up there even at 2.00

If the weather is looking more promising tomorrow I think we'll see at least 55k again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back