Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The stadium was built with FIFA WC requirements as part of the design with the northern end having to be shutdown or temporary stands having to be built if a WC game was played there.

That sounds like rubbish. The MCG is wider fence to fence than Adelaide Oval for the way a soccer game is set up at both stadiums and they were accepted in the bid document in December 2010. The technical specifications haven't changed that much otherwise every Olympic stadium that has a track around it or any major stadium with a track around it and hasn't been modified, is ineligible for the WC games.
Article qoute
"it's understood the venue doesn't meet FIFA's VIP facility requirements and parts of the stadium exceeds FIFA's recommended maximum viewing distance for fans".

Article qoute
"it's understood the venue doesn't meet FIFA's VIP facility requirements and parts of the stadium exceeds FIFA's recommended maximum viewing distance for fans".
VIP stuff doesn't surprise me one bit because that changes with time and requirements of FIFA blowhards. That was mentioned in the 2010 bid for 2022. But the technical specifications haven't changed since 2010 and Val should spend time reading them rather than trying to understand someones comments. This is the 5th edition re stadiums and was published in 2010 and the 4th in 2007 and got them from this FIFA documents page.
http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/official-documents/law-regulations/index.html#docTournamentReg

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/37/17/76/stadiumbook2010_buch.pdf

If anywhere is too far from the pitch it'd be top of the Riverbank.
If every seat in the MCG is compliant, then every seat at AO would be. I have sat in the last row of Q section in the MCG great southern stand near the pocket of Punt Road end and it is a *en long way from there to the middle of the ground let along the edge of the members wing even for a soccer boundary.

If every seat in the MCG is compliant, then every seat at AO would be. I have sat in the last row of Q section in the MCG great southern stand near the pocket of Punt Road end and it is a ****en long way from there to the middle of the ground let along the edge of the members wing even for a soccer boundary.
A had seats for an Australia v Japan Soccer match right near the top if the G a few years ago.

There is no way any seat at AO is that far away from the pitch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Val Migliaccio states in the Advertiser and upgrade to Adelaide oval will be on the cards if Australia's women's world cup bid was to eventuate. The issue is Adelaide Oval doesn't meet FIFA's stadium facility standards with the western stand being to far of a viewing distance from the rectangle field. This would mean a new western stand to be built for the stadium to be part of the world cup.
If they build a new Western stand i hope that it mirrors the Eastern stand

I've been to Adelaide oval for all of Melbournes games over the last 3 years. It's been a good camping ground so far.

I must say the stadium is awesome for footy and despite the bad rep the Port/Adelaide supporters get I have found them to be pretty good even when losing.

The ground gets an extra tick for having James Squires especially dark ale on tap and an even bigger tick for serving heavy beer of a night time. I like the fact it is like a festival kind of feel about games during the day over there unlike the game in Melbourne.

I will say though that the hill is a crazy place. I went there for a quarter in 2016 v Port Adelaide on a Sat night despite my South Australians friends advice. It was pretty funny but I would say at least 20 blokes would have been kicked out of the G for the same behavior. Not that it worried or annoyed me but it was just a big difference from the Victorians crowd behaviour

I've been to Adelaide oval for all of Melbournes games over the last 3 years. It's been a good camping ground so far.

I must say the stadium is awesome for footy and despite the bad rep the Port/Adelaide supporters get I have found them to be pretty good even when losing.

The ground gets an extra tick for having James Squires especially dark ale on tap and an even bigger tick for serving heavy beer of a night time. I like the fact it is like a festival kind of feel about games during the day over there unlike the game in Melbourne.

I will say though that the hill is a crazy place. I went there for a quarter in 2016 v Port Adelaide on a Sat night despite my South Australians friends advice. It was pretty funny but I would say at least 20 blokes would have been kicked out of the G for the same behavior. Not that it worried or annoyed me but it was just a big difference from the Victorians crowd behaviour
People change when they're standing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't there, what did we do differently?
There’s lights ringing around the roof
Upon entrance and after every goal (by the good guys)
They did a display which looked cool on the field

I also liked how when going through the team on the screens, they had player highlights for most (didn’t have his goal vs Essendon or anything for Murphy :( ) - but that’s more a crows match day experience thing than oval point. So not really worth bringing up

There’s lights ringing around the roof
Upon entrance and after every goal (by the good guys)
They did a display which looked cool on the field

I also liked how when going through the team on the screens, they had player highlights for most (didn’t have his goal vs Essendon or anything for Murphy :( ) - but that’s more a crows match day experience thing than oval point. So not really worth bringing up

Thanks, I think I just found an Instagram clip of it during the entrance, on TV it was noticeable but because the cameras were so close you didn't get the full effect.

I imagine it would have looked even better as it got darker.

Roof lights are now LED as opposed to standard goobes. Got upgraded before the Ashes. I'm sure the Optus ones were in use last weekend, one of the Swans players said he wasn't expecting it as the Eags came out onto the ground.

Roof lights are now LED as opposed to standard goobes. Got upgraded before the Ashes. I'm sure the Optus ones were in use last weekend, one of the Swans players said he wasn't expecting it as the Eags came out onto the ground.

West Coast didn't have any post-goal light show. Not sure what they did pre-game though.

Quick question re: cricket seating.

Does anyone know if I was to purchase reserved seats I'd be able to go and sit on the hill if I wanted to at some point or is that a separate ticket?

Cheers in advance.

Quick question re: cricket seating.

Does anyone know if I was to purchase reserved seats I'd be able to go and sit on the hill if I wanted to at some point or is that a separate ticket?

Cheers in advance.

The hill is a free for all. Depending on what cricket it is you would do well to 'sit' on the hill without getting there hours before play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back