Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
the $10 angus burgers they had there actually were reasonably priced and quality for what you'd expect.

The stall next to where they used to be has some kind of "gourmet" burgers but they're $15+.

Beyond India still in the area but just not great to eat at the footy IMO
The Argentinian and Burger Theory burgers where fantastic, but now we have no choice but to pay $12.50 for a rubbish SMA burger and $5.70 for cold SMA chips with fake (non Mitani) chicken salt, freaking ridiculous from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The Argentinian and Burger Theory burgers where fantastic, but now we have no choice but to pay $12.50 for a rubbish SMA burger and $5.70 for cold SMA chips with fake (non Mitani) chicken salt, freaking ridiculous from them.

Not quite - you also have the choice to BYO or not have anything.

I hate the use of "no choice" when it comes to food at stadiums, like it's mandatory that you buy lunch while you're there.

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC

I hate the use of "no choice" when it comes to food at stadiums, like it's mandatory that you buy lunch while you're there.
That’s true, I should have said if you chose to eat there.
Having great choice in food at the ground has become part of the going to the footy at Adelaide Oval experience, it’s a shame they’re cutting back the choices.

Geoffa32

Hall of Famer
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

I very rarely buy any food at AO.

Last weekend's Sunday night game did.nkt spend a cent there. Bkttle.kf water.going in then dinner after the game at T Chow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fizzler

#BarUp
Dec 26, 2013
Just refuelling ⛽
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
BOLTS, REN, OKC, WFC, LVB, STORM
Bring some potato chips and hot dogs in a thermos, there's always choice. I bring Hungry Jacks into Etihad when I go, there's always something around. If I'm watching a neutral game I'll even nick out at half time and pick up a Stunner meal. I've got no idea if there's a fast food place near AO since I'm from Melbourne, but I'm sure there's something around.

its been done

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Hot dogs in thermos, reminds me of that one South Sydney supporter who did just that at ANZ Stadium a few years ago

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I enjoy having something to eat at the game, like a few beers it's part of the experience for me. It's a shame the options are becoming fewer and fewer these days.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
17-odd thousand last night for the League on a cold night with risk of getting wet. Not a bad atmosphere considering. And another tight contest!

Also, how good does the field look without all the sponsors' logos painted on? Love.

Aussie_boy

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
What's everyone's thoughts on the Golf thingo they're doing? Seems interesting, shame I'm too embarrassed to Golf in front of people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
"Motel" kind of cheapens it, don't you think? :p

Personally I don't see the need but then again I'm an Adelaidian, and if it minimises the rediculous prices of the food and beer everyone is apparently forced to buy, then that's a good part.

Papa G

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sold on the idea of a multi purpose stadium next to or near the Oval, especially if controlled by the SMA. Why would all other sports want to hand control over to what is essentially a bunch SANFL/SACA cronies?

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Put this on the Port board but it also belongs here.

Wont work - as a significant revenue/profit earner for the owners.

They tried it at the Skydome in Toronto that opened in 1989 - was a last minute thing added on to the stadium a year out from completion, to help fund the $350m+ cost blowout for the first 50,000+ stadium with a working retractable roof and the hotel as a separate business was a flop. The Renaissance Hotel Group own it these days.

Rogers Communication group ended up buying the $600m stadium for about $25m in 2004 so based on that sort of cost base, they probably could make some money out of it, but they didn't purchase the hotel portion of the stadium and re named the Skydome the Rogers Centre.

Only benefit of having a 300+ room hotel with 70 rooms overlooking the field of play, was that in the first baseball season the hotel was completed to have guests able to watch play ie early in the 1990 season, a couple forgot that if they leaved the lights on, people could see into the room. They got bored with the game and started bonking and slowly the crowd and players - playing in an MLB game, can't remember who the Blue Jays were playing - started telling the people, players next to them to look up and everybody stopped to glance up to their room. Apparently a near capacity stadium gave the couple a standing ovation when they finished.

This story from one of the Toronto papers in 2012 looks back at 20+ years of incidents at the stadium.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/2012/09/16/skydome_hotel_scandals_over_the_years.html

It hasn’t happened in a while, but in the early and mid-’90s it had become something of a regular occurrence for couples to be seen having sex in the SkyDome Hotel windows while a game was being played, in full view of binocular-toting fans...........

Last edited:

Rob

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Seems like a weird thing to do given the rooms will face the other way.
There's **** tons of space around, so why build it into the stadium structure? Why not just build it next door?

MilitaryLC

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2018
On a dirt track.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Don't like it. I come from out of town to watch games and have two or three favourite accommodations within walking distance. Half the fun is walking to and from the game calling into a pub for beers and a feed on the way through. I'd never use that hotel for sure.

Aussie_boy

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Seems like a weird thing to do given the rooms will face the other way.
There's **** tons of space around, so why build it into the stadium structure? Why not just build it next door?
Parklands and Fig Trees probably.

Top Bottom