Game Day Adelaide v North Melbourne 7mate R8 1993

Remove this Banner Ad

How much better was the footy back then.

What a crap game we have nowadays - stop start, back sideways.

And how much better is the umpiring, really letting it go.

The players seem better skilled as well, maybe cos players were recriited instead of athetes that could run all day

Brickbats to the coaches for serving up the boring dross we get now.
So fast and skillful. Minimum interchange and were there only 2 umpires? I had forgotten how good some of our players were.

Max Stevens running the boundary for 7 - now there's a flashback

Then at the time as a Adelaide Channel 7 sports journo he’s the only one at the time with access to privileged information from behind the scenes of the club and is also Tony Modra’s part time manager, so shock horror as revealed on the ‘Greatest Season that was: Ninety3’ podcast a couple of years ago that the Essendon Grammar old-boy the week of the 1993 Prelim Final apparently cut up vision from crows matches from ‘93, of all players and bits of play and included it in a information dossier that he sent directly to Kevin Sheedy in the lead up to the match.

Prick.

Easily the best crows player in the early years and brought so much valuable VFL experience and clever play from his years with Footscray. When he still had his speed (‘91-93) he was one of the best attacking mids in the entire league, no secret that later this year in ‘93 Sheedy used Sean Denham expertly on him in the dreaded ‘93 prelim to expose this want to attack and exposed his weakness defensively and also took away the influence of his possessions and it had the ultimate impact it did in the end. Was never quite the same after that game and lots of injuries took away what was left athletically.

In his pomp when he got on his left boot you didn’t see a more accurate kick on the run inside 50 at full pace.

Always wondered if the club were going to bring back their ‘Hall of Fame’ thing (remember that?) from the 25th anniversary this year for the 30th anniversary (or they might just have flat out forgotten about it as well) whether McGuiness & McDermott would’ve been added and rightfully recognised this time for their contribution to the club’s start and early years and whether it would’ve been possible despite any personal matters or long standing personal or organisational feuds.
Only gave a handball when he knew he was going to get it back

Awesome to re-watch a great Crows game!

My analysis of why retro footy is better than modern footy:
- less team zoning tactics
- players had more defined positions and the game flowed better for it
- forwards knew how to kick goals and they don’t bother doing the tackling (eg. Mods)

Great to see the Weed again! One of my favorite Crows player with mongrel of all time!

Off topic. I'm watching the old showdown on now on 7 Mate. What happened to Lewis Johnson? Was he good? It just says on Wikipedia that he had some injuries and it was all over

Lazy in every single thing he did

Off topic. I'm watching the old showdown on now on 7 Mate. What happened to Lewis Johnson? Was he good? It just says on Wikipedia that he had some injuries and it was all over
Was delisted by crows but has forged a good career out at Norwood
Last Season and 2018 seasons below. Plays mainly wing and half back.
1585971073562.png

2018 Stats

1585971146371.png

I said it during the match last night how Mods would be dragged now for a couple his efforts but he did end up with the goal. Not sure if it was Lazy or smart by him. But his fist goal. The kick came in long towards the pack. Archer leaves mods who just stood down behind the pack. The ball the got knocked forward and Roo with a big knock on to Mods who was by himself in the Goal Square. Another one in the second qtr again mods just jogs towards the pack and stands down while Archer again goes up. Mickan spoils it and Robbo taps it down to Mods who snaps the goal.

23. 45 minute mark and 24:15 minute mark

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game was the first AFL game I saw live, and what a game it was.

Sat down with the missus and watched it again last night, she was impressed by that bloke wearing number 6 for the Crows, but more so the style of game that it was.

The way the game should be played IMO.

Ive been to hundreds of afl games and to this day this game is the best game i have been to. It had everything. Modra kicking 10 goals and mark of the year, carey and robran kicking goals from chf,high scoring and non stop action.

More importantly high scoring, open football and the way afl should be played. All the people involved in afl today should be watching a game like this and be ashamed of what the game has deteriated into today. Their rolling zones,flooding and over coaching has destroyed the game. Most people come to the game to watch the big marks,great goals, one on one contests not to watch how many tackles each player has had at the end of the game.

Ive been to hundreds of afl games and to this day this game is the best game i have been to. It had everything. Modra kicking 10 goals and mark of the year, carey and robran kicking goals from chf,high scoring and non stop action.

More importantly high scoring, open football and the way afl should be played. All the people involved in afl today should be watching a game like this and be ashamed of what the game has deteriated into today. Their rolling zones,flooding and over coaching has destroyed the game. Most people come to the game to watch the big marks,great goals, one on one contests not to watch how many tackles each player has had at the end of the game.
Playing on instincts, that’s when footy is played at it’s best

What stood out to me was how much time and space players had. Skills will always look better.

How many times was the ball kicked wide to one or even two players in the clear by about 40 metres?
Yep. The professionalisation of the league brought about much fitter players. This has turned the game into the rolling maul shitfest you see today. In the old days, they just couldn't cover the amount of ground they do now, so there was a lot more space.

What stood out to me was how much time and space players had. Skills will always look better.

How many times was the ball kicked wide to one or even two players in the clear by about 40 metres?
Accountable footy players didn’t drop off a guard space, you were rewarded for hard work a could find space instead of running into a zone

All the nostalgia in this thread just seems really naive.

It's not as if people somehow were better and more skilled, when they were playing the game while often having second jobs etc.

The challenge is - a team that fills space and denies clean disposal and constantly puts ugly pressure on will beat a team that wants to play open football. Modern players COULD play like this - you watch them when they're playing under less pressure and the ball never hits the ground.

But how do we get the game to be more open again? Every year there are ideas, but maybe its just not possible to put that genie back in the bottle.

All the nostalgia in this thread just seems really naive.

It's not as if people somehow were better and more skilled, when they were playing the game while often having second jobs etc.

The challenge is - a team that fills space and denies clean disposal and constantly puts ugly pressure on will beat a team that wants to play open football. Modern players COULD play like this - you watch them when they're playing under less pressure and the ball never hits the ground.

But how do we get the game to be more open again? Every year there are ideas, but maybe its just not possible to put that genie back in the bottle.
That's probably true, but it would be nice to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back