Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Went there last year when the Swans took on Port. That scoreboard is something special on that hill. I wish the SCG will bring back the old scoreboard whenever they choose to redevelop the O'Reilly Stand
20190810_123335.jpg

Last edited:
Yep I went over a few years back for a Showdown and stood on the hill. Fantastic, needs to stay

TBH I was in the get rid of the hill camp but am firmly in the keep the hill camp these days, it’s iconic.
Would rather the Western grandstand be redeveloped, it’s sub-par during the winter months IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Surely the next thing that needs to happen is to rebuild the Western Stand to replicate the 3-tiers in the Eastern stand.

There's an additional 5k capacity at least.

No. If you want grass and nostalgia then attend the SANFL and the WAFL etc.

All we need is another Lego land, 🍪 cutout stadium like Perth stadium, not. Docklands can be forgiven because the roof dictates everything. But not even that really: see Minute Maid Park in Houston.

If the AFL GF was held there they would probably build a temporary stand just like they did pre 1974 SANFL GF's played at AO but that was along the eastern wing. They would do that if Oz ever hosted a FIFA World Cup.

The legislation allows for temporary change but not a permanent change. Even if the government of the day pushed for it, the upper house would probably never allow it over the next 40 or 50 years. Think you have to go back to the early 1970's that the government of the day has had a majority in the upper house. Given the lease is for 80 years things won't permanently change before about 2060.

Adelaide Oval Redevelopment and Management Act 2011

Part 2—Adelaide Oval Core Area
4—Lease to be granted to Minister

(1) The Council must, at the request of the Minister, grant a lease to the Minister over all
of the Adelaide Oval Core Area, or any part of that area specified by the Minister.
(2) A lease must be granted by the Council under subsection (1) within 30 days after the
making of the request by the Minister (or such longer period as the Minister may
allow).
(3) Subject to this section, a lease under subsection (1)—
(a) must be for a term specified by the Minister (being a term of up to 80 years
including any right to an extension or renewal);
and
(b) will only be subject to such terms and conditions as the Minister may specify
after consultation with the Council.
(4) The Adelaide Oval Core Area must be used predominantly for the purposes of a
sporting facility (including related uses and with recreational, entertainment, social
and other uses being allowed on an ancillary or temporary basis from time to time).

(5) It will be taken to be a term of a lease under subsection (1) that the Minister must
ensure—

(a) that the area constituting the Adelaide Oval Core Area continues to be named
Adelaide Oval; and
(b) that the Adelaide Oval Scoreboard is maintained in good condition where it
stands
on the commencement of this Act; and
(c) that at least 1 200 square metres of grassed open space is kept at the northern
end of Adelaide Oval
(between the scoreboard and the western stands).

(6) However, subsection (5)(c) does not prevent the placing of a building or other
structure on any open space maintained for the purposes of that subsection—

(a) on a temporary basis for a period not exceeding 1 month; or
(b) on a temporary basis for the purposes of a special event or activity prescribed
by the regulations for the purposes of this paragraph.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL GF was held there they would probably build a temporary stand just like they did pre 1974 SANFL GF's played at AO but that was along the eastern wing. They would do that if Oz ever hosted a FIFA World Cup.

The legislation allows for temporary change but not a permanent change. Even if the government of the day pushed for it, the upper house would probably never allow it over the next 40 or 50 years. Think you have to go back to the early 1970's that the government of the day has had a majority in the upper house. Given the lease is for 80 years things won't permanently change before about 2060.

Adelaide Oval Redevelopment and Management Act 2011

Part 2—Adelaide Oval Core Area
4—Lease to be granted to Minister

(1) The Council must, at the request of the Minister, grant a lease to the Minister over all
of the Adelaide Oval Core Area, or any part of that area specified by the Minister.
(2) A lease must be granted by the Council under subsection (1) within 30 days after the
making of the request by the Minister (or such longer period as the Minister may
allow).
(3) Subject to this section, a lease under subsection (1)—
(a) must be for a term specified by the Minister (being a term of up to 80 years
including any right to an extension or renewal);
and
(b) will only be subject to such terms and conditions as the Minister may specify
after consultation with the Council.
(4) The Adelaide Oval Core Area must be used predominantly for the purposes of a
sporting facility (including related uses and with recreational, entertainment, social
and other uses being allowed on an ancillary or temporary basis from time to time).

(5) It will be taken to be a term of a lease under subsection (1) that the Minister must
ensure—

(a) that the area constituting the Adelaide Oval Core Area continues to be named
Adelaide Oval; and
(b) that the Adelaide Oval Scoreboard is maintained in good condition where it
stands
on the commencement of this Act; and
(c) that at least 1 200 square metres of grassed open space is kept at the northern
end of Adelaide Oval
(between the scoreboard and the western stands).

(6) However, subsection (5)(c) does not prevent the placing of a building or other
structure on any open space maintained for the purposes of that subsection—

(a) on a temporary basis for a period not exceeding 1 month; or
(b) on a temporary basis for the purposes of a special event or activity prescribed
by the regulations for the purposes of this paragraph.

The City of Adelaide owns the land? Who leased the land b4 2011?

I am sure you can help.

And we can't have both because?

Nostalgia - great if you're talking about returning the drop kick.
Grass - I much prefer the setup at Perth Stadium for viewing, comfort and facilities.
Grassed areas just advertise the fact that a sport cannot pull the fans in through the gate.

Grass - I much prefer the setup at Perth Stadium for viewing, comfort and facilities.
Grassed areas just advertise the fact that a sport cannot pull the fans in through the gate.

and your posts advertise that you haven't been to Adelaide Oval

and your posts advertise that you haven't been to Adelaide Oval

Why, because I don't get excited about ancient and *ed cricket grounds?
It was great when Subiaco built stands over it's embankments.
It was great when the SCG got rid of the hill and that joke of stand behind it.
I saw nothing redeeming in the old Adelaide Oval - they should have finished the job.
Yes there are some soul-less concrete stadiums, but is anyone wanting to devolve the MCG into grass?

so you haven't been to Adelaide Oval

Are you comprehension challenged or something?
Do you actually believe that everybody who disagrees with you hasn't been to Adelaide Oval?
I HAVE BEEN MANY TIMES TO ADELAIDE OVAL FOR BOTH FOOTBALL AND CRICKET.
Just in case you sight challenged as well.

ok calm down mate

if you re-read your last post, you don't actually say that you had been to Adelaide Oval, and considering my previous post questioned that, I took that to mean you hadn't

I don't think you can have a go at someone 'not comprehending' your post when you didn't explicitly mention what you think I was supposed to have comprehended

I guess we'll agree to disagree but I think Adelaide Oval is great as it is

Or advertise the fact that - especially for day-long sessions of cricket - not everyone wants or needs to be in a plastic bucket seat in a granstand.

Or advertise the fact that - especially for day-long sessions of cricket - not everyone wants or needs to be in a plastic bucket seat in a granstand.

1. Day long cricket matches aren't popular anymore and could/should be played on a cricket oval.
2. When the decision was made to share football/cricket you have to expect compromise.

The WACA wanted NO part in the new Perth Stadium and it was built without cricket in mind.
There was the option to build a new oval in Adelaide for football but it was declined.

1. Day long cricket matches aren't popular anymore and could/should be played on a cricket oval.
2. When the decision was made to share football/cricket you have to expect compromise.

The WACA wanted NO part in the new Perth Stadium and it was built without cricket in mind.
There was the option to build a new oval in Adelaide for football but it was declined.
I bolded the word that covers keeping the hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back