Adelaide United FC Thread - 2019 FFA Cup Champions (Kings of the Cup)

Remove this Banner Ad

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Yeehah!!! Ryan Kitto looks to have improved a lot over the pre-season. And looks like Kurz rates him pretty highly

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Well deserved three points on the road there. And what a comeback as well!! I honestly believe we look the goods this year!!

SloaneysDanger

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 26, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Liverpool, Cavaliers
Faaark me we made that hard. We dominated for long periods of the game but couldn't break through. Kitto and Baba the subs (what a shock) the difference. Baba needs to be starting next week 1000% he was good and held the ball up well.

SloaneysDanger

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 26, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
1 point from 6 would have been an average start but it's turned into a very good start with 4 from 6.

Huge game next week.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It's all about chemistry IMO. 3 of the 4 have never played together and it does show a bit. Gulum is far far too good for this league, he's taken a week to show it.

Felt Baba was pivotal when he came on and Johan..... what we are paying isn't enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 5, 2015
The future
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AC Milan, Arsenal, North Adelaide
Way way more skills.

Also, we are fit as ****. You can see how much better we run out games
The only thing I don’t like is that Isaias is nowhere near as effective in this system. He’s still bloody good, but he was devastating under the old system. Hopefully it’s just teething problems and will sort itself out.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The only thing I don’t like is that Isaias is nowhere near as effective in this system. He’s still bloody good, but he was devastating under the old system. Hopefully it’s just teething problems and will sort itself out.
Adlung is a better player, Isa knows it and so does Kurz. He's less effective because he doesn't have to be

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
They are different type players. Last 2 seasons Isaias played the quarterback/Pirlo role. I don’t think that is why they recruited Adlung. It’s just the system is different.
Adlung is the box to box, like Holland but it works in this system.

And even Isa thinks he's a better player

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I’m not debating who is better, I am saying that Isaias is less effective under Kurz’s system. An observation.
Fair point.

He was the main man under Amor, and Josep before that. I reckon Kurz relies on a much more even contribution from his players.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Great win, I thought we were cooked and facing a 2-0 loss. Gotta try and make more of our corners. Our fitness came through, after playing in Wellington on Sunday and what looked to be a very warm Brisbane on a Friday (thanks FFA, good programming) and come away with a late win is huge.

I got caught out with the FTA telecast, for some stupid reason I thought SBS still had Friday night games, it doesn’t bode well for seeing many United games on 10.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
We are still gelling together a bit, but you can see the individual talent is there.

SloaneysDanger

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 26, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Can't believe I'm saying this but does Lia keep his spot over Matmour? We looked much better with Lia and Isa deeper and Adlung running the show further up-field. In my eyes it really is only Lia or Matmour who starts. Obviously we would be better defensively with Lia starting but if we're at home playing a weaker side I can see Matmour starting over him.

Thoughts?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I'd keep Lia but bring Matmour on very early in the 2nd half

Back