Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Mask will be needed at all times except when youre at your seat.

Game is fully ticketed, but I'm not sure you'll have a choice for seats. If you do.

Adelaide Oval Map | (ticketmaster.com)

That's the map.

If I had a preference

1. Category 2 Eastern Stand (Best views, good facilities)
2. Category 1 (above average views, average facilities)
3. Category 2 Southern Stand (average views, amazing facilities)

daylight

4. Western Stand 200 level (Good view, not too far from facilities)
5. Category 3
6. Western Stand 100 level (Average view, same facilities as 200 level at 4)
7. Category 5
8a. Category 6
8b. Category 7 (Would be with 7a, but it's more exposed to the elements)

daylight

9a. Western Stand 300 level (Great view, but if you want any food or drink beyond something at the bar and bar snacks, you're heading down to the 100 level, and all escalators are up only before and during the game)
9b. Western Stand 400 level (Amazing view, but not only is it the same as above, you have to take a flight of stairs to even get the bar. There is nothing up here at all.)

Didnt want to interrupt either of the footy club sites:

Here is the guts of the article (imho), but there's more if you go to the link.

Agency audit reports published by the auditor general on Thursday show the Stadium Management Authority’s trading revenue declined from $55.7m in the year to October 2020 to $53.2m in the year to October 2021.

The revenue decrease saw the SMA take a $6.5m financial loss from trading activity in 2021, prior to receiving stakeholder contributions of $3.8m from the SANFL and SACA.

“Trading income decreased by $2.5 million to $53.2 million due mainly to a reduction in Commonwealth JobKeeper subsidies of $10.9 million,” the report states.
But he also said the JobKeeper withdrawal was “partially offset by reduced staffing costs of $8.1 million for staff stood down”.

A spokesperson for the SMA said the 2021 result was “in line with our forecast budget expectations” and attributed the financial loss to the ongoing maintenance costs of the Oval.

Visited about 5 years ago for the first time (off season) and had a good wander around. I've visited loads of stadiums in the UK and can honestly say I loved the Adelaide Oval, a very special stadium. I got to see a game here a year later.

Im scared at how Adelaide Oval will be perceived when we host gather round.

At the end of the 2021 season, the SMA and Adelaide Oval made some changes to the bars and how to pay.

Before then, they'd have 4-6 behind the bar taking orders and serving the drinks. Then once you have your drinks, you'd turn around and pay at the till (2-3 staff manning 2 tills each to keep it flowing). Food stalls are still like this (Well, only get 1 till each for this)

However, in 2021 they put everyone behind the bar, and it'd be, order, pay, serve, go.

Lets just say it's been an unmitigated disaster.

Before the change (I first noticed it at the beginning of 2022, and speaking to staff, they said they did it for the final few games in 2021) things would run smoothly. I sit in Bay 536. Row B. Siren goes, I walk past 12 people, walk back the 5 rows to the gate, get to the concourse, right in the line. Served in 2 minutes tops. Back in your seat before the break is done.

But now. Lets just say this, 38k on the weekend. I went 2 minutes before 1/4 time. And I didn't get back until 3 minutes into the 2nd. 10 minutes to do that. When previously it'd be 3 minutes. (Maybe 5 for a 50k crowd)

Last year at the showdown, the guys sitting infront of me went to the bar halfway through the first and didnt get back till halfway through the second. 30-40 minute wait for alcohol.

They decided to cut costs. And it got rid of an amazingly run system and turned it into an unmitigated disaster, and it's going to be embarrassing putting this service up to display. It MIGHT be OKAY for all games bar Carlton-Adelaide (the double headers Sat/Sun MIGHT mean it's never full, and I dont believe Friday night is sold out yet) though. But either way, the changes have been for the worse.

I used to get 2 beers each break (inc. pre-game) so 8 in a game.
Well, now it's at the point, I wont ever waste my time at half time. And if the crowd's too big, I won't go at 1/4 or 3/4 time. The people infront of me in the line at 1/4 time. They were standing on the hill. Left the hill for beer (The bar on the hill is mid strength only). First bar, line's too long, went to the next bar, line's too long (surprised me, historically this one was good), went to the main bar near the entrance gate, someone told them 20minute wait. They went up the escalators to the top level (my bar) and still had to wait 10 minutes.

It's complete and utter bs.

They made a change for the worse, have stuck to it, and I expect it's going to sour the experience to many.

Weren't there issues with the EFTPOS machines on Saturday, that made the situation worse?

it was bad, one food outlet near our section didnt open until part way through the 1st qtr, all the food would have been sitting there for close to an hour before they opened, we were lucky enough to get beers before it went to s**t, didnt get anymore for the game, too much time and effort

it was bad, one food outlet near our section didnt open until part way through the 1st qtr, all the food would have been sitting there for close to an hour before they opened, we were lucky enough to get beers before it went to s**t, didnt get anymore for the game, too much time and effort
And then worst of all is when you need the loo right when the quarter ends, it becomes a massive zoo in there :huh:

i always make sure i go a couple minutes before the qtr ends
Still can get quite busy even then tbh, don’t know how you Crows and Power supporters do it when a big Victorian club comes to town at Adelaide Oval and it gets close to a sell out, surprised you can get out of there alive 😅

Im scared at how Adelaide Oval will be perceived when we host gather round.

At the end of the 2021 season, the SMA and Adelaide Oval made some changes to the bars and how to pay.

Before then, they'd have 4-6 behind the bar taking orders and serving the drinks. Then once you have your drinks, you'd turn around and pay at the till (2-3 staff manning 2 tills each to keep it flowing). Food stalls are still like this (Well, only get 1 till each for this)

However, in 2021 they put everyone behind the bar, and it'd be, order, pay, serve, go.

Lets just say it's been an unmitigated disaster.

Before the change (I first noticed it at the beginning of 2022, and speaking to staff, they said they did it for the final few games in 2021) things would run smoothly. I sit in Bay 536. Row B. Siren goes, I walk past 12 people, walk back the 5 rows to the gate, get to the concourse, right in the line. Served in 2 minutes tops. Back in your seat before the break is done.

But now. Lets just say this, 38k on the weekend. I went 2 minutes before 1/4 time. And I didn't get back until 3 minutes into the 2nd. 10 minutes to do that. When previously it'd be 3 minutes. (Maybe 5 for a 50k crowd)

Last year at the showdown, the guys sitting infront of me went to the bar halfway through the first and didnt get back till halfway through the second. 30-40 minute wait for alcohol.

They decided to cut costs. And it got rid of an amazingly run system and turned it into an unmitigated disaster, and it's going to be embarrassing putting this service up to display. It MIGHT be OKAY for all games bar Carlton-Adelaide (the double headers Sat/Sun MIGHT mean it's never full, and I dont believe Friday night is sold out yet) though. But either way, the changes have been for the worse.

I used to get 2 beers each break (inc. pre-game) so 8 in a game.
Well, now it's at the point, I wont ever waste my time at half time. And if the crowd's too big, I won't go at 1/4 or 3/4 time. The people infront of me in the line at 1/4 time. They were standing on the hill. Left the hill for beer (The bar on the hill is mid strength only). First bar, line's too long, went to the next bar, line's too long (surprised me, historically this one was good), went to the main bar near the entrance gate, someone told them 20minute wait. They went up the escalators to the top level (my bar) and still had to wait 10 minutes.

It's complete and utter bs.

They made a change for the worse, have stuck to it, and I expect it's going to sour the experience to many.
I was going to AO regularly from the first game to 2017 and then have attended a few games since when coming back from o/s - it has been like that at most bars since the beginning. Food is different. I think in the Western stand it was different because that was built for the cricket not for Footy.

I was going to AO regularly from the first game to 2017 and then have attended a few games since when coming back from o/s - it has been like that at most bars since the beginning. Food is different. I think in the Western stand it was different because that was built for the cricket not for Footy.
agree.

drink service has always been slow. never understood why not the pour 4 beers at a time set up they have at the G

Food has declined year on year. Not only in the West, used to be some good food vans near the hill and even some small carts scattered around that were better than the inbuilt ones. year by year they got less and less

agree.

drink service has always been slow. never understood why not the pour 4 beers at a time set up they have at the G

Food has declined year on year. Not only in the West, used to be some good food vans near the hill and even some small carts scattered around that were better than the inbuilt ones. year by year they got less and less
Here in Ireland they have 2 levels, the back level is up higher and they're just pouring beers (guinness takes time you see) and then the front people serve you, you pay on card while they turn around and ferry beer to you. Generally quick

agree.

I think Adelaide Oval realised the food trucks were getting more business than their in house slop and quickly put an end to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree.

MCG is so good, it's almost awkward how quick it is

agree.

The bar on Level 5 of the Riverbank Stand have those Andale multi beer pourers but do not use them, it’s madness, you’ll miss nearly a quarter easy on average waiting for a drink at that bar.
The MCG and Marvel meanwhile you’re in and and out. I can’t believe how bad it’s gotten at AO so quickly. All the good food trucks gone, replaced with subpar in-house food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

At first, I thought it was great that the SMA (ie cricket and football) was running the ground themselves, thinking that the money raised would go back into grassroots footy/cricket and what not (as opposed to Optus Stadium which has a opposed to a professional venue operator (ala VenuesLive).

Now you wonder whether someone like VenuesLive would be better running the stadium.

The food options have actually increased drastically this year.

The new menus are actually good. The Burger looked amazing on Saturday, but I went the hot dog instead. And the chips were nice.

Food wise. It's probably the best it's ever been.

My issue is the drinks side of things. I dont think the 5 main bars (Scoreboard, Ground level East, Top level South, Mid level West, Mid level south) have changed however, all the outlets have taken steps backwards.

just take my closest bar (top level East). In the past you'd enter and have 4 people serving (plus 1 or 2 others running around filling the wine/jim bean etc. behind the bar, the soft drinks you can grab, changing kegs etc.) they give you your drinks, then you turn around and there's 2 people on checkout. And they'd be quite adept at using 2 registers at once. So you can be in and out in 5 minutes.

But now they put everyone behind the bar, and you order, pay, then that person does the drinks. It's slowing efficiency massively I've found. To the point that if you get there the second the break ends, it could be 10-15 minute wait.

BUT - Having said that. When have I been in the west stand? 2019 aflw GF. Well, lol. SMA expected a crowd of 20k, not 55k. Not fair to judge. a few 35k (and under) crowds (covid years, port-gws last year and some sanfl finals) well. Wasn't high demand, and it was fine then. Then the last 2 Port showdowns. Yeah, 50k, Was poor. But those stands were build for Cricket, different culture (go whenever and miss an over) not footy (3 rushes).

My issues are the East stand, but just thinking, there's 4 bars upstairs, 2 (opposite each other behind 536.......or was it 537) are always open, with 2 food/bar mixes further down. They're normally shut due to crowds dropping post covid. Maybe with the crowds larger (expecting 50k for at least 2 of the days of Gather round) they're all open and it actually works?

Idk. Will be interesting. But I'm scared it'll be an unmitigated disaster.

Last edited:
Didn't check food options this weekend.

But the drinks system is an absolute shitshow and a joke. Especially considering they actually have the bars set up for an efficient system technically in the Western Stand. I reckon I went for a piss and a beer at the 22/23 min mark of the 2nd qtr, and got back halfway through halftime. Complete disgrace if we're being real about it.

I think crocs are the least of your worries with the Torrens 😂
I think the Victorians have already acclimatised to water quality that bad with their experiences with the Yarra.

Hi all!

I need help. Booked the flight and accommodation for the Gather Round but did not realise that all tickets are sold except Pepsi Collective.

It looks like it's in a fancy section with all the hip people. I'm a middle muddle aged man who isn't hip anymore. Is that section still good to watch actual footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back