Adelaide United FC Thread - 2019 FFA Cup Champions (Kings of the Cup)

Remove this Banner Ad

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He played OK tonight, but our side mirrors the attitude of James Troisi.

Talent plus, questionable workrate and a habit of turning your toes up when it gets hard.

SloaneysDanger

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 26, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Liverpool, Cavaliers
I love the club but hate the fact they have completely ignored the fact we've needed better defenders the past two seasons. last season we almost made the GF conceding a lot of goals (under Kurz) now we're doing the same thing but under a different manager and look shithouse.

Go away Verbeek. It's becoming evident he can't improve this team.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I wonder what a good manager could do with our young talent.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The Phoenix getting the highest attendance for a round is something I'd never thought I'd see.
Probably had a bit to do with the fact they probably wont see their side at home again all season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wonder what a good manager could do with our young talent.
Nothing. There is no development

Our current coach explains it. Under 18's kids are playing 50-60 games a year in Holland. They get enough time to improve and develop. They play 20-30 here and in many cases probably less as they rot the bench of NPL clubs playing 5-10 a game. The development pathway here is crap

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Nothing. There is no development

Our current coach explains it. Under 18's kids are playing 50-60 games a year in Holland. They get enough time to improve and develop. They play 20-30 here and in many cases probably less as they rot the bench of NPL clubs playing 5-10 a game. The development pathway here is crap
Not disputing that part.

Our last coach refused to play them, this one plays them but appears to be a one trick pony.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not disputing that part.

Our last coach refused to play them, this one plays them but appears to be a one trick pony.
I haven't watched much this calendar year tbh. Never been more bored by our league as I have this season but the fact he's even playing kids is a huge positive IMO

Previously, Toure x2 would go to waste for 3-4 more years before disappearing back to the amateur league on decent cash payments

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'd rather my money back for the lack of investment into a 5th import...
The virus outbreak is obviously beyond their control but the lack of ambition in that respect is unacceptable.
To be fair to Verbeek he has made it very clear that the squad is defensively weak
We have Elsey playing every week who is borderline in terms of an A-League standard centre back. I would suggest he isn't. Too error prone and slow.
Maria who has to play left back because the only other option is Ryan Kitto..
We don't have a proper third CB to challenge Elsey or even Jakobsen.
And to make matters worse this season has been Strain's worst by far and Marrone these days absolutely sucks at RB and is far too slow.
Those mistakes are on the chairman and Bruce.

By all means criticise the manager for the lack of flexibility, some of the defensive frailties and essentially giving it up but you can't ignore the fact we have a poorly balanced squad with too many similar midfielders and a lack of options in defence.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Good, I hope we sign a local coach instead of again looking abroad, someone like a Tony Vidmar would be worth looking into.
I'd be very careful wishing and hoping for anything like that because next minute super w***er John Aloisi w/Ross at his side will be unveiled.
Wouldn't trust Bruce with an appointment based on his transfer business.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Veart appointed interim coach as Reds return to training

Adelaide United can confirm Carl Veart has been appointed as the Club’s interim Head Coach until the conclusion of the current Hyundai A-League season.
The former Reds striker joined Adelaide’s coaching staff as an assistant in June last year from Football South Australia (FSA) and will now lead the first team on a temporary basis with Airton Andrioli appointed as interim assistant coach for the remainder of the campaign.
Andrioli served as technical director at FSA since 2009 and was an assistant coach with the Young Socceroos between 2015 and 2016.
The former Brazilian midfielder will also remain in his current position as South Australia’s NTC head coach, where he succeeded Veart in the role.
Reds players will return to training on Wednesday, 17 June after the Football Federation Australia today announced an extension of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season until 31 August 2020.
Veart holds an AFC Pro Licence and was previously an Australian U-20 Assistant Coach in addition to serving as an assistant at United during Aurelio Vidmar’s tenure.
Veart follows Vidmar and Michael Valkanis in becoming the third member to have represented the Club as both a player and manager.

Speaking on accepting the role as interim boss, Veart said: “I’m extremely proud to be given this opportunity to coach Adelaide United in the short term.
“I have learned a lot this season as an assistant and certainly looking forward to the extra responsibility and challenge of leading this team.
“Our goal with five games to go will be to push for a finals spot and I believe this team is capable of achieving that.”
Adelaide United Director of Football, Bruce Djite, added: “Carl’s knowledge and tactical understanding of the game are second to none.
“Having worked with these players all season, I’m confident Carl can make the step up as head coach and do a tremendous job.
“Carl has a wealth of experience from his accomplished playing career and as a proud South Australian he also knows the landscape and what it takes to succeed being a former Red.”
In the meantime, the Club is continuing its search for a new Head Coach having already received substantial expressions of interest for the role.

Back