Preview Adelaide v Fremantle AO 5/5/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am amazed that we have got this far into the week without a preview. For the sake of simplicity I paste the following that has been in the public domain for a few days. Before doing so I just add a comment or two:

This has all of the hallmarks of being a real classic. Both teams have improved on last year and believe they are in with a chance of going a long way this year, if not all of the way. If one or the other of the teams rollover on Sunday, their reputation as far as being real contenders this year will take a huge hit. If both are competitive and it is the likely blockbuster that some predict, both can walk away with their heads held high and fight to live another day. Both teams have some great tall's. Perhaps Freo has a bit more pace and we a bit more grunt, but we may be splitting hairs here. I think it has the potential to go down to the wire and our home ground advantage gets us home by maybe a coupe of goals. Having said that it could go either way. I'm looking forward to this as the test as to whether we are genuine improvers after our shocking start to the season. For me its the Crows by 5 or 7 points.

Preview: Adelaide v Fremantle
Apr 29, 2019 3:28PM

600303-tlslargelandscape.jpg

PERTH, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 10: Hugh Greenwood of the Crows looks to pass the ball under pressure from Luke Ryan of the Dockers during the 2018 AFL round 12 match between the Fremantle Dockers and the Adelaide Crows at Optus Stadium on June 10, 2018 in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Will Russell/AFL Media)

Where and when: Adelaide Oval, Sunday, May 5, 4.10pm (ACST)

Last time they met: Optus Stadium, round 12, 2018. Fremantle 10.11 (71) defated Adelaide 9.14 (68).
Trailing by 12 points at half-time, the Dockers kicked four unanswered goals in the third quarter before holding the fast-finishing Crows at bay in the final term. Emerging forward Brennan Cox was the hero for the Dockers with four goals.

What it means for Adelaide: The Crows (ninth, 3-3) have the chance to move inside the top eight for the first time this season coming off back-to-back wins against Gold Coast and St Kilda.

What it means for Fremantle: The Dockers (second, 4-2) can consolidate their spot near the top of the ladder. They've shown they can secure big scalps on the road having knocked off Greater Western Sydney in Canberra in round five.

How Adelaide wins: The Crows must gain the upper hand in contested footy and clearances. They had a significant edge in both of those areas in their win against St Kilda last weekend, finishing +21 in contested possessions and +12 in clearances.

How Fremantle wins: Lots of overlap run on the outside, move the ball quickly and expose the lack of leg speed in the Crows' midfield.

The stat: The Dockers have a solid recent record against the Crows – with seven wins from their past 14 games – but their Adelaide Oval form is horrible. The Dockers have lost their last five trips to the venue against the Crows and Port Adelaide, with an averaging losing margin of 68 points. Their only win came against the Crows in round nine, 2015.

660573_lp.jpg

The match-up: Rory Sloane v Nat Fyfe
The two most talented players on the ground will be going hammer and tong at each other – although they both might be tagged by other players – at the all-important centre clearances and around the ground. Sloane is ranked 21st in the Official AFL Player Ratings, while Fyfe is ranked fifth.

It’s a big week for: Alex Pearce
The Dockers defender will likely get the job on Crows co-captain Taylor Walker, who burst back to form with four goals against St Kilda last week. Pearce has been outstanding this season and is the rock of the Dockers' backline.

Big call: Crows midfielders Brad and Matt Crouch run riot with 40 or more disposals each.

Prediction: Adelaide by 14 points

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-04-29/preview-adelaide-v-fremantle

We always play horribly against Freo. Even when we win by plenty, it's usually a horrible spectacle. Similar to North Melbourne, they harass us physically, forcing us to play the game on their terms.

This has all the makings of a 62-52 win. I'll happily take the four points and no injuries though.

Dockers are a highly contested team.

Crows like to possess the ball by foot and uncontested marks.

If we can break even in the contest, then we will make better use of our possession.

Fyfe is their one elite contest winner. The rest are ok.

I see two ways Fremantle can win:
- Fyfe dominates us and Sloane is invisible
- Fremantle’s pressure forces us into quick messy plays which creates counter opportunities for their quick running players like Hill and Walters

Otherwise I think we can break even in the contest, keep our composure with the ball, and cruise to a fairly comfortable win similar to last week.

8A13EDA9-2EB7-4BC7-B615-42CAFA0AD019.png DFC2C594-72A5-4AD6-9D3F-232418E3C1AE.png C31B22A8-A9C0-4F23-87F9-923EB765867C.png

Just the one change with Gibbs in for Poholke. Good weather for football forecast. Plenty of in form talented players in the SANFL breathing down the necks of of those in the firsts with us showing we are not afraid to drop regardless or reputation, which should have everyone on their toes and performing to their capacity.

We always play horribly against Freo. Even when we win by plenty, it's usually a horrible spectacle. Similar to North Melbourne, they harass us physically, forcing us to play the game on their terms.

This has all the makings of a 62-52 win. I'll happily take the four points and no injuries though.

That game a few years back when it was pissing down with rain may have been the exception? We played like it was a dry day and were clean as could be and beat them by 100?

I also remember the night we kept them to 1 goal :D And they they dropped the guy (Edit: It was Ryan Murphy) who kicked their only goal the week after! Haha!

Fyfe normally chops us up, and Walters too. Very much a danger game. I want a close fought game so we don't cruise into the Showdown on Saturday night thinking we're king s**t. We're not. get the win, injury free and try to back it up again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We always play horribly against Freo. Even when we win by plenty, it's usually a horrible spectacle.
Admittedly, Round 10, 2017 was an outlier in games between the two,
(https://finalsiren.com/PreviousGames.asp?Team1ID=1&Team2ID=11&Go=Go ) but we belted Freo by 100 points on a wet night at AO.
The Crows played beautiful wet weather footy and Freo were witches' hats bystanders.

Freo's best win this season was away vs GWS for sure, but they lost narrowly to GCS away, yet belted NM who beat us :drunk:. Win-loss form is all over the place, like a lot of teams so far (except Cats and Pies, maybe). Still, AO has not been a happy hunting ground for them.
It's really a clutch game for both teams, isn't it? If the Crows win big, they might go to 4th or 5th spot. If they lose, they're back in the pack of mediocrity.

Sorry for the intrusion - am expecting a loss, but think we will be competitive as our confidence is fairly high and with due respect, this isn't the crows of 2 years ago. Think your win last week was critical for your confidence and that coupled with the home ground advantage will result in a 4 goal win to the crows - importantly don't want to see any injuries!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back