Adelaide Oval Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Or the two AFL clubs could run SA footy! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha only kidding we know their interests!

And we clearly know yours.

You have stated that you are happy with the new deal because the SANFL retain a large portion of money generated from AO. For a "supposed" Crows supporter I have not seen you say that you are also happy that the Crows will get additional revenue from the new deal....all your comments are about the SANFL.

Time to stop your charade......any way you have once again shown you are incapable of answering or even understanding a simple question posed by Mattrox, rather you choose to go on a completely irrelevant path to what was asked of you.

In gymnastics it was commonly held that out of a thousand kids that came through your doors to try gymnastics, one would have the potential to be an elite gymnast. You would then need about a thousand of those with potential to find the one that will make it. The best coaches understood this and would support more funding for the lowest levels of general participation gymnastics, unfortunately it is still the case that the administrators for the sport push most funding into the High Performance Centres and wonder why on earth there are less kids doing the sport and the stocks of elite gymnasts are seriously dwindling.

Just because the vast majority will never succeed, it doesn't mean that they won't then become your fans, coaches, umpires/judges, administrators etc that the sport needs to survive. Forgot those and watch the sport die.

Well, at the ratio of requiring a million participants per elite gymnast, it's not really that surprising that the stocks are dwindled. :p

I think marty is arguing that due to the zones, and the best juniors playing for their SANFL club at underage level this makes it grass roots level. Even if the League teams are second rung to AFL.

However, grass roots IMO are the feeder teams within these zones that SANFL clubs recruit their players from.

Correct.
Problem is Marty bangs on about grass roots footy but cant show what they get, that's why he deliberately leads the conversation in another direction.

Just an honest question
Could the SANFL survive purely on its own earnings?

The SANFL in reality should be receiving funding from the national body.

I suspect that none of the state leagues could operate in a vacuum these days.

Time to stop your charade......any way you have once again shown you are incapable of answering or even understanding a simple question posed by Mattrox, rather you choose to go on a completely irrelevant path to what was asked of you.

Oh he understands. But he thinks we are all too dumb to see his obfuscation.

He either has no answers or knows the answer will embarrass as it undermines the narrative he has been running all this time.

I'm just happy he has clarified that he (and Rowie) are not talking about grassroots footy at all, but about elite junior talent.

Oh he understands. But he thinks we are all too dumb to see his obfuscation.

He either has no answers or knows the answer will embarrass as it undermines the narrative he has been running all this time.

I'm just happy he has clarified that he (and Rowie) are not talking about grassroots footy at all, but about elite junior talent.

Agree, especially with the bolded bit

If that was the case then those people who dont have a local AFL team they would go back to their local SANFL team. Go away and look what happened before the Crows.
The VFL was broke and their teams were near bankrupt, yet the SANFL was doing fine.
Go figure.
Yes that's a good point If there was no AFL all attendances would be up
I suppose what I am getting at is are they taking more than required to make up this difference

The SANFL in reality should be receiving funding from the national body.

I suspect that none of the state leagues could operate in a vacuum these days.

That is exactly what should happen, it is ridiculous two AFL teams fund SA Footy.

The reason the SANFL won't like that is they would have to go to the AFL and say we need $1million to run grass roots footy and $10 million for the SANFL clubs to spend on themselves ie. setting up the best oval outside the AFL grounds.

The SANFL would have to justify their funding, it is a lot better for them to have the Crows and Port provide all the funding and the SANFL don't have to answer to anyone - thankyou Rann and Foley.

Yes that's a good point If there was no AFL all attendances would be up
I suppose what I am getting at is are they taking more than required to make up this difference
Not unless you get the best SA talent to remain in the SANFL like they did in the"old days".

The reality is that those days are gone and everyone needs to adapt to the new reality.

Not unless you get the best SA talent to remain in the SANFL like they did in the"old days".

The reality is that those days are gone and everyone needs to adapt to the new reality.
The new reality is that the AFL fund all Jr development in Victoria, NSW, Qld and Tasmania but dont do it in SA or WA as they believe the state organizations have the experience and are best places to do it. So both the SANFL and the WAFL need to get that money somehow.
Why dont all the anti SANFL PAP supporters go away and lobby for the AFL to give the 15 million pa funding needed in SA and WA to them and then we keep all the money from AO?

The new reality is that the AFL fund all Jr development in Victoria, NSW, Qld and Tasmania but dont do it in SA or WA as they believe the state organizations have the experience and are best places to do it. So both the SANFL and the WAFL need to get that money somehow.
Why dont all the anti SANFL PAP supporters go away and lobby for the AFL to give the 15 million pa funding needed in SA and WA to them and then we keep all the money from AO?
I have no idea what you're on about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problems with the SANFL running this and needing money to do it. But with Rowie banging on about grassroots footy. I want to know if the real grassroots actually get any money or is it a hollow emotive argument.

Marty has made it clear that his use of the term grassroots is misleading and disingenuous. I'm glad he provided clarification and he really means "The SANFL need money" and we were never really talking about grassroots at all.

The sanfl is just a football league and it looks after itself. If it ceased to exist, div 1 ammos would be the premier league in the state and 99% of footy players in SA wouldn't notice any change at all. There would need to be some form of elite junior league to provide a pathway to the afl. But footy would survive just fine without the sanfl.

I have no problems with the SANFL running this and needing money to do it. But with Rowie banging on about grassroots footy. I want to know if the real grassroots actually get any money or is it a hollow emotive argument.

Marty has made it clear that his use of the term grassroots is misleading and disingenuous. I'm glad he provided clarification and he really means "The SANFL need money" and we were never really talking about grassroots at all.

I have suggested before that Footy in this state needs an overhaul. An adaption of the TAC cup would work here I reckon.

Take juniors from the SANFL clubs and set up a juniors league with teams to represent each of the zones. At the end of going through this system they are either drafted by the AFL, or SANFL (so have an SANFL draft for players not drafted to AFL clubs) or play ammo footy or just quit.

Right now the sole focus of each SANFL club is to win the SANFL leage Premiership. Not to develop juniors. They do an ok job, but a league who's aim is to develop AFL talent and funded by the AFL would do a better job IMO.

I have suggested before that Footy in this state needs an overhaul. An adaption of the TAC cup would work here I reckon.

Take juniors from the SANFL clubs and set up a juniors league with teams to represent each of the zones. At the end of going through this system they are either drafted by the AFL, or SANFL (so have an SANFL draft for players not drafted to AFL clubs) or play ammo footy or just quit.

Right now the sole focus of each SANFL club is to win the SANFL leage Premiership. Not to develop juniors. They do an ok job, but a league who's aim is to develop AFL talent and funded by the AFL would do a better job IMO.

Sorry, but you have no idea of what the SANFL clubs do for junior development. Apart from that, YOUR idea of junior development is limited to the 10 or 20 juniors who are drafted each year, ignoring totally the thousands of others who aren't drafted.

You are an elitist. If kids aren't good enough to be drafted, your idea is for them to play Ammos or "just quit". Sorry again, but that is pathetic.

Read the SANFL Annual Report about their junior development and cringe at your elitist attitude. Read each SANFL club's Annual Report and be ashamed of your 'or quit' attitude to grassroots footy.

You say SANFL clubs aren't interested in junior development.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Sorry, but you have no idea of what the SANFL clubs do for junior development. Apart from that, YOUR idea of junior development is limited to the 10 or 20 juniors who are drafted each year, ignoring totally the thousands of others who aren't drafted.

You are an elitist. If kids aren't good enough to be drafted, your idea is for them to play Ammos or "just quit". Sorry again, but that is pathetic.

Read the SANFL Annual Report about their junior development and cringe at your elitist attitude. Read each SANFL club's Annual Report and be ashamed of your 'or quit' attitude to grassroots footy.

You say SANFL clubs aren't interested in junior development.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I did say the SANFL clubs do an ok job. Which is what the club and SANFL reports will no doubt say. But their aim is to be the second best competition outside of the AFL. That is the mantra of the SANFL.

Wouldn't it be better for juniors to be playing for a club who's sole purpose and all its resources revolve around developing them into the best footballer they can be? Just like they do in Victoria.

And the logical outcomes are
  1. play AFL footy,
  2. Play SANFL footy,
  3. play for an amateur/country league team, or
  4. give up playing football.
Nothing elitist about that. These are the four possible outcomes that stem from playing junior footy. My suggestion provides a pathway for each option. Not just the players drafted by the AFL clubs.

Nonsense. You're just trying to make the best of a very,very ordinary post.

Sorry to be angry, but that's the type of attitude that shows no understanding of the real world of junior development in SA.

Perhaps you should take time to learn a bit about the subject.

It's fashionable to denigrate SANFL clubs on here by some, but at West Adelaide we pay for Jason Porplyzia and many other coaches to give good coaching and development, along with volunteers, trainers and managers to look after hundreds of kids at local Amateur League and country zones.

The same at every other SANFL club, covering the whole state.

Easy to laugh at and give pious sermons, harder to actually take time to drive to Pinnaroo or Loxton and back to give something.

Again I apologise for being angry, but there's a real world out there beyond the sermonising theories on here.

Nonsense. You're just trying to make the best of a very,very ordinary post.

Sorry to be angry, but that's the type of attitude that shows no understanding of the real world of junior development in SA.

Perhaps you should take time to learn a bit about the subject.

It's fashionable to denigrate SANFL clubs on here by some, but at West Adelaide we pay for Jason Porplyzia and many other coaches to give good coaching and development, along with volunteers, trainers and managers to look after hundreds of kids at local Amateur League and country zones.

The same at every other SANFL club, covering the whole state.

Easy to laugh at and give pious sermons, harder to actually take time to drive to Pinnaroo or Loxton and back to give something.

Again I apologise for being angry, but there's a real world out there beyond the sermonising theories on here.

Why would that development stop. There'd be plenty of money to continue to fund it. Especially seeing the sanfl isn't a self-sustaining league. It's been eating away at its nett asset position for years.

Because you wouldn't get the volunteers to do it for a corporate entity SFL club, so it would cost greatly more, or be done by thr same people, but for a lot more.

Secondly, the net asset position of the SANFL has just increased greatly.

Because you wouldn't get the volunteers to do it for a corporate entity SFL club, so it would cost greatly more, or be done by thr same people, but for a lot more.

Secondly, the net asset position of the SANFL has just increased greatly.

No 1970crow believes SANFL clubs operate like AFL clubs with a multitude of paid staff running around the place. He fails to realise the only reason GRASS ROOTS FOOTY works is the amount of volunteers there are in these SANFL clubs and a lesser amount in all other leagues. There is no where close to enough money to operate football in South Australia successfully without these volunteers. But go ahead see if anyone can make it work without volunteers. These volunteers are only their for the passion they have in their club not for football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back