Game Day Adelaide v Brisbane, Sun 28/6/20 @1.15pm => FACE/OFF: OH HOWE ARE THE MYGHTIE OUERTHROWEN

Brisbane winning margin? Will a senior get recalled? Who will debut? What tattoo should I get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
FACE/OFF: Adelaide v Brisbane, Sun 28/6/20 @1.15pm =>
OH HOWE ARE THE MYGHTIE OUERTHROWEN

r0_7_594_342_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

It has finally happened. For years, I'd write a FACE/OFF thread versus Brisbane, safe in the knowledge we were probably a better team. I had fun writing them - there was a Billy Joel song one, a long rambling one that referenced Pokemon GO, Die Hard and the Money Pit, and a really fun one that was a Choose Your Own Adventure game:

2014 - With Billy Joel parody song: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-lions-round-20-sun-aug-10th-1-10pm.1071954/
2015 - A Tale Of Two Cities: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-brisbane-round-13-4-15-june-27-2015.1101633/
2016 - The Magnificent 7 vs Suicide Squad: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/face-off-–-adelaide-v-brisbane…-or-the-magnificent-seven-15-v-suicide-squad.1140072/
2017 - Choose Your Own Adventure: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-off-adventure-adelaide-vs-brisbane.1159237/
2018 - Greatest Hits Package: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-face-off-crows-v-lions-7pm-saturday-21-7.1199098/
2019 - took a year off while to write my debut novel, "The Animal We Built Ourselves", i plan to finish soon and release it. Serious. It's the last thing I plan to do with my life.

but now it's 2020. It's been a ******* crazy year in the world, and that's putting it mildly. There's a pandemic, a near total financial collapse, global protests around Black Lives Matter, and my own impending mortality. It's enough for somebody to just go, "* it". But I digress - like I said, "safe in the knowledge we "were probably a better team."

...and now I've never felt less safe about this statement. We've seen our respective teams in the last year. No one who isn't legally of sound mind thinks we're a better team than we were. For instance, here's the betting for next weekend's game as of 3am Monday 22/6/20:

1592761438501.png

Note how Brisbane are overwhelming favourites? What's our record for the last ten years? (https://finalsiren.com/PreviousGames.asp)

1592756753308.png

By my count, that's 10-3. You'd be happy with that kind of streak against anyone. So what happened? For me, it was hubris. Mid-table finishes and "make the 8 and anything can happen" and a board that never cleaned up after itself, an SANFL that treated us as a cash cow, a CEO not worth the bucket of spit here in my office (yes, i have a spit bucket, the dexamethasone causes excessive salivation), and a legal structure that prohibited engagement by the wider supporter base. A deadly cocktail. Now we have a list bereft of talent, untried coaches, an operations stacked with people too insular to trust. Having failed to grease the wheels, we have ground to a halt.

So yes - Lo, How Are The Mighty Overthrown!

So Gil Scott-Heron famously sang, "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised". But it looks now that he was wrong-ish, bnecause we're going to watch our club fall apart on TV every weekend for the rest of the year. Hell, it will be livestreamed on Twitter. So, I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Deaneus!, why aren't we a better team anymore? Can you point out where you think it went wrong?

First, the Players:

Peeps. You fall into a few categories here. There are those of you who aren't good enough. Some of you are one-way runners. Some of you are young and been shut out of the team due to piss-poor selection policies. Some of you are going to get screwed through no fault of your own. Some of you are going to get better deals than you deserve. There are good things in some of you - Doedee, Fogarty, Hamill, McHenry, Jones , McAsey - the core of a good side is there but we will need patience, and there are draft picks coming. Keep the faith, for there are dark times ahead, but there will be a premiership. The rest of you, have a think about what you want to do and where you want to be next year. I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

Second, the Coaches:

Do we even have any coaches? We have Nicksy, who must be shaking his head. Interim coach, here we come. We also have

Defence: Marty Mattner, left for greener pastures.
Midfield: Mick Godden, is still here.
Forward: Ben Hart, on suspension, he can't hurt us anymore.
Ruck: Matthew Clarke, still on the team
Development: Heath Younie, still here too i think.

We don't appear to have a gameplan, or at least our players can't execute it, so the coaches have got their work cut out for them. Bad times at the OK Corral. I did see this though I thought I'd show you:

It looks good that all of our coaches bar the first two have winning records, until you marry that against our lack of premiership success.

Third, the Admin & Board:

Uh. It's always hard to criticise, because we don't see what actually happens, we only see the result. So IMHO, let me now dump on all these people:

Fagan (CEO) - well, he replaced Trigg so that's a tick, sponsorship revenues ballooned as he leveraged the club; and he was CEO and got us a coveted AFLW license and 2 cups. I think he's been hamstrung by others talking up their footying, but administratively he's done the job, i think.
Chapman (Chairman) - i promise to tell you the truth. Wait I can't.
Roo - hmmm... svengali or savior?
Jameson - hmmm. On the board by name recognition.
The rest of the board - *crickets*
Smart (Chief Operating Officer) - classic example of a bloke who's only ever failed upwards. He's probably Just Right for the job.
Adam Kelly (Head of Football) - it's a bit early but at least we know he's busy
Daniel Jackson (Leadership Development Manager) - too early but he's got some stuff to do

There's a few people in that list that need to go. We need a big broom.

Fourth, the Supporters:

Thought you'd get away with it? Nope. It's bad enough we get idiots on Facebook constantly backing the club. If anything, we should be backing *over* the club with a dumptruck. These people need to be given short shrift, and ridiculed.

In the seminal masterwork of Alan Moore, V for Vendetta, Moore ******* stabs the audience with a broadsword through the chest, as he often does. You're probably used to the movie, where ultra-hottie Natalie Portman shaves her head and leads the fight against the *bad government*. Great movie but IMHO it chickens out of THE CENTRAL POINT OF THE BOOK.

1906696611_837b788e5f_o.jpg 1906709103_2cbf6e2517_o.jpg 1906891627_8bba3604d3_o.jpg

The centre of the story Moore wrote which Hioolywood bastardised, is that we have bad government because we keep voting it in. For something to be right, it is *our responsibilty*. That was his whole message - your freedom is your own, and you are responsible for it, so educate yourselves and take charge of your lives. The world is full of people who say they have your best interests at heart, and it's bullshit. Stand up and be counted, or you end up with human-shaped piles of s**t like Donald Trump taking away your rights. Never forget you live in a police state, and never forget the government should fear *you*. The mandate to govern is with your consent. Withdraw your consent and fight back!

160922_atm_charlotte_protest_16x9_992.jpg
selection night turned nasty when Mackay got a recall

Yes, I know they're unelected positions here at the footy club, the ones that need changing. And you know how you do it? You COMPLAIN. You WHINE and BITCH and MOAN until it's just easier for people like Chapman to do the right thing, or stand aside. Chapman's already said he's leaving, and sure maybe the club needs him to steward us through this most difficult hour... But I'm not just talking about the club. I'm talking about everywhere. If you don't like something about the world, change it.

this is our proud club right now

And Brisbane?

They're in 5th spot, 2-1, 107%, and a list that makes me salivate: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-brisbane-lions

Deaneus's final outcome:
- a big name to be dropped
- another debutant
- Gibbs or Mackay to come in
- Brisbane by 10 goals at least

I will post later in the week via my alter-ego Gamblor, and it will be glorious.
Don't forget to vote in the poll above, so I can release the winning design of my "Why Not Get a Face Tattoo?" Competition

And so you know it's really me...

Last edited:
Looking forward to Roo picking more fights with former players on Twitter this week. I reckon Cameron will get stuck in.

Betts are Off Predictions

1) Brisbane have not even gotten out of 2nd gear so far this season. That changes on Sunday. Lions win by 12+ goals
2) Crows swing the axe at the selection table, but surprise surprise, no big names (Murphy, Atkins, Kelly)
3) 1 debutant (McAdam as it was teased last week)
4) ROB is BOG for Crows, clear daylight to 2nd

It has finally happened. For years, I'd write a FACE/OFF thread versus Brisbane, safe in the knowledge we were probably a better team. I had fun writing them - there was a Billy Joel song one, a long rambling one that referenced Pokemon GO, Die Hard and the Money Pit, and a really fun one that was a Choose Your Own Adventure game:

2014 - With Billy Joel parody song: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-lions-round-20-sun-aug-10th-1-10pm.1071954/
2015 - A Tale Of Two Cities: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-brisbane-round-13-4-15-june-27-2015.1101633/
2016 - The Magnificent 7 vs Suicide Squad: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/face-off-–-adelaide-v-brisbane…-or-the-magnificent-seven-15-v-suicide-squad.1140072/
2017 - Choose Your Own Adventure: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-off-adventure-adelaide-vs-brisbane.1159237/
2018 - Greatest Hits Package: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-face-off-crows-v-lions-7pm-saturday-21-7.1199098/
2019 - took a year off while fighting with my record company

but now it's 2020. It's been a ******* crazy year in the world, and that's putting it mildly. There's a pandemic, a near total financial collapse, global protests around Black Lives Matter, and my own impending mortality. It's enough for somebody to just go, "fu** it". But I digress - like I said, "safe in the knowledge we "were probably a better team."

...and now I've never felt less safe about this statement. We've seen our respective teams in the last year. No one who isn't legally of sound mind thinks we're a better team than we were. For instance, here's the betting for next weekend's game as of 3am Monday 22/6/20:

View attachment 897128

Note how Brisbane are overwhelming favourites? What's our record for the last ten years? (https://finalsiren.com/PreviousGames.asp)

View attachment 897120

By my count, that's 10-3. You'd be happy with that kind of streak against anyone. So what happened? For me, it was hubris. Mid-table finishes and "make the 8 and anything can happen" and a board that never cleaned up after itself, an SANFL that treated us as a cash cow, a CEO not worth the bucket of spit here in my office (yes, i have a spit bucket, the dexamethasone causes excessive salivation), and a legal structure that prohibited engagement by the wider supporter base. A deadly cocktail. Now we have a list bereft of talent, untried coaches, an operations stacked with people too insular to trust. Having failed to grease the wheels, we have ground to a halt.

So yes - Lo, How Are The Mighty Overthrown!

So Gil Scott-Heron famously sang, "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised". But it looks now that he was wrong-ish, bnecause we're going to watch our club fall apart on TV every weekend for the rest of the year. Hell, it will be livestreamed on Twitter. So, I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Deaneus!, why aren't we a better team anymore? Can you point out where you think it went wrong?

First, the Players:

Peeps. You fall into a few categories here. There are those of you who aren't good enough. Some of you are one-way runners. Some of you are young and been shut out of the team due to piss-poor selection policies. Some of you are going to get screwed through no fault of your own. Some of you are going to get better deals than you deserve. There are good things in some of you - Doedee, Fogarty, Hamill, McHenry, Jones , McAsey - the core of a good side is there but we will need patience, and there are draft picks coming. Keep the faith, for there are dark times ahead, but there will be a premiership. The rest of you, have a think about what you want to do and where you want to be next year. I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

Second, the Coaches:

Do we even have any coaches? We have Nicksy, who must be shaking his head. Interim coach, here we come. We also have

Defence: Marty Mattner, left for greener pastures.
Midfield: Mick Godden, is still here.
Forward: Ben Hart, on suspension, he can't hurt us anymore.
Ruck: Matthew Clarke, still on the team
Development: Heath Younie, still here too i think.

We don't appear to have a gameplan, or at least our players can't execute it, so the coaches have got their work cut out for them. Bad times at the OK Corral. I did see this though I thought I'd show you:

It looks good that all of our coaches bar the first two have winning records, until you marry that against our lack of premiership success.

Third, the Admin & Board:

Uh. It's always hard to criticise, because we don't see what actually happens, we only see the result. So IMHO, let me now dump on all these people:

Fagan (CEO) - well, he replaced Trigg so that's a tick, sponsorship revenues ballooned as he leveraged the club; and he was CEO and got us a coveted AFLW license and 2 cups. I think he's been hamstrung by others talking up their footying, but administratively he's done the job, i think.
Chapman (Chairman) - i promise to tell you the truth. Wait I can't.
Roo - hmmm... svengali or savior?
Jameson - hmmm. On the board by name recognition.
The rest of the board - *crickets*
Smart (Chief Operating Officer) - classic example of a bloke who's only ever failed upwards. He's probably Just Right for the job.
Adam Kelly (Head of Football) - it's a bit early but at least we know he's busy
Daniel Jackson (Leadership Development Manager) - too early but he's got some stuff to do

There's a few people in that list that need to go. We need a big broom.

Fourth, the Supporters:

Thought you'd get away with it? Nope. It's bad enough we get idiots on Facebook constantly backing the club. If anything, we should be backing *over* the club with a dumptruck. These people need to be given short shrift, and ridiculed.

In the seminal masterwork of Alan Moore, V for Vendetta, Moore ******* stabs the audience with a broadsword through the chest, as he often does. You're probably used to the movie, where ultra-hottie Natalie Portman shaves her head and leads the fight against the *bad government*. Great movie but IMHO it chickens out of THE CENTRAL POINT OF THE BOOK.

View attachment 897133View attachment 897134View attachment 897210

The centre of the story Moore wrote which Hioolywood bastardised, is that we have bad government because we keep voting it in. For something to be right, it is *our responsibilty*. That was his whole message - your freedom is your own, and you are responsible for it, so educate yourselves and take charge of your lives. The world is full of people who say they have your best interests at heart, and it's bullshit. Stand up and be counted, or you end up with human-shaped piles of sh*t like Donald Trump taking away your rights. Never forget you live in a police state, and never forget the government should fear *you*. The mandate to govern is with your consent. Withdraw your consent and fight back!

View attachment 897136
selection night turned nasty when Mackay got a recall

Yes, I know they're unelected positions here at the footy club, the ones that need changing. And you know how you do it? You COMPLAIN. You WHINE and BITCH and MOAN until it's just easier for people like Chapman to do the right thing, or stand aside. Chapman's already said he's leaving, and sure maybe the club needs him to steward us through this most difficult hour... But I'm not just talking about the club. I'm talking about everywhere. If you don't like something about the world, change it.

this is our proud club right now

And Brisbane?

They're in 5th spot, 2-1, 107%, and a list that makes me salivate: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-brisbane-lions

Deaneus's final outcome:
- a big name to be dropped
- another debutant
- Gibbs or Mackay to come in
- Brisbane by 10 goals at least

I will post later in the week via my alter-ego Gamblor, and it will be glorious.
Don't forget to vote in the poll above, so I can release the winning design of my "Why Not Get a Face Tattoo?" Competition

And so you know it's really me...

Now this is the quality content I come to Bigfooty for

If Brisbane return to the form of last year, this could easily be 100+ conditions permitting. Especially if we back in the seniors again.
Sunny, with a few clouds. Cold by Brisbane standards, 20 degrees. And this time of year, possibly a mild westerly, which you want behind at the start of the game, as it dies off by 2-3pm.

Wouldn't be surprised to see your mob come out and try to rectify what's been a horrid start to the season.

Our boys probably still aren't used to winning big and certainly are not the sort of team that can just rock up and expect to win (Look at our loss to Carlton last year).

Everything says this is a 80 point drubbing but I have a sneaky feeling it may be more similar to the 1 point result of last season. Maybe that's just the Lions supporter in me that has seen us get thumped week in week out for the better part of 10 years straight and still isn't used to being good again. Who knows.

Wouldn't be surprised to see your mob come out and try to rectify what's been a horrid start to the season.

Our boys probably still aren't used to winning big and certainly are not the sort of team that can just rock up and expect to win (Look at our loss to Carlton last year).

Everything says this is a 80 point drubbing but I have a sneaky feeling it may be more similar to the 1 point result of last season. Maybe that's just the Lions supporter in me that has seen us get thumped week in week out for the better part of 10 years straight and still isn't used to being good again. Who knows.

I'm guessing you weren't doing forward analysis yesterday afternoon then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only hope we have is if the Brisbane lads go into the game thinking it will be an easy win and then get caught in the wrong mindset and cant rectify it.. run out onto the ground thinkin its gonna be a cakewalk, next minute they’re 8 goals down and can’t find a way to change the mindset..

This has happened to many, many teams in the past.. especially younger, less experienced one’s.. complacency is a killer..

Definately not saying it will happen or there is a big chance of it.. just that you never say never.

I actually hope we lose again this week.. I hope we don’t win a game all season..

But what I don’t want to see is totally and utterly shite performances where players don’t even seem interested, especially the older players.. at least show some signs of competitiveness ffs..

We get some good draft pics in the next couple of years.. snag a good trade or two here and there along the way.. have our youngsters develop. make some changes to the admin.. and we’ll be back up there again in no time.

Look at Brisbane, spooners not that long ago (2017 FFS!!), poorly coached prior to Fagan arriving, full of youth, couldn’t win, supporters not bothering to turn up and watch em.. now contenders just three years later

Our club needs to come bottom four for a couple of seasons for the first time in its history.. not only for the reality check and to force changes but to get the “elite of the elite“ youth into the list...

How many no. 1, 2, 3 or 4 draft picks have ever walked into our club to start their careers?.. anyone know?

I don’t care about the score (which I think will be 10 goals plus) I just want to see some effort for more than half a game.
Tipping Gibbs and Mackay back in for two young players...it’s how we roll.

The only hope we have is if the Brisbane lads go into the game thinking it will be an easy win and then get caught in the wrong mindset and cant rectify it.. run out onto the ground thinkin its gonna be a cakewalk, next minute they’re 8 goals down and can’t find a way to change the mindset..

This has happened to many, many teams in the past.. especially younger, less experienced one’s.. complacency is a killer..

Definately not saying it will happen or there is a big chance of it.. just that you never say never.

I actually hope we lose again this week.. I hope we don’t win a game all season..

But what I don’t want to see is totally and utterly sh*te performances where players don’t even seem interested, especially the older players.. at least show some signs of competitiveness ffs..

We get some good draft pics in the next couple of years.. snag a good trade or two here and there along the way.. have our youngsters develop. make some changes to the admin.. and we’ll be back up there again in no time.

Look at Brisbane, spooners not that long ago (2017 FFS!!), poorly coached prior to Fagan arriving, full of youth, couldn’t win, supporters not bothering to turn up and watch em.. now contenders just three years later

Our club needs to come bottom four for a couple of seasons for the first time in its history.. not only for the reality check and to force changes but to get the “elite of the elite“ youth into the list...

How many no. 1, 2, 3 or 4 draft picks have ever walked into our club to start their careers?.. anyone know?
None. Unless you count Brad Crouch number 2 GWS minidraft.

But what I don’t want to see is totally and utterly sh*te performances where players don’t even seem interested, especially the older players.. at least show some signs of competitiveness ffs..

Well we did have pick 4 before on trading to North for Carey in 2002. This became Pick 2 which Kangas picked up Wells with.

Sunny, with a few clouds. Cold by Brisbane standards, 20 degrees. And this time of year, possibly a mild westerly, which you want behind at the start of the game, as it dies off by 2-3pm.
How *in good is it to live up here in winter and get to say 20 degrees is cold!...

What is it down like down there In sunny old Adelaide today fellas?...

Oooow, ouch.. just looked at BOM for radelaide today!.. 15 degrees, cold, wet and windy... 30-40k “souwesta” blowing in straight off the great southern (frozen) ocean.

Still... 30 years ago as a teenager living in Southern Adelaide on days like this I’d be wearing a 4/3 wetsuit, out in the ocean surfing.. totally and utterly freezing but still absolutely stoked to be doing so!..

So the result will hinge on the toss?

Lions easily.

80+ Not joking.

Crows will go so hard they will over-commit, get injured doing so, collide into each other, be made to look stupid after working so hard, only to see the ball whisked away effortlessly for a no-drama-stock-standard-easy Brisbane goal, time after time. Charlie Cameron to kick 5...or more. Bookmark it all.

shutterstock_317513921-2.jpg

I still can't get over sacking back to back premiership coach Marty mattner, but keeping perennial failures in Godden and Hart.
🤡🤡🤡
Picture being Nicks right now.. imagine what he’s thinking..

This could be his one and only chance at being an AFL coach and He’d be having a look around him and looking at the coaching assistance he’s getting wondering Wtf!..

He also knows no AFC coach has kept their job after not making the 8 two seasons in a row..

Not really a good spot for an aspiring AFL coach to be in is it.. could easily become another “Bolton” from here..

Back