Adelaide Vs North - The start of their rebuilds

Remove this Banner Ad

Rad Roo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Comben is not a ruckman. In fact he's more likely to become a CHB than he is a ruckman.

Have you ever seen him move and his build?

He gave Josh Walker a bath during pre-season intraclubs of 2019 playing as a FF/CHF, before he sat out training with hot spots in his back.

alité, then his training as a key back man is true and this telles our defensive stock with him and Mackay the key pillar moving forward.

The Rocks

Rookie
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agreed..... As I have posted when teams go through a 3-5 year rebuilding period, they usually get the Key position playing stocks in the 1st year and then the mids the. Next year and build around them for the next 3-5 years.

I have posted the 2 main options on how most teams get their KPPS.

Option 1 just get all your key position players in the 1st year. So worse case scenario So either get that key forward in the 1st Round and key defender in the 2nd round or the other way round, get the tall defender in the 1st and then tall forward in the. 2nd round. Most teams get their ruckman in the rookie list too.Then in the 2nd year, get a bunch of talented mids.

option 2 is starting at the back then work your way in the front. So spend the 1st year of the rebuild getting a couple of tall defenders then a development ruck in the rookie list.

then in the 2nd year use the 1st rounder on the best KPF available then the 2nd rounder on the best KPF ruck
I like this philosophy especially the drafting of key defensive backs first. All else fails you have the solid defence to build upon!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Instincts

Senior List
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like this philosophy especially the drafting of key defensive backs first. All else fails you have the solid defence to build upon!

Right now, North's defence is currently by far their best position spread and they've got Ben McKay to hold out that #1 shut-down role for the next decade. If you were to take out his poor game against Freo his contested loss rate is better than Weitering and Andrews, and he hasn't been playing on easy opponents either, Lynch, Kennedy, Dixon and Hawkins to name a few he's played on.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

Well Nathan Bock and Ben Rutten both started up forward then spent their best years in the backline, so I get your point.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Finals 2014-2016

2017 is when it started
So yeah 3 years now, 1 more year near the bottom then we launch ala lions
I have posted this before.

I was shocked North got Bottom 4 in 2017. Yes theygot 15th, posted a 6-16 record and lost 3-5 games by under a goal. Freo got 14th that year and had north pinched one close win vs freo in 2017, North and freo would of sqitched ladder spots in North getting 14th and Freo getting 15th.

2018 North were motivated proved that 2017 was a fluke and they proved they were not a bottom 4 side in 2018. They got 12 wins in 2018. Beat the saints by 23 points in that final game of 2018 and got pick 10. they could of tanked and lost that game and got pick 7 instead but didnt.

Instincts

Senior List
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You are very optimistic as a north fan if you think north are going to make finals next season
Obviously would be irrationale to think so, I think it'll be 2023 since I'm quite optimistic and with the standards Ben Buckley has set, yeah it's not looking too good for Noble

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Obviously would be irrationale to think so, I think it'll be 2023 since I'm quite optimistic and with the standards Ben Buckley has set, yeah it's not looking too good for Noble
It's not impossible but in a way it's doable.

Freo went 0-17 in 2001 and somehow make finals 2 years later.

We can talk about the demons under that dreaded time they had Mark Neeld as coach in 2012-13. They somehow miraculously recovered and made a prelim final in 2018.

With Norths current position, I can see them go from bottom 2 in 2020 to finals in 5th to 8th spot in 2023.

North need to recruit some good youth and a some good free agents for a quick rise up the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad