Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
ADELAIDE OVAL

91ca86b9c928310021c6f143e696a8ae

Opened: 1871​

Owner: South Australian Government​

Operator: Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority​

First Hosted AFL Matches: 2014 (One-off match in 2011)​

Capacity: 50,000 seated, plus standing room (after 2011-14 redevelopment)

Record Crowd (AFL): 53,817 - Adelaide v Geelong, Preliminary Final 2017​

Record Crowd (SANFL): 62,543 - Port Adelaide v Sturt, Grand Final 1965​

Last edited:
Really looking forward to the AFL coming to this ground in 2014. Come hell or high water, I'll be there for the Crows first game!

Unlike most of the other stadium threads, this is a great opportunity to follow the progress of the redevelopment of this historic venue into a multi-purpose sports ground.

Can't wait!

I just wished they weren't removing the wicket.

As a non-Cricket fan, I couldn't really care less. But i definately understand cricket lovers wanting it to stay. I'd also prefer the whole stadium was enclosed with no hill but again, for this redevelopment to happen it has to please both parties so I'm more than happy with the compromise set.

Realistically though, the Gabba has lots of problems with a hard centre wicket area, and it is only used every second week. A drop in pitch is the only answer.

As a non-Cricket fan, I couldn't really care less. But i definately understand cricket lovers wanting it to stay. I'd also prefer the whole stadium was enclosed with no hill but again, for this redevelopment to happen it has to please both parties so I'm more than happy with the compromise set.

Realistically though, the Gabba has lots of problems with a hard centre wicket area, and it is only used every second week. A drop in pitch is the only answer.

What are the problems with the Gabba?

Football is played on the Gabba, the SCG, Bellerive and Manuka without dropins and historically has being played at Adelaide, the WACA and the MCG without dropins.

What are the problems with the Gabba?

Football is played on the Gabba, the SCG, Bellerive and Manuka without dropins and historically has being played at Adelaide, the WACA and the MCG without dropins.

I thought the Gabba was the only AFL venue still persisting with the wicket area?? I recall this year there being a large media hoo-hah about how players are complaining/getting injured because its so hard in the centre of the Gabba and that they should follow the lead of everyone else and switch to drop-ins.

I know historically lots of venues have kept it, but the game is now so much more professional than it used to be, so anything that can help prevent injuries and prolong careers should be done. If that means drop-in pitches then so be it.

My opinion of course, slightly biased as it might be with my dislike of cricket.

I thought the Gabba was the only AFL venue still persisting with the wicket area?? I recall this year there being a large media hoo-hah about how players are complaining/getting injured because its so hard in the centre of the Gabba and that they should follow the lead of everyone else and switch to drop-ins.

I know historically lots of venues have kept it, but the game is now so much more professional than it used to be, so anything that can help prevent injuries and prolong careers should be done. If that means drop-in pitches then so be it.

My opinion of course, slightly biased as it might be with my dislike of cricket.

The SCG still has a wicket.

Look at the drawing and then one of metricon or skoda stadium.

Thers no way that stadium in the drawing holds another 30,000 people - its over double the size (in capacity)

Thers no way that stadium in the drawing holds another 30,000 people - its over double the size (in capacity)

Metricon and Skoda have only two seating tiers, whereas Adelaide Oval has three tiers. That alone will make up a substantial amount of numbers. Then if you factor in the top level extending further back incorporating more rows and therefore more seats, its easy to see how AO can fit 50K.

The current Bradman Stand at the southern end holds about 3,000 people, the Chappell stands would be lucky to hold 8,000 people, the 2 new stands replacing them dwarf what is currently in place.

I just wished they weren't removing the wicket.

Yes, lets keep the lifeless flat track wicket that only produced results because the Australian team had 2 of the best bowlers of all time in Warne & McGrath. :rolleyes: A drop in pitch would improve the cricket at Adelaide Oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those 3rd tiers you can see are very small, but lets be generous and say two sides are etihad like

Etihad is 50k but AO has a quarter missing.

That means the remaining stand is close to 20k for a quarter of the ground - almost MCG sized - you dont get thet impression from the graphic

Heres some images on what it will look like. The first picture shown by the OP was the first design concept and not the one being used.

696505-adelaide-oval.jpg

089789-new-adelaide-oval.jpg

15_popup_large1.jpg

outside the southern stand

303531-oval.jpg

view from the hill

16_popup_large2.jpg

Inside the eastern stand

797977-adelaide-oval-model.jpg

Scaled model minus the roof

batch1285649213_beststadiumdesign.jpg

How the two new stands will designed

62_east_nth_wide_cropped.jpg

Back of the eastern stand

I'm definitely envious of South Australians. The ground looks fantastic, and from what I understand, it's central.

The thing I like most about the new Adelaide Oval is the blend of old and new. How many press releases say that something will merge modernity with history? And a lot of the time, it simply isn't the case. Adelaide Oval certainly looks like it will.

From the outside, and a birds eye perspective, the ground conforms to the current trend in Australian stadia. Skoda and Metricon share the horseshoe design. That's no detriment toward AA. It's extremely functional and pleasing to the eye. Inside, it's obviously going to be world class.

Yet if you check out the grandstands from the inside, they each have an identity. A lot of people don't like "mega bowl" structures. There's still distinction in each area of the ground. And by utilising a shared design element for all the roofs, nothing looks uneven.

Of course, maintaining the hill keeps some identity.

I'd love to check it out when it's finished.

Those 3rd tiers you can see are very small, but lets be generous and say two sides are etihad like

Etihad is 50k but AO has a quarter missing.

That means the remaining stand is close to 20k for a quarter of the ground - almost MCG sized - you dont get thet impression from the graphic

I have been thinking the same. The new Members stand holds only 14k. The new Southern grandstand would have to be less than that, so the new Eastern stand must be well over 25k. :confused:

I have been thinking the same. The new Members stand holds only 14k. The new Southern grandstand would have to be less than that, so the new Eastern stand must be well over 25k. :confused:

Stadium capacity

The proposed design of the new Adelaide Oval incorporates a seating capacity of 50,000. The new southern and eastern stands will seat about 14,000 and 19,000 respectively.

All the info on the development is in this site
http://www.adelaideovalredevelopment.com.au/

Round 1 2014 showdown tickets will be snapped up in minutes. What would bring even more to the game would be if the stadium is not completed until just before football season, meaning cricket doesn't see the ground at 100% completition. Either way it's going to be a very special match, the biggest showdown ever - bigger than the first one and the 2005 final. It's the dawn of a new era in SA Football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back