Preview Round 8: Adelaide vs Essendon, Adelaide Oval, Sunday 26/07/2020, 1:05 PM AEST

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1993 we had Salmon surrounded by smalls with Hirdy really CHF and the other forwards being Mercs Bewick Timmy and whomever was resting off the ball (Longy.Misiti,Calthorpe,Hills) - this forward line now is about 1/10th as good

Also a midfield unit that could kick goals on the run from the fifty point line and assist up forward. A more naturally skilled forward line.

The game has become so defensive now and that’s the big change. Kevin Bartlett talked about this a few weeks ago. The game is so defensive now that it’s the first choice! In the past, back in the 90s and 2000s it was a more offensive and open game, with the priority being that and defensive second. It’s why scores are lower and it’s why games are so congested and tackle heavy now.

I agree with KB and personally prefer the old style of game rather then watching hot potato tackle focussed football, it’s sort of getting a bit old now.

Bellchambers: sh*t around the ground, good tap ruck.
Phillips: Less sh*t around the ground, sh*t tap ruck.

He's averaging 8.3 touches, 3.3 tackles and 2.7 marks. Let's call him what he is, sh*t. I'm not thrilled that Bellchambers is playing. I've repeatedly said that he's cooked. But as far as his best tap work, his tap work in round 1 was good (though a long time ago I freely acknowledge), round 2 was okay (27 hitouts, 7 to adv), round 4 was poor.

He's had one good, one okay and one poor game across the three weeks in terms of tap work.

Both are crap right now. Phillips has had one solid game and people are acting as if he's being unjustifyably dropped when the past two weeks he's been completely and utterly spanked. If Bellchambers had the game Phillips did last week everyone would be screaming from the rooftops.

I don't give a damn about the actual hit outs. Hit outs by themselves are a meaningless stat. Hitouts to advantage though, he's been beaten every week. And as I pointed out earlier, his opponents are averaging over 20 disposals a game.

Both are sh*t around the ground and at "repeat contests". One is better, but still sh*t. The other can still spoonfeed our midfielders.

The argument for Phillips is that he's less sh*t at one part of the game. But there's the crux of the thing, he's still sh*t at it. 27 rucks are averaging double figure hit outs. 15 of those are averaging 10 or more disposals.

How many times do I need to say that I think Bellchambers is cooked for that to get through to everyone? Do I need to say it in every post on this board from here on in? In my ideal world right now we'd have Draper playing, but he's still not ready. But for the love of god can we call Phillips for the spud that he is and always has been? Or does the Collingwood game mean that he gets a free pass from here on in even though he's been horrible for the last fortnight?

TLTR

Not sure why so much fuss over Bellchambers being selected instead of Phillips - neither are great and rotating them until Draper ready is fine....
I'm more baffled with the selection of Townsend over Stewart when our forward line is crying out for a tall mobile forward - not a mid sized wrecking ball who cant run and had 4 possessions last week - any other team and your dropped..
Also why on earth cant Clarke get a run when we need a big bodied inside mid? Surely he gets a run before the likes of Cahill and Snelling..??
Some baffling selections here (or non-selections) - we are all set up to hand the Crows their 1st win for 2020 :(

Lol we're losing this by 5 goals.

Why pick bellchambers, campaigners a crab.
Belly, phillips, draper - doesnt really matter.
This is the 3rd essington certainty

1-lose to the blues
2-lose to the dogs in embarrassing fashion
3-lose to a side thats gone 5+ games without a win.

If you prepare yourself now, it makes for a less painful weekend

If we win I hope everyone who was all doom and gloom this week shuts up for a while. FMD with the way some are acting you'd think we're the winless team coming up against the flag favourites.

Belly, phillips, draper - doesnt really matter.
This is the 3rd essington certainty

1-lose to the blues
2-lose to the dogs in embarrassing fashion
3-lose to a side thats gone 5+ games without a win.

If you prepare yourself now, it makes for a less painful weekend
I've prepped for a long time.

If we win I hope everyone who was all doom and gloom this week shuts up for a while. FMD with the way some are acting you'd think we're the winless team coming up against the flag favourites.
This club has given me zero confidence in years.

Hate afternoon games. End up wasting 2-3 hours of the day for nothing.

At least with losing night games, you don't waste an afternoon.

Come on boys, make this one count. I won't feel as guilty in wasting a sunny day if we crush the Crows!

This club has given me zero confidence in years.
We're 4-2. We win and we're guaranteed to jump GWS, Carlton, Richmond, Gold Coast and either Collingwood or West Coast, possibly both and the Bulldogs depending on how much we win by and other results. * me, we lost to a team we haven't beaten since 2014 and all of a sudden we're the worst team in the league?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also a midfield unit that could kick goals on the run from the fifty point line and assist up forward. A more naturally skilled forward line.

The game has become so defensive now and that’s the big change. Kevin Bartlett talked about this a few weeks ago. The game is so defensive now that it’s the first choice! In the past, back in the 90s and 2000s it was a more offensive and open game, with the priority being that and defensive second. It’s why scores are lower and it’s why games are so congested and tackle heavy now.

I agree with KB and personally prefer the old style of game rather then watching hot potato tackle focussed football, it’s sort of getting a bit old now.

yep, sucks balls, i'm deciding my tips for today & for example looking at the weagles pies game, i mean look at this s**t, shortened quarters doesnt excuse this level of scoring week after week, very hard to get excited.

Untitled.png

We're 4-2. We win and we're guaranteed to jump GWS, Carlton, Richmond, Gold Coast and either Collingwood or West Coast, possibly both and the Bulldogs depending on how much we win by and other results. fu** me, we lost to a team we haven't beaten since 2014 and all of a sudden we're the worst team in the league?
I hear you, but we have a habit of stuffing golden opportunities
images (2).jpg

We're 4-2. We win and we're guaranteed to jump GWS, Carlton, Richmond, Gold Coast and either Collingwood or West Coast, possibly both and the Bulldogs depending on how much we win by and other results. fu** me, we lost to a team we haven't beaten since 2014 and all of a sudden we're the worst team in the league?

Well! I know I'm convinced looking at these results!

1595723184566.png

I have little faith, I admit that, but that's because we have 2 modes.. Essendon and Essington. Depending on if we are switched on. When we are (see Collingwood game), jeez we are delicious..But then we have only just beaten some pretty ordinary sides.

I am praying Bellcho finds some form against O'Brien, but reckon he will win the ruck duel over the old man.

I'm just hoping we get back on track with whatever game plan we are implementing, play Hibberd inside, have a crack for 4 quarters and the Mingma gets a couple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back