Adelaide Oval: Trouble in Paradise

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the talk of Hinkley, good, bad or otherwise, it’s puzzling that our horrific record at Adelaide Oval is never mentioned in the media.

It’s more in keeping with that of a bottom-4 side. There’s been no discernible advantage whatsoever for the better part of 5 years.

For all the talk of Hinkley, good, bad or otherwise, it’s puzzling that our horrific record at Adelaide Oval is never mentioned in the media.

It’s more in keeping with that of a bottom-4 side. There’s been no discernible advantage whatsoever for the better part of 5 years.

At what point does "shock, season defining, upset win at Adelaide Oval against Port!" just become a par for the course result for any half competent team? How many years do the media have to report on 5-6 games a year in the same manner before the blowtorch turns to the loser rather than the winner of these games?

At what point does "shock, season defining, upset win at Adelaide Oval against Port!" just become a par for the course result for any half competent team? How many years do the media have to report on 5-6 games a year in the same manner before the blowtorch turns to the loser rather than the winner of these games?

I thought the penny was finally going to drop when a punchdrunk Richmond came here last year after back-to-back 7 goal losses and without Rance, Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin and Houli.

But it was still “it’s so tough to win here” and a “win for the ages” with precious little “what the actual f**k is wrong with the hosts that this always happens?”.

this should be sent to AFL for please explain

We’ve got to be the only team in history punished for simultaneously playing well and having amazing fans amidst the halcyon ‘Portress’ days.

You’d watch a Crows game at AO, and they’d enjoy the armchair ride you’d expect from their Subiesque carry-on.

We’d follow up the week after and the umpires would actively lean against us to prove they weren’t being unduly influenced by “the raucous Port crowd”.

Razor Ray blatantly ignoring Buddy shoving Hombsch in the back with two hands while all three men were alone in the Swans F50 was the perfect example of this.

40,000 of us screaming blue murder at a free that would’ve been paid in literally any era, but there’s Chamberlain poking his chest out and waving play on.

We’ve got to be the only team in history punished for simultaneously playing well and having amazing fans amidst the halcyon ‘Portress’ days.

You’d watch a Crows game at AO, and they’d enjoy the armchair ride you’d expect from their Subiesque carry-on.

We’d follow up the week after and the umpires would actively lean against us to prove they weren’t being unduly influenced by “the raucous Port crowd”.

Razor Ray blatantly ignoring Buddy shoving Hombsch in the back with two hands while all three men were alone in the Swans F50 was the perfect example of this.

40,000 of us screaming blue murder at a free that would’ve been paid in literally any era, but there’s Chamberlain poking his chest out and waving play on.

The one where even Buddy himself turned around and looked at the ump as if to say 'wtf, really?' before booting it into the Riverbank Stand.

We won't improve our record at AO by much because we still have the same stupid mentality and method.

We dont put scoreboard pressure on when we are dominating the game, dominating forward territory, dominating inside 50's etc. We don't convert our chances either by poor goalkicking or inability to not bomb it to Charlie all the time.

We need a mindset change to change our record since 2015. That wont change without regime change.
I agree. We've had the one coach at Adelaide Oval so it stands to reason that the results will remain the same until there is a change.

The one where even Buddy himself turned around and looked at the ump as if to say 'wtf, really?' before booting it into the Riverbank Stand.

And who could forget that time that Lynch was pushed in the back whilst runnng into goal, got paid the 6 points and another kick for his troubles?

AO is too narrow and imo it's a major blunder. The Eastern side should've been another 10 to 15m's wider it's design is fundamentally for cricket and it wasn't great for that either.

We've often struggled against organised teams and Hinkley's game plan for years has been impotent in response. For year after year we've hugged the boundary

focused on the forward pockets and been one dimensional with forward targets. We're better this year but we all remember our fwd area being either empty

or a crowded hotch potch of desperate players playing hot potato hot potato. Goals mostly coming from individual brilliance or oppo clangers. Hence our stats v top8 teams.

We need to foster self belief bordering on arrogance. I want to see more swagger and mongrel that focuses on anti-social footy. Stuff accepting mediocrity

from honest triers and a club hierarchy worried about not upsetting the comp or officialdom.

If the players are getting the yips from crowd expectation then work on your foot skills and goal kicking prowess.

Your professional bloody footballers toughen up or eff off. What's more disgraceful than some of our senior players foot skills is that they're been sub-par for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It happens because we allow it to happen. It's a Koch Care Bears special.

West Coast boo the living s**t out of the umpires all game every game and have a great run with the umps at home, we do the same and as tribey says, it's like we're the assignment where umps come to prove they can stop themselves from being influenced by a loud home crowd.

This happens to us over and above every club because under Koch we don't rock the boat. Ever. Someone just farken cop a fine and stand up for the team ffs. Kane actually talked about it this week but we are terrible at using our media mouthpieces to drum up chatter about it to get a response. Come out and show a few clips of the sort of s**t we're dealing with here.

This Care Bear attitude is also why we're s**t at Adelaide Oval. No killer instinct. We don't value scoring as a way of increasing pressure on the opposition and decreasing pressure on ourselves. We're always mentally ripe for the plucking. It starts from the top. I'll accept that there was an element of it in the Choco era, but nothing like this.

3410938585_bf7ce626a1_b.jpg

The "not giving in" and NTUA has become to me, pure cringe. I reckon it spurs on opposition teams and makes ump giggle, "watch us f them up?". And teams know we don't practice what the happy feel good sing-alongs preach. I only stand up for NTUA for my kids involvement.

We cant handle expectations under Kens tenure. Right from 2013 semi against Geelong to play safe in 2nd half, its instilled within the playing group. I will struggle to force myself to another game this year.

Franklin even turned around to check he wasn't in some parallel universe before continuing on to goal.

But if you think it's bad at AO try Alberton where it's so blatant it's actually shocking. Aiden Johnson was KO'd with a swinging right fist 15m from the on-looking ump

with his uninterrupted view. 2 or 3yrs ago the 1/2 time free kick count was 23-2 but let's get back to AO. In a showdown a year or so ago when the free kick count

10mins into the 2nd qtr was 10-0. SPP was awarded our 1st free and I remember thinking if I was Sam i'd have refused the free, left the ball on the ground

turned to the ump with hands out "who ME for what " then just walk away. Such a gesture would've put these cheating toads under the national spotlight.

Remember when the crers squealed like stuck pigs over Parnell's umpiring and it was splashed all over the media? Where as we just roll over and wait

for our tummy to be tickled only to be reamed without any lube.

The "not giving in" and NTUA has become to me, pure cringe. I reckon it spurs on opposition teams and makes ump giggle, "watch us f them up?". And teams know we don't practice what the happy feel good sing-alongs preach. I only stand up for NTUA for my kids involvement.

We cant handle expectations under Kens tenure. Right from 2013 semi against Geelong to play safe in 2nd half, its instilled within the playing group. I will struggle to force myself to another game this year.

An opposition supporter posted something the other day that something like 75 or 80% of the time the OPPO score the first goal at AO. Not sure if it's true or not, maybe one for the stats gurus to look up.

AO is too narrow and imo it's a major blunder. The Eastern side should've been another 10 to 15m's wider it's design is fundamentally for cricket and it wasn't great for that either.

We've often struggled against organised teams and Hinkley's game plan for years has been impotent in response. For year after year we've hugged the boundary

focused on the forward pockets and been one dimensional with forward targets. We're better this year but we all remember our fwd area being either empty

or a crowded hotch potch of desperate players playing hot potato hot potato. Goals mostly coming from individual brilliance or oppo clangers. Hence our stats v top8 teams.

We need to foster self belief bordering on arrogance. I want to see more swagger and mongrel that focuses on anti-social footy. Stuff accepting mediocrity

from honest triers and a club hierarchy worried about not upsetting the comp or officialdom.

If the players are getting the yips from crowd expectation then work on your foot skills and goal kicking prowess.

Your professional bloody footballers toughen up or eff off. What's more disgraceful than some of our senior players foot skills is that they're been sub-par for years.

This isn't just AO but we let other s**t teams shut us down with a flood too easy.

How many times have we seen us trap the ball in our half for 10 minutes, pissing around in congestion because everyone is in 1/3rd of the ground. We lack the ability to convert from these situations like say Richmond does. Then what happens, it goes down the other end and their forward line is completely open, with a couple of 1 on 1s or they get over the back of our press for an easy goal.

It's so ******* frustrating and has been happening for years. We work so hard in our clogged up half, eventually turn it over then they get a run on and slam on 3 or 4 goals with an open forward line.

A non-brainless coach would have worked out how to create space or draw some players back by now. But no, same s**t time after time.
You can be the shittest team in the league and fall back on an old Ross Lyon flood and you've probably got at least a 50/50 chance of beating us at home in a low scoring shitfest.

This isn't just AO but we let other sh*t teams shut us down with a flood too easy.

How many times have we seen us trap the ball in our half for 10 minutes, pissing around in congestion because everyone is in 1/3rd of the ground. We lack the ability to convert from these situations like say Richmond does. Then what happens, it goes down the other end and their forward line is completely open, with a couple of 1 on 1s or they get over the back of our press for an easy goal.

It's so ******* frustrating and has been happening for years. We work so hard in our clogged up half, eventually turn it over then they get a run on and slam on 3 or 4 goals with an open forward line.

A non-brainless coach would have worked out how to create space or draw some players back by now. But no, same sh*t time after time.
You can be the shittest team in the league and fall back on an old Ross Lyon flood and you've probably got at least a 50/50 chance of beating us at home in a low scoring shitfest.
How hard would it be to consistently position all 4 of McKenzie, Farrell, Hammer and Houston around the arks and use them to kick goals and draw out opposition defences.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
This isn't just AO but we let other sh*t teams shut us down with a flood too easy.

A non-brainless coach would have worked out how to create space or draw some players back by now. But no, same sh*t time after time.
^ in a word yep :(

I don't want to be defeatist but is it a possibility we fall off the cliff this year and miss finals. Another injury or two and i'll be in gulp mode thinking

"I swear i've seen this movie before" imagine the lol's if it's all down to Wylie Buzza last round in his first game...... f'ck i'd be sooo Ports.

A tragic comedy........... on loop

Last edited:
How hard would it be to consistently position all 4 of McKenzie, Farrell, Hammer and Houston around the arks and use them to kick goals and draw out opposition defences.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Not very. All those players you mention bar maybe Houston would already be outside 50 in our forward press. It's about getting them the ball and giving them the confidence to shoot.

I just dont get it

We train at AO. We play 50% of our games at AO yet still have no idea how to play the ground while teams that are lucky to play here once every couple of years play it like we should be.

Either our players are stupid, our coaches are stupid, or both

As for the umpiring at AO its bewildering that we get reamed so often at our home ground. We'd be the only home team that regularly gets shafted at their own ground. The Crows get their dicks stroked at AO every week and we get the appendage up the rear without any lubricant.

Ken having a "sorta crack" at the umpiring was the first time someone of seniority at our club has made any comments about it. There needs to be more

I love Adelaide Oval but i ******* hate watching us play there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back