Adelaide Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Mods, please do not merge this thread with other similar ones from past as id like to update it every year like I do for every other club.

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.HART[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.RUTTEN[/TD][TD valign="top"]N.BASSETT[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]A.MCLEOD[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.TALIA[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.LAIRD*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.SLOANE*[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.THOMPSON[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.EDWARDS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD][TD valign="top"]P.DANGERFIELD[/TD][TD valign="top"]K.TIPPETT[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.BURTON[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]E.BETTS[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.WALKER* (vc)[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.LYNCH[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]RR[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.JACOBS[/TD][TD valign="top"]M.RICCIUTO (c)[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.GOODWIN[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]INT[/TD][TD valign="top"]G.JOHNCOCK[/TD][TD valign="top"]M.CROUCH*[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.SMITH* - R.DOUGLAS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]COACH:[/TD][TD valign="top"]DON PYKE[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

CHANGES AT END OF 2021 SEASON:
IN: B.SMITH
OUT: T.STENGLEIN

Minimum 50 games.

Thoughts please?

Last edited:
Great work, its not an easy job. Was there a criteria for selection?

The selection of coach is interesting, personally I would take Walsh over Pyke. From what very little I saw of Walsh and also how unfortunately how little games he coached at the Crows, I genuinely believed he laid the foundation for the 2017 GF, without any doubt.

Carey with 56goals from 28 games has to be considered in the thought process here.

For small forwards role of Johncock, I think Welsh and Porps need to be in consideration here. Charlie as well.

Great work, its not an easy job. Was there a criteria for selection?

The selection of coach is interesting, personally I would take Walsh over Pyke. From what very little I saw of Walsh and also how unfortunately how little games he coached at the Crows, I genuinely believed he laid the foundation for the 2017 GF, without any doubt.

Carey with 56goals from 28 games has to be considered in the thought process here.

For small forwards role of Johncock, I think Welsh and Porps need to be in consideration here. Charlie as well.

Sorry I've edited in now. I had minimum 50 games as criteria. And not taking into account anything the players did prior to year 2000 (so for example someone like bickley who did play this century but did most of his best work before the time period wasn't included).

I'd take out Brett Burton and add in Bernie Vince. Bernie won a jacket which should be acknowledged. Burton wasn't that great apart from his leaps.

Mods, please do not merge this thread with other similar ones from past as id like to update it every year like I do for every other club.
Thoughts please?
Thanks for doing this ... ok, where's this bloke? :smilev1:

moty-1993-jpg.1221682

Ed. Oh wait, is there a Team of the 20th century?

Ok, perhaps you are going by the principle of picking the best at each position rather than cramming as many stars as you can into a team like the AA squad. Even then, some may argue Tex-v-Modra.

Perhaps if there's more than one candidate vying for a position, could you have a reserve list, or maybe put the second candidate's name under the first in parentheses? Wouldn't do it for every position but maybe just the cases where there are more than one great for one position.

OTOH, maybe move Tex from FF and put Mods in there.

Also, for when you update the team, perhaps use a SPOILER tag to keep each year's team readily available as a revision history?

Thanks for doing this ... ok, where's this bloke? :smilev1:

moty-1993-jpg.1221682

Ed. Oh wait, is there a Team of the 20th century?

Ok, perhaps you are going by the principle of picking the best at each position rather than cramming as many stars as you can into a team like the AA squad. Even then, some may argue Tex-v-Modra.

Perhaps if there's more than one candidate vying for a position, could you have a reserve list, or maybe put the second candidate's name under the first in parentheses? Wouldn't do it for every position but maybe just the cases where there are more than one great for one position.

OTOH, maybe move Tex from FF and put Mods in there.

Also, for when you update the team, perhaps use a SPOILER tag to keep each year's team readily available as a revision history?

Mods was a superstar!! But this is for what the players did in 21st century only and he never actually played for adelaide this century.

For other boards, I have every year updated ins and outs to track progress however for some reason my adelaide thread has been merged with other similar threads so I was unable to do that.

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.HART[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.RUTTEN[/TD][TD valign="top"]N.BASSETT[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]A.MCLEOD[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.TALIA[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.LAIRD*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.SLOANE*[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.THOMPSON[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.EDWARDS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD][TD valign="top"]P.DANGERFIELD[/TD][TD valign="top"]K.TIPPETT[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.BURTON[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]E.BETTS[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.WALKER* (vc)[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.LYNCH[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]RR[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.JACOBS[/TD][TD valign="top"]M.RICCIUTO (c)[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.GOODWIN[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]INT[/TD][TD valign="top"]G.JOHNCOCK[/TD][TD valign="top"]M.CROUCH*[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.SMITH* - R.DOUGLAS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]COACH:[/TD][TD valign="top"]DON PYKE[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

Minimum 50 games.

Thoughts please?
Burton Out, Lynch to HFF, Scott Welsh to FWD pocket. Could make an argument for Jenkins over Tippett (played more games at a higher average goals per game). In a schoolyard pick you'd take Kurt though.

Douglas out for Vince.

Hard to argue much else.

Minimum 50 games.

Thoughts please?
I’d flick Tom Lynch and certainly Richard Douglas for Trent Hentschel (admittedly partly on his sky high potential after 60 games). If not for the injury caused by the Matt Thomas’ tackle in R19 2006 that stuffed Hentchel‘s knee and likely contributed to our PF exit, then there would no argument. This guy was emerging as a star of the comp and IMHO he played enough good/great games to be recognised.

Minimum 50 games.

Thoughts please?
I assume that Darren Jarman didn't play enough games in the 21st century to qualify for this team?

Also, Nigel Smart would come in to consideration for this side as well, though not sure who he plays in front of. Maybe on to the HBF with Laird to the bench and one of Crouch or Douglas to come out.

I assume that Darren Jarman didn't play enough games in the 21st century to qualify for this team?

Also, Nigel Smart would come in to consideration for this side as well, though not sure who he plays in front of. Maybe on to the HBF with Laird to the bench and one of Crouch or Douglas to come out.

yes both those champs did their best work in the 90s so not really good candidates for this side

Great effort!

It’s only my opinion, but I think Scott Welsh definitely needs to be included. Criminally underrated player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes both those champs did their best work in the 90s so not really good candidates for this side

Whilst I would agree with you about both Jarman and Smart playing there best football in the 90’s, I notice you put Hart in your side, who I would also say fits the same criteria as Jarman and Smart.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whilst I would agree with you about both Jarman and Smart playing there best football in the 90’s, I notice you put Hart in your side, who I would also say fits the same criteria as Jarman and Smart.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really did not think this would be the difficult part of this thread so I'll try to explain it this way. Yes all 3 played their best footy in the 90s but if we are looking purely at this century then..

Ben hart played 131 games this century. Including all australians and best and fairest. I think everyone agrees he is one of the first picked in this team.

Nigel smart played 91 games. Did not get any of his achievements in this time frame. You could definitely mount a case for him to be in the team based on his performances this century but I personally rated bassett ahead based on this century's form only. it is actually one of the best defences I've done across all the boards so quite a hard one to break into!

Darren jarman only played 34 games this century. Did not get any of his achievements in this time frame either. I think most would agree that is not enough games or impact in the given time period. And does not fit the arbitrary 50 games minimum qualification set in original post.

I hope that helps clear up any confusion!!

Last edited:
I really did not think this would be the difficult part of this thread so I'll try to explain it this way. Yes all 3 played their best footy in the 90s but if we are looking purely at this century then..

Ben hart played 131 games this century. Had 2x all australians and 2x best and fairests. I think everyone agrees he is one of the first picked in this team.

Nigel smart played 91 games. Did not get any of his achievements in this time frame. You could definitely mount a case for him to be in the team based on his performances this century but I personally rated bassett ahead based on this century's form only. it is actually one of the best defences I've done across all the boards so quite a hard one to break into!

Darren jarman only played 34 games this century. Did not get any of his achievements in this time frame either. I think most would agree that is not enough games or impact in the given time period. And does not fit the arbitrary 50 games minimum qualification set in original post.

ok, so i've just realised you are not an Adelaide supporter.
I think you've put together an incredibly sound team for this criteria, well done!

As you've said, the Adelaide backline would be one of the best of the 21st century. Not surprising given our overall minor round success, and defensive mindset of Craig who was coach for a large portion of this timeframe.

Incredible that a team couldn't fit Johncock in a backpocket, but alas, it's also hard to leave out Best and Fairest winners!

I think If i had a crack, it'd come up pretty similar. Smith and Douglas are questionable at a glance, but perhaps their AA and BnF honours respectively, give them the nod? Who else was in contention for the last two bench spots?

Ben hart played 131 games this century. Had 2x all australians and 2x best and fairests. I think everyone agrees he is one of the first picked in this team.

Harts only AA in the 21st century was 2002 and also the B& F. He also made 1999 and won that B&F but thats classed as the 20th century.

ok, so i've just realised you are not an Adelaide supporter.
I think you've put together an incredibly sound team for this criteria, well done!

As you've said, the Adelaide backline would be one of the best of the 21st century. Not surprising given our overall minor round success, and defensive mindset of Craig who was coach for a large portion of this timeframe.

Incredible that a team couldn't fit Johncock in a backpocket, but alas, it's also hard to leave out Best and Fairest winners!

I think If i had a crack, it'd come up pretty similar. Smith and Douglas are questionable at a glance, but perhaps their AA and BnF honours respectively, give them the nod? Who else was in contention for the last two bench spots?

thank you for feedback.

other contenders I had for final bench spots included vince, stenglein, doughty, van berlo and mark stevens.

Ben hart played 131 games this century. Including all australians and best and fairest. I think everyone agrees he is one of the first picked in this team.

There was no confusion. Just trying to find a way to get Jarman in there as he was so good at his best.

I maintain that whilst Hart was better for longer, that like Smart his best footy was in the 90's, not the 2000's.

Just adding my 2 cents in. I was not trying to be difficult.

Minimum 50 games.

Thoughts please?

Good effort from a non-Crows supporter.
As this is opinion-based, this is what I would have different from your team:
in: Jenkins, Welsh, Porplyzia
out: Tippett, Dangerfield, M Crouch

Hart, Rutten, Johncock
McLeod, Talia, Bassett
Burton, Thompson, Edwards
Porplyzia, Jenkins, Lynch
Betts, Welsh, Walker
Jacobs, Ricciuto, Goodwin
Smith (7th defender)
Sloane (mid and wing rotations)
Laird (mid/back)
Douglas (mid/fwd)

Coach - Neil Craig (05, 06, 09) trump Pykes 17.

I went minimum 100 games to qualify.

Or basic reply for you - Jenkins (4th on our all time goalkicker 296 from 147 games) ahead of Tippett (188 goals from 104 games)

Minimum 50 games.

Thoughts please?

I'd replace Tippett with Scott Welsh, Jason Porplyzia or Darren Jarman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back