Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I

I hope you are right that no deals have been signed for the long term but question your claim.

IF you are relying on the AFL, I'm nervous - the SACA thru McLachlan led Andy D into the deal & I doubt the AFL have any role in SMA decisions unlike the SACA, unlike the SANFL - hope I'm wrong Stewie ...
The SMA is basically the SANFL who've been ripping off Port and the Crows for years. Both deals were only short term and are being reviewed in July by the AFL. Would rather rely on the AFL than the $MA to get a better deal done, but with the $MA old boys club in the way it appears unlikely.

The SMA is basically the SANFL who've been ripping off Port and the Crows for years. Both deals were only short term and are being reviewed in July by the AFL. Would rather rely on the AFL than the $MA to get a better deal done, but with the $MA old boys club in the way it appears unlikely.

Who is right Stewie, you or an ex politician - you looking good to me Stewie !

“Opening a stadium does not cost nothing,” SMA chairman and SANFL president John Olsen told The Advertiser on Friday.

The SMA is currently taking $2.22 from every AFL ticket sold at the Oval to cover match-day costs.
This is 31 per cent more than the $1.69 average fee at Football Park last season.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...at-adelaide-oval/story-e6frg1xu-1226929173053

they also never show live games against the gate as well.

but what is interesting they do have several 100k plus seat stadiums but from my understanding they are mainly used for college football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._stadiums_by_capacity
many of those NFL clubs have billion dollar turn overs as well

See my post above about the difference between "seats" at college stadia and actual seats at NFL stadia.

Put those benches in at Jerry world, Metlife, and Fedex and those places are 100,000 seaters.

Is it only me or does anyone else think the chips are reasonable value? They are the biggest chips I have seen in any stadium and $5 is pretty good
Yeah thought everything was a good value to be honest, food and bars were working so well to never waited more then a minute (was probably even less then this) for food or beers.

I

I hope you are right that no deals have been signed for the long term but question your claim.

IF you are relying on the AFL, I'm nervous - the SACA thru McLachlan led Andy D into the deal & I doubt the AFL have any role in SMA decisions unlike the SACA, unlike the SANFL - hope I'm wrong Stewie ...

KT seemed confident saturday night that everything will be sorted out... In KT we trust!

After today's attendance of 49,069 Crows v GCS, 12:40pm start, in cool, wet conditions against a team with no supporters, Adelaide Oval is the most popular stadium in Australia. When you look at other attendances in the AFL, they are all down.

Compare the three other games today, all similar games to AO, home team vs team with virtually no travelling supporters, MCG 17,000 Hawks v GWS, Etihad 14,000 StK v Freo, AO 49,063. I know it's a new stadium but when you compare it to last year, the crowds have been amazing. In 5 games each, the Crows are averaging 47,106 (33,000 2013) and Port 44,820 (29,000 2013).

Top Crowds this year @ Adelaide Oval -
Showdown Port d Crows 50,397 (biggest showdown crowd since 2003)
Swans d Crows 47,426 (record crowd in SA Crows v Swans)
Crows d GWS 44,770 (Easter Sunday,12:40,GWS biggest ever crowd)
Melb d Crows 44,216
Port d Cats 47,007 (at this point Ports biggest non showdown crowd)
Crows d Magpies 50,051 (record crowd in SA Crows v Pies)
Port d Hawks 52,233 (record AFL Crowd in SA)
Crows d Suns 49,063 (record crowd for GCS)

I was surprised the crowd number was so high. It looked like there were significantly more empty seats than any other game this season.

I was surprised the crowd number was so high. It looked like there were significantly more empty seats than any other game this season.

That's a smidgen misleading IMO. There are always people 3-5 deep standing at the back of ground level from the SW pocket, right around to the NE pocket. I often stand around those areas, my seat is empty on TV though. Then add in all those going to the toilet, lingering at the bar or getting food or coffee.

Was GA more packed than usual? Hard to really tell on TV. If it was, that might be because of the boundary line membership free tickets to the Suns game. I presume these tickets were GA entry

There's at least 5 teams in college football (Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Alabama and Texas) who all play in 100k seat stadiums. Michigan keep adding slightly more and more each season, I think they have a capacity of about 112k atm.

But colleges don't have the expenses of the NFL, while a lot of these schools still get the huge income from tv rights. So forcing huge profits from corporate facilities isn't a necessity.
Some of those stadiums look quite pathetic. US Collegiate and High school stadiums shouldn't normally be included in World Stadia discussions. It's like including Janet and John books with the works of Dickens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was GA more packed than usual? Hard to really tell on TV. If it was, that might be because of the boundary line membership free tickets to the Suns game. I presume these tickets were GA entry
Maybe it was - that's all I can think of. From where I was sitting there appeared to be quite a few empty seats at the top of the Southern Stand.

Some of those stadiums look quite pathetic. US Collegiate and High school stadiums shouldn't normally be included in World Stadia discussions. It's like including Janet and John books with the works of Dickens.

Some folk go to games for the sport, not the experience. There was a time when I enjoyed standing up for the whole game.

Maybe it was - that's all I can think of. From where I was sitting there appeared to be quite a few empty seats at the top of the Southern Stand.
From my view in the Eastern stand, the Hill looked as packed as it was for the Pies game, so I think there may have been a lot of Boundary Members who took up the offer of a free ticket, as GA tickets are only available for the Hill for Adelaide Games.

booked flights to go over from Melbourne for the Port v Sydney game. Motivation was just to see the stadium. Well pumped.

"Seats" at penn state
beaver-stadium-ncaaf-EE-800x600.jpg

Your point is valid, but that doesn't look like Beaver Stadium, at least in its current form.

Beaver-Stadium.jpg

Your point is valid, but that doesn't look like Beaver Stadium, at least in its current form.

Beaver-Stadium.jpg
Actually, I think it is. It seems to be focusing on just the long side stand.

Look at the top stand in your photo.
Flat, 1 level, media box, indents to the side with light towers. Those bays have the walkway going at an angle at the top.
Looks the same actually.

Having said, that, the media boxes are different sizes on the differing sides. I think it's the bottom stand of your photo now. Media box is the right size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back