Adelaide Oval Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. And it's a right that not enough people are enforcing.
And then they ring up 5AA and complain about how expensive it is to take a family to the football because pies and chips and stuff.
FFS people, just stop buying it.

Much more fun to whine like a sooky la la than take actual responsibility for your decisions

. But the point I am trying to make is that Adelaide Oval is the most expensive venue in the southern hemisphere. If they dropped the prices of food and drink, they would sell a lot more on game day.

What makes you think you know their business better than them?

All that experience as a bar man for 10 minutes once whilst backpacking
?

I went to the same show and had the same experience. I also bought 4 beers in a shitty cardboard tray that pretty well just buckled and went soggy, throw in two bottles of water that don't have lids shoved into my shorts pockets and after a walk back to my partner and friends that probably looked as though I'd s*** my pants and pissed them with the amount of beer and water everywhere I can't say I was impressed with whatever moron came up with this system.
A friend I was with (who works at a lot of festivals etc), mentioned that the whole lid thing is so security can easily spot drinks smuggled in. Basically if they see a bottle with a lid on it they know it wasn't sold there and will check it out.

On another line of stupidity, I was at A Day On The Green over the weekend and they were selling glass bottles of wine (Annie's Lane), but you couldn't keep the lid. So you sit on a bottle of plonk for a couple of hours (or 30mins) in fear that it's going g to get knocked over by someone stumbling past.

All common sense says that you form your systems and rules to the expected crowd behaviour.
Yep. Saw plenty of wine spilled at Annie's Lane on Saturday

How does the reserved seat thing work for Bronze memberships? I thought you could pay extra for a given game (assuming of course a seat was available)? Or by "waiting list" do you mean regular memberships?

Curious bronze member would like to know. I had Bronze last year, but just stood on the Hill. I'd like to give the reserved seat thingy a crack.
Bronze membership gives me the right to enter three games at no extra cost (already paid for). When I enter using my bronze card, I enter as a general admission patron. So the Hill is available to me but that's not really my style. I've never had to stand up for a game though. The other general admission area is the Riverbank Stand sections 524-527, from Row AA to the back. Depending on weather and crowd size, if you get there 20-45 mins before the bounce, you'll get a seat up there before it fills.

The bronze membership also allows me to buy daily tickets during the members' pre-sale, but AO matches don't even sell out these days. You can upgrade any bronze entry rights to a reserved seat. After yesterday, I have two remaining. I could use them for walk-ups or upgrades. For example, say I want to go to the Essendon game.

Option 1: Walk up to AO and scan my card, use up 1 of my 3 entry rights, access to general admissions areas (views are alright but not fantastic). Effective cost: $30 or so.

Option 2: Upgrade on the Ticketek website. Go to the fixture page:
http://www.afc.com.au/season/premiership-fixture and click 'buy tickets' for the game you want. Takes you to the Ticketek site. On the right-hand siide, click 'SELECT DATE' and then 'GA members and general public'. Enter your membership barcode in the box that appears below and click 'Get tickets'. Several categories available. Category 3 upgrade is $42 plus unavoidable processing fee. Plus I'd use up use up one of my three games, so really I have to count the $30. Effective cost: $77.65.

Option 3: Same Ticketek procedure, but selecting a plain Adult ticket rather than upgrade. $77 plus processing fee. Effective cost: $82.65. Does not 'use up' one of my 3 entry rights.

The cheapest (Category 7) reserved seats (seating bowl below the Hill) is $12.65 for upgrade (effectively $42.65) or $47.65 for a plain Adult ticket. I've sat in that area once - TBH the view is s**t. Category 2 Adult tickets are $87 plus fee. Of course, you can spread that transaction fee by buying tickets to several games all at once.

The waiting list comes automatically with a bronze membership. The club sent me an email last month saying that several silver memberships (reserved seat for all 11 home games) have become available. But I didn't like the seats. For that kind of money, I want excellent an excellent seat. Since I chose not to take up that offer, I automatically remain on the waiting list. I'll just be patient until I get offered a seat that I really like.

Overall, it's pretty pricey and complicated. I try to maximise my Crows enjoyment while minimising my spending.

Certainly not well travelled. But travelled enough to have lost faith in the direction the South Australian state is heading. Supported by the fact that some states saw 4 times the population growth of SA in 2016, or in other words, people are leaving.

Are you sure it's reasonable to apply the big AO captured market to the state as a whole. I would have thought the exception rather than the rule. Event pricing is a gauge just about everywhere I've ever been.

Didnt cinema's try that but reverted over outrage? Im not really a movie goer.

It basically killed the cinema in Salisbury. When it first opened (as a joint venture with Hoyts and a smaller now-defunct chain), the now-defunct chain had a militant 'no outside food' policy. People said 'screw this, Tea Tree Plaza is up the road', and Hoyts have been cleaning up that mess for the past 15 years.

The good thing is no matter what time of day or night, you're rarely going to have more than about 15 people in any given session.

- At the Springsteen concert back in January, I bought bottled drinks for myself and Mrs Arrowman, and was told I had to remove the caps before taking them in. So we had to nurse open drink bottles and of course by the end of the show my Coke Zero was all over the floor :D
Something to do with "security" - I assume they were worried about bottles being thrown. FFS. At Springsteen.

Mrs Arrowman had the right idea - next time, we take a couple of bottle caps in our pockets and use them

Yep it's a security thing, requested by the promoter, or even the artist themselves (which is why the policy changes from show to show).

The bar on the hill is also cashless, unfortunately some blokes were firing up at the staff. It's not their fault. Also a 50 litre keg of beer costs a pub about $280. With sponsorship Adelaide oval would be paying less. Tap beer is overpriced everywhere unfortunately.

Anyone that fires off at staff for something like that should be immediately cut off. Want to behave like an idiot, then you're treated as intoxicated and that's the end of you buying drinks for the day.

Bronze membership gives me the right to enter three games at no extra cost (already paid for). When I enter using my bronze card, I enter as a general admission patron. So the Hill is available to me but that's not really my style. I've never had to stand up for a game though. The other general admission area is the Riverbank Stand sections 524-527, from Row AA to the back. Depending on weather and crowd size, if you get there 20-45 mins before the bounce, you'll get a seat up there before it fills.

The bronze membership also allows me to buy daily tickets during the members' pre-sale, but AO matches don't even sell out these days. You can upgrade any bronze entry rights to a reserved seat. After yesterday, I have two remaining. I could use them for walk-ups or upgrades. For example, say I want to go to the Essendon game.

Option 1: Walk up to AO and scan my card, use up 1 of my 3 entry rights, access to general admissions areas (views are alright but not fantastic). Effective cost: $30 or so.

Option 2: Upgrade on the Ticketek website. Go to the fixture page:
http://www.afc.com.au/season/premiership-fixture and click 'buy tickets' for the game you want. Takes you to the Ticketek site. On the right-hand siide, click 'SELECT DATE' and then 'GA members and general public'. Enter your membership barcode in the box that appears below and click 'Get tickets'. Several categories available. Category 3 upgrade is $42 plus unavoidable processing fee. Plus I'd use up use up one of my three games, so really I have to count the $30. Effective cost: $77.65.

Option 3: Same Ticketek procedure, but selecting a plain Adult ticket rather than upgrade. $77 plus processing fee. Effective cost: $82.65. Does not 'use up' one of my 3 entry rights.

The cheapest (Category 7) reserved seats (seating bowl below the Hill) is $12.65 for upgrade (effectively $42.65) or $47.65 for a plain Adult ticket. I've sat in that area once - TBH the view is s**t. Category 2 Adult tickets are $87 plus fee. Of course, you can spread that transaction fee by buying tickets to several games all at once.

The waiting list comes automatically with a bronze membership. The club sent me an email last month saying that several silver memberships (reserved seat for all 11 home games) have become available. But I didn't like the seats. For that kind of money, I want excellent an excellent seat. Since I chose not to take up that offer, I automatically remain on the waiting list. I'll just be patient until I get offered a seat that I really like.

Overall, it's pretty pricey and complicated. I try to maximise my Crows enjoyment while minimising my spending.
Whoa! Way more than I deserved!
Thank you!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes you think you know their business better than them?

All that experience as a bar man for 10 minutes once whilst backpacking
?

Because I started 2 online retail businesses from a total of $400 investment that now earn me enough money to allow me to travel without needing to work as well as pay someone in Australia to manage the businesses. Im in the process of trialling another product to sell online, so if all goes as planned it could be the start of a 3rd business.

When selling something, the almighty dollar will always eventually win out. People want the cheapest option, the most bang for their buck. Currently there is a mix of people buying at AO, and others who bring in their own food and drinks or buy outside of the ground. Perhaps the reason for the price rise each year is because more and more people are refusing to buy at AO.

Because I started 2 online retail businesses from a total of $400 investment that now earn me enough money to allow me to travel without needing to work as well as pay someone in Australia to manage the businesses. Im in the process of trialling another product to sell online, so if all goes as planned it could be the start of a 3rd business.

eBay doesn't count

When selling something, the almighty dollar will always eventually win out. People want the cheapest option, the most bang for their buck. Currently there is a mix of people buying at AO, and others who bring in their own food and drinks or buy outside of the ground. Perhaps the reason for the price rise each year is because more and more people are refusing to buy at AO.

I'm sure your market research is more compelling than theirs and your models more sophisticated

Why don't you offer to sell it to them?

As most would realise if you sell less but have a larger margin, you are miles in front, by selling volume at low margin the risk factor is increased. Ideally most businesses would prefer a greater margin even if the volumes are down, as your overheads are also down.

eBay doesn't count

I'm sure your market research is more compelling than theirs and your models more sophisticated

Why don't you offer to sell it to them?

Why wouldnt amazon, ebay, or any other online avenue count? I wouldnt care if my money was made paying someone to sell lemonade on the side of the road, its money made that I havent had to work for... Virtually every small to middle sized online retailer integrates eBay into their online selling system. Even stores like Target, JB Hi Fi, Harvey Nornan, they all have eBay stores.

In 2014 there were a total of 1667 Australian eBay millionaires...
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...k=1739018bfcddf0600b651003070a395d-1490662998

But no, eBay or Amazon are bad ideas, they dont count.

Now you are just being dismissive because you have just been shown up. Your posts reek of "tired old man who is angry at the world" syndrome.

Why wouldnt amazon, ebay, or any other online avenue count? I wouldnt care if my money was made paying someone to sell lemonade on the side of the road, its money made that I havent had to work for... Virtually every small to middle sized online retailer integrates eBay into their online selling system. Even stores like Target, JB Hi Fi, Harvey Nornan, they all have eBay stores.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...k=1739018bfcddf0600b651003070a395d-1490662998

Now you are just being dismissive because you have just been shown up. Your posts reek of "tired old man who is angry at the world" syndrome.
Ebay is just a fad. It will never take off.

As I use my typewriter to post this......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can I just confirm that the biggest issue about AO is not being able to jump in a spa with your mates post game?
Not an issue at all. I just use the big hot tub in the visitors' change rooms.

Ebay is huge , Alibaba who cares they move some serious amounts of product, any retailer not to want to be part of that is insane

More and more every week take up online shopping it will replace a huge percentage of stores

Only need to look to see what is happening in the biggest consumer market in the world in China

I dont know anyone that doesnt buy something online

Ebay is huge , Alibaba who cares they move some serious amounts of product, any retailer not to want to be part of that is insane

More and more every week take up online shopping it will replace a huge percentage of stores

Only need to look to see what is happening in the biggest consumer market in the world in China

I dont know anyone that doesnt buy something online

Yep and now its getting harder and harder to find something to sell online without competing with 100's of other sellers with the same product, which is where selling more at a lower profit margin works. If you sell for too much, people will go elsewhere just like people sneaking in food and drinks to AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back