Adelaide Vs North - The start of their rebuilds

Remove this Banner Ad

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fair.

Saints got better. North fell off a cliff.

So not really the gotcha you'd hoped for.

Saints should be pretty good team, might even get back to 2017 level of optimism but ultimately it's a patched up team with better than average players poached from other teams. Can get you to the PF but going further requires homegrown top end talents.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We're ahead because we have two potential top line centre square mids - LDU and Simpkin - both now with the hard early development years under their belt.

Adelaide still need them.

LDU, Simpkin, Thomas + 'pick 2 this year', will dominate the comp from 2023 onwards for a few years. Of course if i could manipulate time, i would have us get harvey and wells to this mix to truly round out the group............

Fair.

Saints got better. North fell off a cliff.

So not really the gotcha you'd hoped for.

The season was suspended for months before restarting in completely changed circumstances and our best midfielder and forward got injured.

So not really the counter argument you're hoping for.

Last edited:

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Matthew Nicks gives me Alan Richardson/ Brendan McCartney vibes tbh. Seems like a good honest guy so I’m wrong and it works out for him.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Matthew Nicks gives me Alan Richardson/ Brendan McCartney vibes tbh. Seems like a good honest guy so I’m wrong and it works out for him.

Depends if the last part of the season was the players following his instructions or just that all the pressure was off.

I recall distinctly the Dogs game, if that midfield was playing to instructions there he has no clue and will not make it. But if they were going into business for themselves that is different. I don't think I have ever seen a team - when losing - leaving a player like Bontempelli alone in the forward half of the ground consistently all game.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s taken Freo 5 yrs to even put together a team to contend for the bottom of the 8 at best and we had some top class veterans

3 yrs is absolutely best case scenario if you draft amazing and get every single big decision right but that’s very hard to do

The best thing North or Crows could do is to release a 3-4 plan of how the ‘ rebuild ‘ will be done and guarantee the supporters that this will be adhered too

People under pressure making selfish decisions to save their jobs is the biggest danger to getting the job done right. Take the power to do that out of their hands and you can avoid trying to run before you can walk

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
It’s taken Freo 5 yrs to even put together a team to contend for the bottom of the 8 at best and we had some top class veterans

3 yrs is absolutely best case scenario if you draft amazing and get every single big decision right but that’s very hard to do

The best thing North or Crows could do is to release a 3-4 plan of how the ‘ rebuild ‘ will be done and guarantee the supporters that this will be adhered too

People under pressure making selfish decisions to save their jobs is the biggest danger to getting the job done right. Take the power to do that out of their hands and you can avoid trying to run before you can walk

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
You look back at the start at Freos rebuild. Freo were 0-10 in 2016. Ended up 4-18 that season. Started out with no 2nd rounder due to a trade with gold coast.

Saying that a few dockers fans knew it was going to be a 4-5 year rebuild.

The 1st season or 1st ,2 seasons are the most important parts of the rebuild as that's when you need the 1st key blocks to build the foundation.

Usually when a team does a rebuild, they do one of 2 options.

1. Get all the key position players in the 1st draft then all the mids in the 2nd draft of the rebuild have have that core.

2. Build from the back then work your way to the front.

Freo did option 2 as in the 2016 draft and 2016 trade period, they got tall defender Joel hamling in a trade then Brennan Cox and Taylin Duman in the draft.

Then the 2017 draft got midfielders in Brayshaw, Cerra, Crowden, Banfield and Giro.

Then in 2018 Freo got 2 tall forwards in Lobb and Hogan through a trade.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matthew Nicks could end up like Alan Richardson. Nice bloke but like Richardson at the saints, came at the club at the wrong time and have to do a long rebuild

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yes communication is key to manage expectations of supporters.

The club did a zoom questions and answer thingo last week. In it list management said that they will not be trying to do this too quickly and that it will be done methodically.

They stated that the next 4 drafts are key and they are looking at it as two seperate blocks 2020-21 and 2022-23.

They also highlighted we will go from having second most 26-28 year olds to most under 23’s. Im very confident the days of baindaids at north are over for awhile. Thank god.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's way too early to judge Nicks just yet.

He's had one preseason with the team, and in that time, there's been about 2 weeks when the whole squad was able to train together.

Add to this he has blooded about 10 new players this year.

Then add that we have moved on all 3 of his assistants - I'm sure we all knew they weren't up to AFL standard.

Then look at our last 4 or 5 weeks - smashed Hawks and Carlton, beat Giants and were close to Geelong. There's upside there for sure.

I still think we will be bottom 4 next year (or hope so, it's a good draft :cool: ), but with the addition of experienced Burns, development of Rahilly and a full PS to learn structures, 10 games into our kids, things can only get better.

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a complete myth that we're at the start of a rebuild. Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Zurhaar, Larkey, Scott, Taylor and now Stephenson isn't ground zero. We're well on our way based on great drafting over the last few years.

I'd have Hawthorn in this conversation. Bottom four team with very little in the cupboard coming through.

Last edited:

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a complete myth that we're at the start of a rebuild. Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Zurhaar, Larkey, Scott, Taylor and now Stephenson isn't ground zero. We're well on our way based on great drafting over the last few years.
Your mids look pretty solid, it'll be the development of KPPs which will potentially take some time. Stephenson is a great get.

Larkey looks good and you will likely end up with McDonald. How is defence looking? McKay, Durdin (did he get delisted). The cupboard appears a little slim, so would be good for the Roos to get another defender IMO.

Roos fans will know more though.

Your mids look pretty solid, it'll be the development of KPPs which will potentially take some time. Stephenson is a great get.

Larkey looks good and you will likely end up with McDonald. How is defence looking? McKay, Durdin (did he get delisted). The cupboard appears a little slim, so would be good for the Roos to get another defender IMO.

Yeah Corr is a key get for us 26 years old has 7 years in him to hold down CHB

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Key positions are certainly the question mark but McKay's made good progress and Corr can play small or tall. There are very high wraps internally on key forward Charlie Comben from last year's draft too. One of 2 or 11 should be a key position player this year.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Key positions are certainly the question mark but McKay's made good progress and Corr can play small or tall. There are very high wraps internally on key forward Charlie Comben from last year's draft too. One of 2 or 11 should be a key position player this year.
Charlie Comben will be a good player. Just needs to get a few games into him ASAP.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

McKay would have finished 4th in Norths B&F based on votes per game.

Completely flew under the radar with the media how good he was this season.

I wouldn't trade him for Harry at this point and he looks as good as any of our kids long term.

You look back at the start at Freos rebuild. Freo were 0-10 in 2016. Ended up 4-18 that season. Started out with no 2nd rounder due to a trade with gold coast.

Saying that a few dockers fans knew it was going to be a 4-5 year rebuild.

The 1st season or 1st ,2 seasons are the most important parts of the rebuild as that's when you need the 1st key blocks to build the foundation.

Usually when a team does a rebuild, they do one of 2 options.

1. Get all the key position players in the 1st draft then all the mids in the 2nd draft of the rebuild have have that core.

2. Build from the back then work your way to the front.

Freo did option 2 as in the 2016 draft and 2016 trade period, they got tall defender Joel hamling in a trade then Brennan Cox and Taylin Duman in the draft.

Then the 2017 draft got midfielders in Brayshaw, Cerra, Crowden, Banfield and Giro.

Then in 2018 Freo got 2 tall forwards in Lobb and Hogan through a trade.

North now also has LDU, Jaidyn Stephenson and Aiden Bonar out of the top 11 of that same draft.

In 2016 we took Jy Simpkin.

As has been stated, we aren't exactly starting out from ground zero, I don't think we are realistically too far off Fremantle.

The whole 5-6 years by some opposition supporters is so overblown.

Let's review in 2 weeks when we add Hollands and Hately to our mids :)

Even if you do get Hollands and Hately you still need to get development games into them.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
This is going to overwhelmingly in favour of NM

Despite that, I think we’ve got some underrated young talent. You forgot Lachie Sholl and Keays for instance. McPherson, Schoenberg and Hamill all showed when they were in the side why they’re exciting players. Himmelberg really kicked on this year, too, and the likes of Fogarty and Jones have shown enough to me that they’ll be good in time

I’m very happy with how we’re going, but yes on paper NM’s talent is real solid
I'm worried about the crows tall defender stocks.

Talia leaves, you got Dodee who can play CHB even if he's 188 CM. McAsey and Brown need games too.

Hoping the crows get a tall defender inthe SANFL in this year's draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back