Preview Adelaide v Brisbane - Election day 2019 - A chance to catch up with a couple of old friends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
The boys travel to Brisbane this weekend to say hello to old friends Jarryd Lyons and Charlie Cameron. Hopefully they will not leave them with too much cheer!

The Lions are on the up and will be hungry after going down to the Dogs. The game will be played in balmy conditions and no doubt at a frenzied pace.

After four solid wins the Crows will be keen to show that they really have turned the corner by winning this. The Lions will be keen to make a statement after last weeks relatively narrow loss to the Dog's.

The preview below says the Lions to kick over 100 points. Our increasingly acclaimed and recognised defensive unit have good reason to think otherwise. Even so, the article does not declare a winner, implying that the Lions defence could be their weak spot. Are we in for a shoot out?

I think we will have to work for this win, but will hold them better defensively and outscore them offensively. Contested footy will be the key. Being election day I need to cast my vote. I say Adelaide to gain more respect in a real tough one. Expect a suspenseful afternoon before breaking out the popcorn for more drama with the freaky 'Don's Party' Saturday night! I'm not going to buy into that one here! Crows by 11-20 points.

Here is the link for the preview below: https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-05-14/preview-adelaide-v-brisbane

Preview: Adelaide v Brisbane
May 14, 2019 11:13AM

613116-tlslargelandscape.jpg

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 21: Eddie Betts of the crows in action during the 2018 AFL round 18 match between the Brisbane Lions and the Adelaide Crows at The Gabba on July 21, 2018 in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Jason O'Brien/AFL Media)
Where and when: The Gabba, Saturday May 18, 2.10pm AEST
Last time they met: The Gabba, Round 18, 2018: Adelaide 13.15 (93) defeated Brisbane 13.10 (88)
Adelaide put a halt to Brisbane's three-game winning streak with a nail-biting late-season victory. Matt Crouch (40 disposals) dominated in the midfield, while Hugh Greenwood kicked four goals – and hit the post twice – to lead the attack in the absence of suspended skipper Taylor Walker.
What it means for Brisbane: Victory would likely push the Lions back into the top four and erase Saturday's loss to the Western Bulldogs. Brisbane has won three out of its four matches at the Gabba this year, a trend it would like to continue as it searches for a true home ground advantage.
What it means for Adelaide: It doesn't seem that long ago the Crows were getting hammered for a slow start to their season – now they're sitting in third place on the ladder. A fifth straight win here, interstate, would start to justify the pre-season hype and help separate the Crows as a top-four candidate.
How Brisbane wins: Get back to the pressure level that has defined its early-season success. With some question marks over their defence, the Lions rely on winning the contested ball and keeping it in their forward 50.
How Adelaide wins: In Brisbane's three losses this season, the opposition blueprint is there. Match the Lions around the contest and if you can get the ball inside 50 quickly, to one-on-one contests, you can usually have success scoring. Got to win the ball in tight first, though.

650301_lp.jpg

The stat: Three-time All Australian Jeremy McGovern has taken 26 intercept marks this season – but that doesn't lead the competition. The man with that honour is Adelaide defender Alex Keath, who has 28.
The match-up: Darcy Gardiner v Tom Lynch
Gardiner looks perfectly suited to play on Adelaide's third tall forward. Lynch is quietly having another excellent season, averaging 21 disposals and six marks and is the perfect link between the Crows' midfield and forward line.
It's a big week for: Charlie Cameron
It's been more than 18 months since Cameron left the Crows following the 2017 Grand Final, but after foot surgery wiped out the second half of last year, this will be the first time the small forward has faced his former club.
Big call: Brisbane to be the first team to score 100 points this season against the Crows

Last edited:
Not really sure how I feel about this one.

Brisbane are on the rise but seem to be a bit inconsistent and it depends which Lions turn up. If we win the clearance and I50 numbers then I think we win but I'm not overly confident. Leg speed is the main area where Brisbane worry me and if we allow them to move the ball quickly then we will be in trouble but if we can restrict this, then I think we win.

I anticipate that Neale will be the best ballwinner on the park and singlehandedly offset our five beefy inside midfield boys

Then McLuggage and Zorko and Cameron and their other quick players will destroy us on the outside

Will we be able to slow them up enough that our tall strong defence can completely neutralise their OK forward line?

Or not, and our tall slow defence will be exposed by their runners.

I expect Brisbane to win as I expect them to win most games at home this year.

We do have a chance if we can slow them down enough to turn it into a pack-to-pack slog. But it will be tough.

If we win, can we have Noble back?

Has anyone even seen or heard from Burton in recent times? They've done a pretty good job of hiding him.

It wont be "that" balmy up here. Heading down to have a look. We have had a bit of rain lately and the nights are getting cooler.

If we can slow them down we are a massive chance.
Brisbane's current forecast for Saturday of 16 to 25 is quite balmy compared to what most of us in the south are experiencing atm.

I know that Brisbane can cool off overnight in winter (I have family there we frequently visit), yet except for the coldest half dozen days or so you guys have it a treat.

When I lived on the Gold Coast for a year I even used to go swimming and body surfing in winter with my southern mates who visited, along with quite a few other southerners.

Big call: Brisbane to be the first team to score 100 points this season against the Crows

No.

Nope.

Crows by 2-3 goals...minimum.

Smother Zorko, and restrict Rich or at least be set up for his bombs out of their defence. Cramp delivery to Hipwood...and lock Charlie in the change rooms. Game over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have had 2 massively energy draining wins, if the sore boddies hold up this week we should win.

Brisbane do go fast but they also turn the ball over alot, and we love scoring from turnovers it usually generates 60% of our score.

We just need to play smart football, which is what we've done the past two weeks.

3rd in the comp for points scored and 5th for points conceded.

They roll the dice and are fun to watch, if it comes off they hurt you but if not they leave themselves very exposed.

As per the post above they are torched on turnover. Big chance here, only concern is fatigue from 2 grinding matches

It wont be "that" balmy up here. Heading down to have a look. We have had a bit of rain lately and the nights are getting cooler.

If we can slow them down we are a massive chance.
It’s a day game and a projected 25 degrees. The Gabba plays “hot” - I’ve been there at 25 and got mightily sunburned. Very slight chance of rain (up to 0-5 mm).

If this was at home we could expect to win comfortably. At the Gabba makes it a more interesting test

If Brisbane score 100 they win

They wont score 100

Fun Facts with Grotto

Lions have hit 100 5/8 games in 2019. Lions have conceded 100 just once.

Crows have hit 100 1/8 games in 2019. No team in 2019 has score 100 against the Crows, highest was 99.

I guess we'll see how we go, but Collingwood flogged them at home and they lost to the Dogs and Bombers away.

I'm not convinced with Brisbane, they're improving and they look good, but they have also been shown up. They've actually done this before a few years ago, won the first 4 games and were looking like world beaters, unfortunately the wins were against spud teams and the second they met a real opponent their form evaporated. Not saying that is what will happen here, but it could be that they haven't improved quite as much as people thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back