Adelaide Vs North - The start of their rebuilds

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I feel like the 'size' of the club being a factor in FA is often overrated by fans.

If we're talking about the absolute stars of the comp, clearly opportunity is not a factor.
To me it comes down to location, money and opportunity to win.
North has been a middling team for the best part of two decades. If the club can get a good group of kids together and show scope to win, I think they can buck this trend.

Contrary to popular opinon, I actually think the Dusty/Gaff/Kelly situations prove this to some degree, certainly in Dusty's situation he has publicly stated he was close to coming to North, despite the club finishing 15th that season.

He was close to joining North because of how much more they were offering than Richmond - It seems Adelaide made the same offer as North

Martin's manager told him to stay with Richmond because despite a smaller salary, he'll make more in the long run - this was before any flags

It's cool that Dusty will be one club player, but the big clubs have such a structural advantage over small Melbourne and Non-Vic clubs

liamiefor3

Debutant
Oct 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Martin's manager told him to stay with Richmond because despite a smaller salary, *he'll make more in the long run* - this was before any flags

Fair point. I definitely agree the advantages are there, I suppose I am just arguing it is not as big as some say.

Richmond were on their way to a top four finish in 2017 while North were staring down the barrel of a long term rebuild. My logic (maybe naively) is that if the situations were reversed, he may have chosen North.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Lol
I’m not saying the crows kids won’t get better

the statement is for right now
Good point. But no one can predict the crows or north in 3-5 years time.

For all we know by 2024, north could make a preliminary final have 3-5 players in the 2024 AA best 22 and LDU could have won a Brownlow.

I mean 2-3 years ago, I didn't even predict that Ben Brown would of been traded.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Is it just me or was it really obvious that Adelaide were tanking this year?

There were a bunch of teams that looked liked they'd checked out in the last half of the year, whereas Adelaide prioritised development and gametime for their younger players pretty much from the get go.

Never really struck me as a really poor wooden spoon team. Had a lot of losses they were really competitive in, even if the margin was reasonably big.

Think unlike most teams that bum rush a lot of young players at once their squad coped OK, probably partially because the COVID season kind of felt like one big pre-season tournament anyway.

All things considered they'll be better for the moves they made on field this year.

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Rebuilds to grand final tend to be ~ 7 years so a 2028 30 year grand final rematch not out of the question.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Rebuilds to grand final tend to be ~ 7 years so a 2028 30 year grand final rematch not out of the question.

Wayne Carey presents the cup regardless who wins

*pukes*

Maybe Jason McCartney instead

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

*pukes*

Andy Silk McLeod for mine :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't remember him playing for North, but yeah for sure otherwise
Your missing the point. Crows won 98 and Andy got the norm. Thats where I was at.
Best Roo probably Stevens or Carey but that seemed to get decided in the toilet at Stevens house in the end.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

*pukes*

Nah.

Brad Moran.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
First of all I think both clubs are going to be fine, contrary to media noise. Both have decent group of kids and a really healthy draft hand with multiple first rounders this (and likely next) year.

The whole North 2017 rebuild is an important reason as to why North are probably a bit more advanced in terms of that u22 group. It was addressed by Archer in a recent interview - The Footy Dept at the time (Joyce, Scott) had said that they were going to rebuild after the 2016 season, which was the right time. However then they proceeded to throw ridiculous money at stars to try and get a quick fix. I have no doubt that if they had gotten things there way, they would have traded our first rounders through that period (LDU, Simpkin etc) if a player selected us. So we are very lucky that it didn’t happen, because we would be in a pretty dire spot from an u22 perspective now.

We are also lucky that we had a solid NGA, FS haul in 2018 (despite trading our first for Polec and viewing it as a free hit, when really we should have traded up the order or gotten a future first).

I personally am very relieved that the previous footy department is behind us, and we can do this rebuild properly. No short cuts, no bandaids. Draft is our key avenue for talent for the next couple years, and from there FA’s, trades will come. I think this is why the Stephenson and Corr acquisitions this year are so impressive, as they really shouldn’t have happened, but awesome that they did.

I don’t know enough about adelaides footy department, but I assume that they will be in a better position in 2023 then we were in 2020 (if we supposedly started our rebuild in 2017). Hence why I see this offseason as the true beginning of our rebuild, with some luck that we have a pretty decent young group already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goin' to be an interesting 2-4 years at both clubs.

Crows always have historically have pride in being competitive.

Only 3 times the crows have had a period of not making finals for 3 years in a row. That was the 1994-6 period and the current period. In their 30 year history prior to 2020, crows have only finished bottom 4 only twice. In 2011 when they finished 14th out of 17th and 1999 when they finished 13th.

This year they got the spoon and pick 1. But unlike North, got another 1st rounder and 2nd rounder due to trades.

It looks weird seeing the crows not making finals for 4-5 years in a row. I don't see them making finals next season or in 2022 unless there is a massive improvement in their youth and their fringe players.

We have a another 1st rounder, got Melbourne's.

They allowed Rhyce Shaw to convince them that their list was actually good.

Was good enough to beat you last year ...

We're ahead because we have two potential top line centre square mids - LDU and Simpkin - both now with the hard early development years under their belt.

Adelaide still need them.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
A lot of Adelaide's rebuild will hinge on Chayce Jones and Ned McHenry, two first round draft picks from 2018. Both have been massive disappointments so far, although Jones has shown very small glimpses. Happy to cut McHenry some slack, not sure if he battled injury in his first year at the club or not. But those two would want to get their skates on in 2021.
True to a point and i would throw Fogarty , Himmelberg and Stengle but the promise of Sholl , Hamill , Schoenberg and McPherson along with the lesser developed McAsey and Worrell shall reveal plenty over the next few years .

If we nail this draft and develop the core of talent we can be in very good shape entering 2023 onwards . It is a complete rebuild so it will take a little time and sound strategy .

McAdam looks to have a good 5 years ahead of him as a late bloomer . Had to throw him in , he is super exciting .

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)

*pukes*

Scott Welsh

True to a point and i would throw Fogarty , Himmelberg and Stengle but the promise of Sholl , Hamill , Schoenberg and McPherson along with the lesser developed McAsey and Worrell shall reveal plenty over the next few years .

If we nail this draft and develop the core of talent we can be in very good shape entering 2023 onwards . It is a complete rebuild so it will take a little time and sound strategy .

McAdam looks to have a good 5 years ahead of him as a late bloomer . Had to throw him in , he is super exciting .

Do you see yourselves going tall with pick 1?

I reckon McAsey is a defender, not a forward.

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Scott Welsh

Evan Hewitt

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you see yourselves going tall with pick 1?

I reckon McAsey is a defender, not a forward.
Tend to Agree that his most natural position that fits the club moving forward is as that 2nd Tall Defender / Intercept Marker .

Hard to say what we choose first ... gut feel is McDonald , but i am a big wrap for Hollands and Tilthorpe .

Geez , hope that helped , LOL .

Tend to Agree that his most natural position that fits the club moving forward is as that 2nd Tall Defender / Intercept Marker .

Hard to say what we choose first ... gut feel is McDonald , but i am a big wrap for Hollands and Tilthorpe .

Geez , hope that helped , LOL .

Yeah, I reckon you've got that gaping hole in the forward line that screams McDonald.

Young ruck quality ruck in ROB pushes Thilthorpe down the order.

Given I really want Hollands for North - we need another powerful classy mid to go with LDU and Jy - it could work perfectly.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, I reckon you've got that gaping hole in the forward line that screams McDonald.

Young ruck quality ruck in ROB pushes Thilthorpe down the order.

Given I really want Hollands for North - we need another powerful classy mid to go with LDU and Jy - it could work perfectly.
Agreed !

Hollands will an absolute game breaker ... happy with either .

Similar thoughts regarding Tilthorpe , especially as Himmelberg is coming along nicely and ROB still has room for improvement .

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He was close to joining North because of how much more they were offering than Richmond - It seems Adelaide made the same offer as North

Martin's manager told him to stay with Richmond because despite a smaller salary, he'll make more in the long run - this was before any flags

It's cool that Dusty will be one club player, but the big clubs have such a structural advantage over small Melbourne and Non-Vic clubs

But the COVID is the great equaliser, COVID might be the best thing happened to north in that now we have to operate under reduced cap and less funding, for once all clubs have to learn how to be poor. Evidently some of the big clubs has already started to struggle i.e. Collingwood. As a north supporter, i am now actually the most confident and optimistic since the 90s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back